High HR at race - Low HR with PC coach

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Toon, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Toon

    Toon Guest

    Hi,

    I'm 27. I finished my first race ever, a few weeks ago. (Boy, that felt good)

    It was a duathlon: 3.6K - 20k - 3.6K

    In Januari 2003 I started training aerobically at a fitness centre. I was 'diagnosed' to have a
    fitness level of 4/7 (being pretty much a couch potato). in June I got up to 7/7. After that, I got
    myself a Polar 720i and started training with the PC Coach software (Mige Piggs).

    So from June to August I started training at a HR of about 143-153 as recommended by Maffetone in
    the PC Coach software. No problem. I liked that. Pace was good and all.

    Then on race day (3rd August) (temperature 100°F/ 35°C) I planned to bring up my HR gradually, but
    as you can see from my HR-curve http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Duathlon_Tongeren.jpg (picture
    can be blown up a bit) I pretty much stayed at 185 during the entire race.

    I was a bit surprised I could keep it up that long (73 min.) without tipping over.

    Q1: Is this healthy?
    Q2: Is my training HR appropriate for this kind of race and race HR?
    Q3: I had the impression my body wasn't taking up much liquid anymore. Is it the HR?
    Q4: Now what?

    :)

    Cheers,

    Toon

    Tags:

  2. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On 27 Aug 2003 03:06:46 -0700, [email protected] (Toon) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm 27. I finished my first race ever, a few weeks ago. (Boy, that felt good)

    Congrats!

    >It was a duathlon: 3.6K - 20k - 3.6K
    >
    >In Januari 2003 I started training aerobically at a fitness centre. I was 'diagnosed' to have a
    >fitness level of 4/7 (being pretty much a couch potato). in June I got up to 7/7. After that, I got
    >myself a Polar 720i and started training with the PC Coach software (Mige Piggs).
    >
    >So from June to August I started training at a HR of about 143-153 as recommended by Maffetone in
    >the PC Coach software. No problem. I liked that. Pace was good and all.
    >
    >Then on race day (3rd August) (temperature 100°F/ 35°C) I planned to bring up my HR gradually, but
    >as you can see from my HR-curve http://www.geocities.com/tooners22/Duathlon_Tongeren.jpg (picture
    >can be blown up a bit) I pretty much stayed at 185 during the entire race.
    >
    >I was a bit surprised I could keep it up that long (73 min.) without tipping over.
    >
    >Q1: Is this healthy?

    What does not kill you will make you stronger! However not reccommended for everyday
    training. The heat has a great effect on ones HR. These extra beats are spent on sending
    blood to the skins surface to dissapate heat. Under cooler weather with same effort you may
    have had a much lower HR depending on how much you are effected by heat.

    >Q2: Is my training HR appropriate for this kind of race and race HR?

    Appropriate HR for racing is what you can hold consitantly and effectively throughout the
    race for the best possible results. Appropriate HR training zones can be gathered thru test
    and race results. If you are basing your training HR zones on some formula more than likely
    they are off. This is probably reflected by you HR in your race efforts. I'm making the
    assumption that if your AVE HR for the race was around 185 that you must have peaked at much
    higher numbers.

    >Q3: I had the impression my body wasn't taking up much liquid anymore. Is it the HR?

    Likely not the HR as much as an effect of the effort. The higher teh intensity the harder it
    is for the body to perform digestive functions. You may also find that what works in
    training may not work in these higher intensity races.

    >Q4: Now what?

    Use teh race result HR's as a starting point to try and establish your real training zones.
    Better yet to follow some of the more standardized tests that are more repeatable. Keep
    training, racing and having fun!

    ~Matt

    >:)
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Toon

  3. Mike Lana

    Mike Lana Guest

    I used Phils program on PC coach my first year. I loved it and highly recomend it to everyone who is
    new, comming off an injury, has diabetic problems, or is above 45 (Less stress = less injuries as we
    get older even though we still want to hammer). There is a point where you want to move into
    something a little different. The SERIOUS method is great and triathletes training bible's system
    works well. For your first year or so of quality traing stick with the system (all of it including
    the MAF) and you will see great dividens.

    Read phils talks about racing. He basically tells you to ignore the hr monitor on short races. 185
    is fine for a short race go on percieve exertion. Learn what your body can do at different distances
    as you improve your aerobic conditioning.

    Good Luck Mike

  4. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    I think it's outstanding - 8 months! Very, very well done.

    Everything, as usual that my betters, have written is correct.

    Ah, to be 27 again and able to get into such great shape so quickly!

    Tom

    news:[email protected]...