High Max Heartrate

PGHZISSOU

Jun 26, 2011
Hello there! I recently just did a training ride with a power tap and heart rate monitor. It seems my max heart rate is 215 bpm and i'm 23. Does this seem strange for my age? It took me 3 minutes to recover to normal and there seemed to be no irregularity in terms of palpatations or anything like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm no Dr. but 215 BPM seems pretty high. I actually have a conditional mild tachychardia where my HR will increase to a rapid rate for a brief period of time until I can contain it with breathing exercises. Luckily this doesn't happen when I'm on the bike. During these spells my HR rises to 215+ BPM and I feel like snuffing it (I'm 32 BTW).

Some may argue, but the standard for figuring out a quick and dirty max HR seems to be taking 220 - your age. Under that calculation 197 BPM would be normal for a 23-year-old. Again, I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV so take my response with a grain of salt. I do know that HR is a very personal and unique number that cannot be issued an arbitrary ideal.

I'd consult a physician or cardiologist if you are concerned about it.