High grade MTB pedals on a road bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mlkovacs, Dec 12, 2003.

1. mlkovacs

mlkovacs New Member

Hello all! I've been MTBing for many years, and raced for a couple of years. I'm very much a gear head. Anyhow, I plan on purchasing a road bike next year, and would like to use the same shoes ( Sidi Mountain Action '03 ), which means the road bike would need SPD pedals. I have Shimano SPD-M959 on the MTB bike, which are a high grade MTB pedals. Has anyone heard of using MTB pedals on a road bike? I know that there currently is a SPD pedal out there for road bikes, but I've read bad reviews, and it only has one interface, while the MTB pedal has two ( less wear ).

I likely won't race, but will definitely go on long rides. I already put slicks on the MTB and go for 100-150 mile bike rides, and never had a pedal issue.

Any thoughts?

Tags:

2. lumpy

lumpy New Member

I have them on my road bike - only because my mtn. shoes are so comfy - and haven't had any problem at all. Go for it :D

Tim

3. capwater

capwater New Member

Used to do that before I got Looks. One thing about road pedals is that they usually are longer/wider than MTB pedals so your weight will get distributed slightly better. Bottom line is if it works for you go for it.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Same here - I had SPD's on my road bike when I first got it, so I could recycle the shoes. It works fine, but when I switched over to dedicated road pedals, they just felt better.

5. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Go for it! When you change to a Road Bike (as I did recently) you'll find you have enough to get used to with the different geometry, riding position etc....

You're already used to your pedals, your shoes are comfy...so just use them untill your shoes wear out...by that time you'll be totally used to a road bike, then you'll just have to get used to new pedals...

It works for me...;)

6. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Why change if your ok with it , road shoes are hell to walk in and if you need to walk why change ? Oil your cleats and have a ball .

7. labicci

labicci New Member

MTB shoes and pedals for short rides and road shoes and pedals for long rides.

Road pedals have a larger platform for better support. Road shoes are stiffer, lighter and usually better ventilated. You will appreciate the importance of ventilation for long rides.

L.B.