High-End Aluminum (Ultegra) vs. Low-End Carbon Fiber (105)

Counttwist

Nov 18, 2003
I am a relative newbie looking to buy a road bike in the $1000-1500 range. I will be doing some touring and some training, so I am looking for a "sport bike" that will be comfortable for long rides, but also useful for getting into shape or even on a triathalon once or twice a year.

Seems like I can afford either a low end carbon fiber (or aluminum/carbon mix) bike with the 105 components OR a high-end aluminum bike with Ultegra components, but I don't have the cash for both carbon and Ultegra.

Is the frame material more important than the components? I have looked through some of the threads here, but the debates are usually aluminum vs. steel, not aluminum vs. carbon fiber, and Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace, not Ultegra vs. 105.

I'm not sure I will be able to come to any conclusions test riding the bikes since I won't be able to ride them for distances long enough to really figure out the trade-offs.

Any thoughts?

I think an important consideration here, aside from general frame material and drivetrain level, is the actual grade of the frame material and the quality of the construction. It's possible that the carbon fiber frame you're looking at isn't the greatest representation of carbon fiber.

What else do you know about these frames? What are the makes?

Originally posted by Counttwist

I'm not sure I will be able to come to any conclusions test riding the bikes since I won't be able to ride them for distances long enough to really figure out the trade-offs.

Any thoughts?
How do you expect someone else to tell you what you will like. You did not even mention size and weight, and that matters. Some people hate aluminum,some love it.Which one are you? There is not that much real difference between 105 and ultegra for what you are doing.

In the long term, components are consumables, and can be easily upgraded -- frames aren't. The frame will also impact on matters that are important, such as fit etc.

I would say the frame is more important than the components, but not necessarily frame material .. there are good and bad examples of frames made out of any material.

Do you have some specifics of the bikes you're looking at?

So far, I have looked at Specialized and Giant at mfr booths - I will test ride them next weekend. I have not had a chance to talk to anyone at Trek or any other mfrs.

With Specialized, the trade-off is between:

Allez Elite (E5 Aluminum/105) at $1000
Allez Comp (E5 Aluminum/Ultegra) at $1500
Roubaix (E5 Aluminum/Carbon Fiber Seatstays & Fork/105) at $1700.

With Giant, the trade off is between:

TCR (Aluxx Aluminum/Ultegra)
I don't have the brand name for their Roubaix equivalent, but same idea - better frame, but not as good components.

I can probably get the price down at a store or online, but I doubt I can have my cake and eat it too for the price range I am at.

You can get a cheapo carbon fiber like a Sciattante from Supergo or you can get a lower end Litespeed aluminum for about the same price. Personally, you have to ride the bike to make an informed decision. That being said a quality aluminum with beat a cheap carbon all the way. Nothing wrong with a full 105 group either. You can always upgrade components later, but for the cash you want to spent I'd rather invest the cash in the frame. Good luck.

Originally posted by Counttwist
I am a relative newbie looking to buy a road bike in the $1000-1500 range. I will be doing some touring and some training, so I am looking for a "sport bike" that will be comfortable for long rides, but also useful for getting into shape or even on a triathalon once or twice a year.

Seems like I can afford either a low end carbon fiber (or aluminum/carbon mix) bike with the 105 components OR a high-end aluminum bike with Ultegra components, but I don't have the cash for both carbon and Ultegra.

Is the frame material more important than the components? I have looked through some of the threads here, but the debates are usually aluminum vs. steel, not aluminum vs. carbon fiber, and Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace, not Ultegra vs. 105.

Any thoughts?

Check out the Klein Q-Carbon - Frame is ZR9000 Al with Carbon seat stays and a mix of Shimano 105 and Tiagra components - US$ 1430

And the Trek 2100 - Frame is ZR9000 Al with carbon seat stays and a mix of Shimano Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra - US$1430

Both of these frames are excellent choices.

Originally posted by davidbod
Check out the Klein Q-Carbon - Frame is ZR9000 Al with Carbon seat stays and a mix of Shimano 105 and Tiagra components - US$ 1430

And the Trek 2100 - Frame is ZR9000 Al with carbon seat stays and a mix of Shimano Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra - US$1430

Both of these frames are excellent choices.

You may also want to check out the 04' Giant OCR Elite. It is an aluminum frame with carbon seat and chain stays and an ultegra component mix and comes in at $1499.