closesupport said:maybe your right, the point i would like to make is that if one consumes a balanced diet, not high carb, not low car, avoiding simple sugars not cutting out fat totally then like me, the energy you require is the energy you consume to use, before longer training sessions or races 3 days prior to that then increasing your carb intake would be recomnded, as long as the calories that are consumed is equal to the energy you require with surplus calories to spare and store.
it works for me; typical day.
4.00am X3 weetabix + (porridge oats)
x9.00am x 2 brown toaste, beans, x2\4 sausages x2 bacon x 2\4 ash browns (apple\orange)
1pm steak pie beans chips
6.00pm (chinese take away) crispy seaweed and wandering dragon (chicken in oyster sauce) + honey glazed spare ribs
plenty coffee and plenty water...
now you truthfully tell me that, that is an healthy diet i aint overweight, i am my perfect weight, i eat 3 or 4 meals a day and they arent small, but i am my perfect weight for my height and i have been for the last 31yrs.
My personal opinion, and I'll reiterate that it's little more than that, is that you're a bit heavy on your proteins and with them there is a lot of fat. Now you're obviously an active individual which means you're probably burning off most of the calories consumed in the dishes which are high in fats and proteins, but burning the calories isn't the whole picture. I talked about the problems with fats and cholesterol before and you're well informed enough about diet that there is little reason to go into it again.
If it were me, I'd try trading about half of the protein/fatty dishes for something more balanced with some protein, a little fat and some more carbohydrates. Pasta with olives, mushrooms or perhaps your favorite low-fat meat in the sauce instead of spare ribs. Maybe a rice and vegetable dish instead of the chicken. Anyway, my diet certainly isn't an example of pure health and energy. I guess it's always easier to know what's best than to practice it.
[CENTER]If I were to break your example down, I'd probably note the following.[/CENTER]
X3 weetabix + (porridge oats): Good
x 2 brown toaste: Good but go easy on the butter/margerine
beans: Good source of protein and fiber
apple\orange: Fruit is a great source of natural sugars and usually some fiber
pie: Depends on the kind of pie
beans: Still a good source of protein and fiber. Might not need 2 servings per day. Of course it depends on the size of the servings.
chips: Depends somewhat on how many you have. Most are fried, some are baked. Baked is probably preferrable.
crispy seaweed and wandering dragon: I'm not familiar enough with the nutritive value of seaweed to make comment. Chicken is well... better than red meat, but not quite so much as most people believe.
Steak: Heavy, fatty protein
4 sausages: Heavy, fatty, fried protein.
x2 bacon: Heavy, fatty, fried protein
4 [h]ash browns: Fried anything is probably best in moderation
("Ash browns" are what I call them when I'm in charge of the kitchen.) 😉
honey glazed spare ribs: Fat and protein
Coffee: I know many people utilize coffee for the fatty acids that form in the blood which can be used as an energy source when blood sugars near depletion. Personally, I don't care for the taste, nor for the addiction that most people form. Caffeine is suspected to cause a number of negative health issues.
Now that's a super-critical review and I mean no offense. Overall, compared to the standard American diet, it's probably quite good. I'd hate for anyone to do such a critique of my diet. I'd probably feel a bit defensive afterward. It's just that I reduced the fats in my diet about 12-years ago and now when I see how much fat most people consume, not to mention going overboard on protein, I'm left just a bit dazzled.
(And all this from a guy who had to get up half way through the post to throw away a candy bar wrapper.) 😉