Higher heart rate when I wake up.

sooray02

Mar 15, 2004
Lately, about every morning and every nap, I get unusual higher heart rate when I wake up. I feel like I have been riding for awhile. I can feel my chest pounding.

I am 23 and fit. I don't compete like I used to, so I don't have good form, but I am fit. I still put 15 hr/wk and eat right.

One thing is though, I gained about 10 lbs past three months and lost most of it pretty quickly in about a month. This is the only thing that might have caused something, but who knows.

Do you have any ideas or experience?

Thanks in advance..!

This coudl be a symptom of overtraining, depending on other indications. How much sleep are you getting, and are you taking adequate rest days off the bike (1 in seven) or rest weeks (every fourth) when you limit yourself to no more than an Active Recovery HR?

sooray02 said:
Lately, about every morning and every nap, I get unusual higher heart rate when I wake up. I feel like I have been riding for awhile. I can feel my chest pounding.
Not sure if this is it, but a lot of people don't consider their alarm clock for this. If you are using an alarm clock that has a very abrupt, loud alarm, that could be causing your heartrate to spike for a minute or two.

Dave

How much higher (on average) is your heart rate when you wake up? Also, how does it compare to your resting HR at other times of the day. If you are were to be venturing into overtraining territory, it is likely that your resting HR would remain elevated at other times than just upon waking. Try going someplace quiet and relaxing, and laying down for 5-10 minutes, focusing on deep rhythmic breathing - then take your HR. Compare this to what you are experiencing when you wake in the morning.

Also, was the weight change unexpected, or the result of major changes in diet/regimine? Some individuals experience rapid, unexplained weight fluxuations when they are overtrained.

Other signs to watch for are your mood (irritability, lack of enthusiasm, and anxiety/depression are signs of OTS), changes in appetite, rapid fatigue, general fatigue off the bike, and sleep problems. I'd say take a few days off, relax, walk a bit, and see how your HR is doing. If you are experiencing any other symptoms, or even think you are, rest more. 15 hours per week is easily enough to cause OTS if inadequate recovery is occuring.

Let us know how it's going.

It's probably the"Oh my God ,it wasn't just bad dream" syndrome. My advise, go back to sleep.