high priced frames!?!?!?

zewol

Nov 28, 2003
Hello!

In one of the latest posts I saw that there was a frame from a company I don't remember the name that sold for 16000bucks+!

Are there many more of these unafordable high tek toys on the market??? And where could I find informations concerning it???

thanks in advance

If memory serves, it was a one-off bike produced out of "white carbon fiber," (whatever that is). I think it may have been made by Bianchi and introduced at Interbike.

Every once in awhile someone makes an outrageously expensive bicycle, mainly for the promotional benefits--they are, of course, newsworthy. The cost of the bike can be more than offset by the value of the free publicity, which might otherwise need to be paid for.

I think Cambria Bikes used to have a $20,000 mountain bike for this same reason.

Is there an actual market for these things? Maybe among collectors, but certainly not among enthusiasts. The only super high buck bike I've ever seen which looked like it might have had advantages over "cheap" bikes in the US$ 3-5k range, was that joint Ferarri/Colnago made a few years ago that had an automatic transmission.

The white carbon fiber bike that you're talking about is probably the Pinarello Dogma Ego, which is in fact magnesium with a silver gloss coating. Parts are woven in white carbon however the frame is magnesium. the whole bike retailed around $16,000. As msrw's take on the high priced bike issues, most are only for promotional benefits as he posted, and competetion with other companies to make the classiest bike out there.

But then again, theres always the ooos and ahhhs that they create.

isdsms

Ah yes.....It was a Pinarello with a magnesium frame. Exactly right.

Originally posted by msrw
If memory serves, it was a one-off bike produced out of "white carbon fiber," (whatever that is). I think it may have been made by Bianchi and introduced at Interbike.
I'll second the guess about the Pinarello -- the Bianchi you're referring to is the L'una, a full production white carbon bike that Bianchi is selling for just under $5,000.

Originally posted by lokstah
I'll second the guess about the Pinarello -- the Bianchi you're referring to is the L'una, a full production white carbon bike that Bianchi is selling for just under $5,000.

Sorry about that. never heard of the L'una before. I just checked it out on the website. Nice.

Originally posted by zewol
Hello!

In one of the latest posts I saw that there was a frame from a company I don't remember the name that sold for 16000bucks+!

Are there many more of these unafordable high tek toys on the market??? And where could I find informations concerning it???

thanks in advance

The price is definitely owing to the one off production run, if that part of it is true...

A "market" for that kind of item would only consist of the infinitessimaly small rich collector demographic, you know, the kind of person who would spend 300 grand on a faberge egg or something :)

If it is a one off concept prototype, then 16k actually sounds rather low, even for a bike... Its amazing how much something can end up costing to produce when you have to get a whole lot of people together to design and build a single of anything :)

Thanks for these informations but I would rather think that the Luna is more a bike for the market than the Pinarello, as I can see from the other companies , $5000 is not that much( well...) for a top quality bike!

But for its appearance it simply deserves lots of attention (and publicity following!) -- It definitely is my desktop wallpaper until I find a better thing to show up!

Originally posted by zewol
Thanks for these informations but I would rather think that the Luna is more a bike for the market than the Pinarello, as I can see from the other companies , $5000 is not that much( well...) for a top quality bike!

But for its appearance it simply deserves lots of attention (and publicity following!) -- It definitely is my desktop wallpaper until I find a better thing to show up!

$5000 is not that much for a bike with those wheels and that frame, but the one thing letting it down is that it doesn't have Record, it has Chorus. But now that Chorus has Carbon levers and rear derailleur, I suppose the only thing missing is the prestige factor. That said, if I had a spare $5000 I'd be getting it. It is beautiful indeed.

Hey, Zewol... another bike that might be wallpaper worthy- http://2004.merlinbike.com/bikes/cielo.aspx - Just look at the artwork in the lug... *drools*

competitive cyclist has the dogma ego at $16k and the dogma at $5.7K with record components. I guess the paint ends up costing a full $10k:) It could be like that rediculous automotive paint that has something like 15 colors in it (when viewed from different angles) and costs a few thousand per can.