high end campy 14t cassette

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
My team rides all campy and we're all juniors (basically meaning we need to all be running a 52-14 as our highest gear). Currently the only 14t cassette campy makes is a veloce. My team manager isn't too happy considering he's running all carbon wheels and the veloce pure steel cassette weighs them down a bit. Are there any other companies out there that build a 14t cassette that is somewhere near the top of the line?

rudycyclist said:
My team rides all campy and we're all juniors (basically meaning we need to all be running a 52-14 as our highest gear). Currently the only 14t cassette campy makes is a veloce. My team manager isn't too happy considering he's running all carbon wheels and the veloce pure steel cassette weighs them down a bit. Are there any other companies out there that build a 14t cassette that is somewhere near the top of the line?
You should be able to mix and match loose sprockets from one high-end Record or Chorus cassette with another to get your desired mix. Buy a loose 25, a 13-26, and make your own set up and make your own 14-26 by pulling the 13 off the bottom, and adding the 25 between the 23 and 26.

You should be able to get:

14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25-26

Double-Check with your local Campagnolo dealer to make sure, but you should be able to do this easily.

The only problem is, we want to do this with all the sets of wheels (so we'd need about 10 cassettes built this way). Does anyone know what cog is legal with a 54 or 55t chainring for junior gearing?

rudycyclist said:
Your coach has more money than brains.

Ask you coach if he really thinks that you all are so slow (or fast if you are inclined to look at it positively) that an extra 100 gm lighter for a Record will be difference between winning a losing the race.

As an alternative, you could look at the Miche cassettes they are loose cog so you can mix an match to make your own custom cassette and they are reported to weigh 250gm for a 12-25, which is lighter than the Veloce and I personally have found the shifting to be pretty good and runs quietly with a Wipperman 10s chain.

The easiest thing to do might be to change the outer chainring. TA makes Campy compatible outer rings down to 46. With a 46 outer and a 13 cog you get a rollout of about 25.5 feet. 48x13 would give 26.6', which is a little too much. 47x13 might squeak under the limit with a low profile tire, but I don't think you can get a 47.

Just get the Veloce and ride. No one will be able to tell the difference, except in your budget, since they won't wear out nearly as fast.

I 2nd the motion on this one.

I think that American Classic may have something like this too in this gear range. :rolleyes:

jmoryl said:
Just get the Veloce and ride. No one will be able to tell the difference, except in your budget, since they won't wear out nearly as fast.