High mileage cyclocomputer failing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Haston, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. My 10,000+ mile cyclocomputer started having a bad mount connection months
    ago, and despite my cleaning the contacts, the display now jumps about,
    typically at well below my real speed.

    Any tricks to keep it running?

    --
    Robert Haston
    Satellite Beach, FL
     
    Tags:


  2. Scott Ehardt

    Scott Ehardt Guest

    "Robert Haston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My 10,000+ mile cyclocomputer started having a bad mount connection months
    > ago, and despite my cleaning the contacts, the display now jumps about,
    > typically at well below my real speed.
    >
    > Any tricks to keep it running?



    I would guess it is actually a broken wire between the sensor and the mount.

    --
    Scott Ehardt
    http://www.scehardt.com
     
  3. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:45:01 GMT, "Robert Haston"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My 10,000+ mile cyclocomputer started having a bad mount connection months
    >ago, and despite my cleaning the contacts, the display now jumps about,
    >typically at well below my real speed.
    >
    >Any tricks to keep it running?


    Dear Robert,

    Assuming it's wired instead of wireless . . .

    It could be that the magnet and sensor need to cuddle a
    little closer in order to be reliable.

    It could be that the sensor switch is failing for various
    reasons, so even the hot breath of a magnet getting up close
    and personal won't inflame its passions reliably any more.

    The best trick may be to hand WalMart a $10 bill for a new
    Schwinn multifunction cyclocomputer. They work fine.

    You'd have to accept some change, in more ways than one.

    Carl Fogel
     
  4. Scott Ehardt

    Scott Ehardt Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The best trick may be to hand WalMart a $10 bill for a new
    > Schwinn multifunction cyclocomputer. They work fine.



    Excellent advice. Since I do road riding, off-road riding, and "urban
    mountain biking," I can't imagine a computer lasting 10K miles. The
    expensive wires seem to break just the same as the cheap ones.

    --
    Scott Ehardt
    http://www.scehardt.com
     
  5. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:12:40 GMT, "Scott Ehardt"
    <SCEhardt--(([email protected]))--SCEhardt.com> wrote:

    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >
    >> The best trick may be to hand WalMart a $10 bill for a new
    >> Schwinn multifunction cyclocomputer. They work fine.

    >
    >
    >Excellent advice. Since I do road riding, off-road riding, and "urban
    >mountain biking," I can't imagine a computer lasting 10K miles. The
    >expensive wires seem to break just the same as the cheap ones.


    I've got one of the walmart Schwinn bike-meters and it works fine. Seems
    accurate enough. I plugged in some default value of what a 700cx25 is supposed
    to be and it lines up within 20 yards of the markings on the Suncoast Trail
    after a 40 mile ride. It appears to be rugged enough. Has the typical functions
    found in the higher priced brands.

    The pickup mounting might require a little head scratching as it seems intended
    for ATB type forks with lots of clearance. I found the thing works great on the
    back of the fork blade instead of on the inside as the directions show.

    I cannot think of a single reason to buy a $25 cyclocomputer. I can understand
    the really fancy ones that have a lot more features. I want one that gives me my
    airspeed. Haven't seen one of them yet.

    If "good enough" wasn't good enough it wouldn't be called "good enough."

    Ron
     
  6. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:45:55 GMT, RonSonic
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]

    >I want one that gives me my
    >airspeed. Haven't seen one of them yet.


    >Ron
    >


    Dear Ron,

    Given that this uses sonic detection, you're the right Ron
    for what Ron Hardin mentioned.

    This fantastic airspeed toy is coming soon to a birthday
    near me, or else my loving relatives are going to get an
    earful:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q...tech&[email protected]&rnum=1
    or http://tinyurl.com/create.php

    Also known as the WindScribe:

    http://www.ambientweather.com/dainwi.html

    Soon my ignorance of vital airspeed data will be in the
    dimly remembered past!

    Carl Fogel
     
  7. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:34:02 GMT,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Carl Fogel writes:
    >
    > http://www.ambientweather.com/dainwi.html
    >
    >> Soon my ignorance of vital airspeed data will be in the dimly
    >> remembered past!

    >
    >Not to forget that this device will not tell you what you really want
    >to know about your own speed and that of the wind. More on that at:
    >
    >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html
    >
    >Jobst Brandt
    >[email protected]


    Dear Jobst,

    Ah, your sense of humor, your enjoyment of life, your
    engaging, child-like sense of wonder! And how selflessly you
    share it!

    Carl Fogel
     
  8. Carl Fogel writes:

    >>> Soon my ignorance of vital airspeed data will be in the dimly
    >>> remembered past!


    >> Not to forget that this device will not tell you what you really
    >> want to know about your own speed and that of the wind. More on
    >> that at:


    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html

    > Ah, your sense of humor, your enjoyment of life, your engaging,
    > child-like sense of wonder! And how selflessly you share it!


    As you say, you don't want folks to get the wrong idea, so you might
    just be doing that with a subtle praise of this instrument that no one
    needs. I think you would do better making jest of the device than of
    the complexities of wind drag on a bicycle.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]
     
  9. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:56:57 GMT,
    [email protected] wrote:

    >Carl Fogel writes:
    >
    >>>> Soon my ignorance of vital airspeed data will be in the dimly
    >>>> remembered past!

    >
    >>> Not to forget that this device will not tell you what you really
    >>> want to know about your own speed and that of the wind. More on
    >>> that at:

    >
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html
    >
    >> Ah, your sense of humor, your enjoyment of life, your engaging,
    >> child-like sense of wonder! And how selflessly you share it!

    >
    >As you say, you don't want folks to get the wrong idea, so you might
    >just be doing that with a subtle praise of this instrument that no one
    >needs. I think you would do better making jest of the device than of
    >the complexities of wind drag on a bicycle.
    >
    >Jobst Brandt
    >[email protected]


    Dear Jobst,

    I think that you're the one with the wrong idea. I expect
    that the device will measure airflow with entertaining
    precision, nothing more, nothing less.

    I also expect that it will be every bit as useful and
    enjoyable as any cyclocomputer that I've ever wasted time
    watching.

    As for the complexities of wind drag, I seem to recall that
    you enjoyed a recent lesson from several posters in the
    effect of a cross wind on spokes, but it's apparently done
    no harm to your ego.

    Carl Fogel
     
  10. well, one could 180 then add or subtract!
    or GOOP the wire/computer housing area with a large glop after wiping
    down with alcohol, iso/h20 will do. allow to dry.
    this GOOP may 'even' and there's no way to get even here finish off a
    walkman FM's headphone wires...
    BEFORE USING THESE DEVICES NOT AFTER IT BREAKS OFF
    sorry sherman
    frankly, anyone saving ten bucks and buying low end garbage deserves
    shorts.
     
Loading...
Loading...