High heat oven mitts

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Hi all;

    I cooked a steak tonight, the procedure for which involved transferring
    a preheated 12" cast iron skillet from a 500 deg F oven to a stovetop
    on high and back. I was using welding gloves, which have been my first
    choice for grilling. However, I got a bit burned through the gloves.
    Any recommendations on oven mitts fpor protection from heat this high?
    I don't like the feel of the silicone gloves.

    Thanks,

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. Check into Kevlar gloves.
    Warning: they're not cheap!

  3. Look into Kevlar gloves.
    Warning: they're not cheap!

  4. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,

    > Hi all;
    >
    > I cooked a steak tonight, the procedure for which involved transferring
    > a preheated 12" cast iron skillet from a 500 deg F oven to a stovetop
    > on high and back. I was using welding gloves, which have been my first
    > choice for grilling. However, I got a bit burned through the gloves.
    > Any recommendations on oven mitts fpor protection from heat this high?
    > I don't like the feel of the silicone gloves.

    I just use double pair of average every day pot holders in such
    situations. I also avoid holding the hot skillet any longer than is
    absolutely necessary. Of course, make sure your oven mitts are dry. This
    works fine for me.

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On 3 Aug 2005 22:36:24 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi all;
    >
    > I cooked a steak tonight, the procedure for which involved transferring
    > a preheated 12" cast iron skillet from a 500 deg F oven to a stovetop
    > on high and back. I was using welding gloves, which have been my first
    > choice for grilling. However, I got a bit burned through the gloves.
    > Any recommendations on oven mitts fpor protection from heat this high?
    > I don't like the feel of the silicone gloves.

    Silicone mitts and gloves are commonly available now. I don't use
    mitts because they are too cumbersome for me. Ordinary pot holders
    are fine, but teflon coated on one side is better. I've considered
    getting silicone pot holders because certain family members are
    careless and leave my pot holders close enough to the burner to burn
    them.

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On 3 Aug 2005 22:36:24 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi all;
    >
    > I cooked a steak tonight, the procedure for which involved transferring
    > a preheated 12" cast iron skillet from a 500 deg F oven to a stovetop
    > on high and back. I was using welding gloves, which have been my first
    > choice for grilling. However, I got a bit burned through the gloves.
    > Any recommendations on oven mitts fpor protection from heat this high?
    > I don't like the feel of the silicone gloves.

    Silicone mitts and gloves are commonly available now. I don't use
    mitts because they are too cumbersome for me. Ordinary pot holders
    are fine, but teflon coated on one side is better. I've considered
    getting silicone pot holders because certain family members are
    careless and leave my pot holders close enough to the burner to burn
    them.

  7. jrkrideau

    jrkrideau Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi all;
    >
    > I cooked a steak tonight, the procedure for which involved transferring
    > a preheated 12" cast iron skillet from a 500 deg F oven to a stovetop
    > on high and back. I was using welding gloves, which have been my first
    > choice for grilling. However, I got a bit burned through the gloves.
    > Any recommendations on oven mitts fpor protection from heat this high?
    > I don't like the feel of the silicone gloves.

    I worked as a cook for years and I've always found a couple of
    tea-towls or bar cloths properly folded were excellent. I'm not keen on
    gloves myself. They always looked like they'd be hard to get off in an
    emergency.

    John Kane

  8. jrkrideau

    jrkrideau Guest