High Visibility Jerseys

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Russell Fulker, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Now that T-shirt season is drawing to a close I was thinking of buying a new long-sleeved top. I am
    considering something fairly hi-vis, but I'm having trouble finding much - plastic jackets seem the
    most common, but I don't really want to go down that route.

    I found this polo shirt (towards the bottom of the page): http://www.allspeed.co.uk/Highvismenu.htm

    Does anyone know what sort of material "60/40 Modacrylic/Cotton" is like? Is it suitable for biking
    in? I don't really feel the cold, so I'm more concerned that I'll be too hot rather than too cold,
    especially as I can always slip a t-shirt on underneath. Most hi-vis gear seems to be rather heavy
    on the PVC/polyester - I'd worry about being a boil-in-the-bag casualty by the time I got to work!

    Anyone got any advice or alternatives?

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Pete Barrett

    Pete Barrett Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:18:45 +0100, Russell Fulker <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now that T-shirt season is drawing to a close I was thinking of buying a new long-sleeved top. I am
    >considering something fairly hi-vis, but I'm having trouble finding much - plastic jackets seem the
    >most common, but I don't really want to go down that route.
    >
    >I found this polo shirt (towards the bottom of the page): http://www.allspeed.co.uk/Highvismenu.htm
    >
    >Does anyone know what sort of material "60/40 Modacrylic/Cotton" is like? Is it suitable for biking
    >in? I don't really feel the cold, so I'm more concerned that I'll be too hot rather than too cold,
    >especially as I can always slip a t-shirt on underneath. Most hi-vis gear seems to be rather heavy
    >on the PVC/polyester - I'd worry about being a boil-in-the-bag casualty by the time I got to work!
    >
    >Anyone got any advice or alternatives?

    I use a couple of bright yellow sweatshirts which cost me 5 quid or less each from Birmingham
    markets. They've lasted me for years, and are probably as visible as anything.

    For extra visibility, I've tried sewing or gluing bits of that reflective tape onto strategic places
    on my clothing - that doesn't make it too hot.

    Pete Barrett