Highest cadence

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, May 13, 2004.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    There was a thread a couple of weeks back on highest speeds. I've been
    using high cadence rides as a recovery the day after a hard run and was
    wondering what sort of levels people get up to. I'm not putting my
    highest up because I'm sure it will be embarassingly low compared to
    what I'm sure to see here. The other thing I noticed is that I'm capable
    of a much higher cadence if there's slight resistance (like on a very
    slight downhill) than when I'm spinning. Why is that? Is it just a
    co-ordination thing (or lack of)?

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    You want high cadence?
    Borrow the 100mm cranks off a kids bike and see how fast you can spin :)

  3. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    Daveb wrote:
    > There was a thread a couple of weeks back on highest speeds. I've been
    > using high cadence rides as a recovery the day after a hard run and was
    > wondering what sort of levels people get up to. I'm not putting my
    > highest up because I'm sure it will be embarassingly low compared to
    > what I'm sure to see here. The other thing I noticed is that I'm capable
    > of a much higher cadence if there's slight resistance (like on a very
    > slight downhill) than when I'm spinning. Why is that? Is it just a co-
    > ordination thing (or lack of)?
    > DaveB

    easy! dont think, just spin! get a fixed wheel bike and start rolling
    down hillsare you will learn very fast to just let your legs go with the
    flow man ;)

    --

  4. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There was a thread a couple of weeks back on highest speeds. I've been
    > using high cadence rides as a recovery the day after a hard run and was
    > wondering what sort of levels people get up to. I'm not putting my
    > highest up because I'm sure it will be embarassingly low compared to
    > what I'm sure to see here. The other thing I noticed is that I'm capable
    > of a much higher cadence if there's slight resistance (like on a very
    > slight downhill) than when I'm spinning. Why is that? Is it just a
    > co-ordination thing (or lack of)?
    >
    > DaveB

    So DaveB what do you call a high cadence recovery ride...... 100 - 110?

    Kevin

  5. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    K&C Russell wrote:
    > "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>There was a thread a couple of weeks back on highest speeds. I've been
    >>using high cadence rides as a recovery the day after a hard run and was
    >>wondering what sort of levels people get up to. I'm not putting my
    >>highest up because I'm sure it will be embarassingly low compared to
    >>what I'm sure to see here. The other thing I noticed is that I'm capable
    >>of a much higher cadence if there's slight resistance (like on a very
    >>slight downhill) than when I'm spinning. Why is that? Is it just a
    >>co-ordination thing (or lack of)?
    >>
    >>DaveB
    >>

    > So DaveB what do you call a high cadence recovery ride...... 100 - 110?
    >

    > Kevin

    more like 90-110 depending on hills etc. Anything over 110 has me
    bouncing all over the place although today I managed to stay reasonably
    stable at 125 for a short period. Maybe my technique is improving.

    DaveB.

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by Daveb more like 90-110 depending on hills etc.
    >Anything over 110 has me bouncing all over the place although today I
    >managed to stay reasonably stable at 125 for a short period. Maybe my
    >technique is improving.

    Makes me wish I had a cadence sensor!

    (Suggestions for a good AND cheap one?)

    I could get one for the Polar HRM - that would go on the Pug. I'd need
    another for the SS - this is the bike I have to spin on. Another for the
    track bike - cadence on the track is important.

    I've done a rough estimate with a watch and it looks like I can hit
    ~120rpm, but that's not holding those rpm for long. I know that's not
    much, but I'm not sure how accurate it is and with legs like mine,
    pushing bigger gears is better anyway :)

    hippy

    P.S. Thanks to the roadie on Whitehorse Rd., Thursday night, for
    dragging my sorry carcass along.. well, not dragging, but you gave
    me something to chase and a damn good workout at the same time! :)

    --

  7. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    DaveB wrote:
    > There was a thread a couple of weeks back on highest speeds. I've been
    > using high cadence rides as a recovery the day after a hard run and was
    > wondering what sort of levels people get up to. I'm not putting my
    > highest up because I'm sure it will be embarassingly low compared to
    > what I'm sure to see here. The other thing I noticed is that I'm capable
    > of a much higher cadence if there's slight resistance (like on a very
    > slight downhill) than when I'm spinning. Why is that? Is it just a
    > co-ordination thing (or lack of)?
    >
    > DaveB

    I'm most comfy spinning at around 100-105 usually.

    The highest cadence I know I've done on the road is about 160 and
    the highest cadence I've done on the trainer is about 190.

    --
    Nick

  8. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    [snip]

    > I could get one for the Polar HRM - that would go on the Pug. I'd need
    > another for the SS - this is the bike I have to spin on. Another for the
    > track bike - cadence on the track is important.
    >
    > I've done a rough estimate with a watch and it looks like I can hit
    > ~120rpm, but that's not holding those rpm for long. I know that's not
    > much, but I'm not sure how accurate it is and with legs like mine,
    > pushing bigger gears is better anyway :)
    >
    > hippy
    >
    > P.S. Thanks to the roadie on Whitehorse Rd., Thursday night, for
    > dragging my sorry carcass along.. well, not dragging, but you gave
    > me something to chase and a damn good workout at the same time! :)
    >

    > --

    A cadence sensor on a SS or fixie? A speedo does a pretty good job for
    the SS except for steep downhills and a perfect job for a fixie!

    Ritch

  9. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    I have managed 185 on indoor trainer, 172.5mm cranks. VERY little resistance on the trainer. In my ergo sessions, I try to get it up at 100 or thereabouts, same on the road. I often find myself grinding a bit too much though, if I'm not really concentrating on my technique I'm anywhere between 65-85. My knees suffered after one such effort up a hill steep enough that I really had no business being in the big ring. :p

    --

  10. DaveB <[email protected]> writes:

    > There was a thread a couple of weeks back on highest speeds. I've been
    > using high cadence rides as a recovery the day after a hard run and
    > was wondering what sort of levels people get up to.

    112 mostly when I'm in the "Fuck I'm in a dangourious place and don't
    wish to be here" mode.

    http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
    Free the Memes.

  11. amirm

    amirm Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > P.S. Thanks to the roadie on Whitehorse Rd., Thursday night, for
    > dragging my sorry carcass along.. well, not dragging, but you gave
    > me something to chase and a damn good workout at the same time! :)

    No problems mate :D

    --

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    amirm wrote:
    > No problems mate :D

    Was that really you? (Hey, I'm gullible.. :p)

    hippy