High speed bike crash

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by steve, Jul 30, 2014.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

A bike crash at 40mph filmed by the rider. The ending is pretty good considering the speed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quote: After realizing my excessive speed while approaching a turn that led to the 24% grade drop off, I hit the brakes too hard and caused speed wobbles in my handlebars. I couldn't get them under control so I decided it would be better to crash in the dirt than to crash on the asphalt on a steeper portion of the decent. I slowed down as much as I could and took a dive on the shoulder ON MY shoulder. I broke my collarbone into 4 pieces, smashed my helmet (which saved my life), and am thankful to be alive. Top speed was 50 mph. Crash speed is estimated around 40 mph.

Tags:

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Ouch. He stopped pretty darned fast for crashing at 40mph.

What is the best option in that scenario? It is hard to put myself in that situation, but I think I would have opted to stay on the pavement, apply the rear brakes, feather the front, sit up a bit, clench my knees on the top tube and clench my cheeks and hope to slow back to a controllable speed. A 24% decent is plenty scary though even without the wobbles.

3. Colnago62

Colnago62 New Member

Alexis Grewal said that descending is all balls till you get into trouble; then it is all skill.

4. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

Watch this. What can go wrong?

At least the trip in the ambulance is good.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought he was pretty bloody lucky, a badly placed tree or parked car would have ensured it end differently.

6. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Quote by Maydog:
    "
    Ouch."

Pretty much this.

"What is the best option in that scenario? It is hard to put myself in that situation, but I think I would have opted to stay on the pavement,"

Yeah. Road rash beats huge chunks of missing meat from rocks gouging the Hell out of you. And low-siding is usually better than flipping.

7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Active Member

Yeah, that was pretty insane. But I guess he handled it quite well considering the speed that he was moving at. Reminds of a bicycle incident when I was in high school. One of the students was a fairly fast cyclist and he rammed straight into the vice-principal's car, as he was driving towards the school parking lot that fateful morning. Fortunately, the student didn't get hurt badly but needed stitches. The vice-principle's vehicle did sport a nasty dent but I don't recall who had to pay for that in the end.