High 'crit cert

Oyvey1948

Guest
According to the cyclingnews.com piece on David Extebarria,
he says "Like many other cyclists I have a certificate from
the UCI that recognises that I have a haematocrit much
higher than normal, up to 52%."

How many?

"oyvey1948" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> According to the cyclingnews.com piece on David
> Extebarria, he says "Like many other cyclists I have a
> certificate from the UCI that recognises that I have a
> haematocrit much higher than normal, up to 52%."
>
> How many?

I don't know, but here's another question: what evidence is
there that naturally having a high hematocrit provides an
individual with a competitve advantage in endurance sports?
That is, while it is crystal-clear that *elevating*
hematocrit (via EPO, blood doping, etc.) increases VO2max
and improves performance, that doesn't necessarily mean that
those whose "set points" run higher than average are any
better off.

To use my own self as an example: having a hematocrit of
<40% when fit/training hard didn't prevent me from having a
VO2max of >80 mL/min/kg when I was younger...

Andy ("I'm truly curious") Coggan

> "oyvey1948" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > According to the cyclingnews.com piece on David
> > Extebarria, he says "Like many other cyclists I have a
> > certificate from the UCI that recognises that I have a
> > haematocrit much higher than normal, up to 52%."
> >
> > How many?
>
> I don't know, but here's another question: what evidence
> is there that naturally having a high hematocrit provides
> an individual with a
competitve
> advantage in endurance sports? That is, while it is crystal-
> clear that *elevating* hematocrit (via EPO, blood doping,
> etc.) increases VO2max and improves performance, that
> doesn't necessarily mean that those whose "set points" run
> higher than average are any better off.
>
> To use my own self as an example: having a hematocrit of
> <40% when fit/training hard didn't prevent me from having
> a VO2max of >80 mL/min/kg when I was younger...

I keep trying to make this point clear but people don't seem
to be listening - the whole point of blood doping is to
increase oxygen flow to the muscles. However, it is the
EXCHANGE of gases which are the limiting factor and not the
hematocrit. This implies that there are a multitude of
factors involved in which lowered hematocrit might be offset
by total blood volume or by more efficient exchange of CO2
and O2 through the lungs or muscle cell walls.

Those with high hematocrits do NOT necessarily have any
advantages though it doesn't hurt to be at the high end
of normal.

Andy, you know that the UCI is only concerned about the
safety of the riders
:)

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "oyvey1948" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > According to the cyclingnews.com piece on David
> > Extebarria, he says "Like many other cyclists I have a
> > certificate from the UCI that recognises that I have a
> > haematocrit much higher than normal, up to 52%."
> >
> > How many?
>
> I don't know, but here's another question: what evidence
> is there that naturally having a high hematocrit provides
> an individual with a competitve advantage in endurance
> sports? That is, while it is crystal-clear that
> *elevating* hematocrit (via EPO, blood doping, etc.)
> increases VO2max and improves performance, that doesn't
> necessarily mean that those whose "set points" run higher
> than average are any better off.
>
> To use my own self as an example: having a hematocrit of
> <40% when fit/training hard didn't prevent me from having
> a VO2max of >80 mL/min/kg when I was younger...

Notionally I see it as being similar to a directional
derivative in multivariable calculus. The maximum increase
in a function, i.e. peak performance, is dependent on
several factors (vectors). A significant decrease in one of
the factors has a somewhat diminished effect on the overall
result. I'm having to post this through google because
Earthlink is unable to connect to the news reader. Anyone
else having the same problem?

Phil Holman