Highest Ever Speed ?

51mph on the decsent from Ditchling Beacon to Brighton in the UK. Good road surface made it even better.

amorevelo said:
i checked my diary from when i lived in utah, and found it. i hit 73.2 mph coming down big mountain. it is an extremely long ascent so naturally a great descent. it was curvy at the top, but the last 3+ miles are straight and are at about 20%+ and you can just fly. i did this ride only a couple of times because it scared the shizite out of me. other than that i've hit 50+ many times living in cali and that ceased to be exciting.

you must be off in your computations. You would have to have a 25% grade to reach 73.2 mph

20% would only give you 65.3 mph

if you don't believe me, check the online calculator. its pretty darn accurate. you simply can't defy physics. http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

now on a 20% grade a lowracer recumbent would go 96.4 mph
and would only require a 11% grade to go 70 mph.

a road bike simply can't go that fast down a 20 % grade and I doubt you can pedal over 50 mph.

47mph so far, though I did run out of road. Need to find a longer hill to catch up with some of you other guys out there who must have fly imprints on your skull by now :eek:

Only been riding a week, but 33 mph heading on a descent (8th ave) in Gainesville, FL. I know the hill because I went up it the day before (because I wanted to feel the pain).

This time I was going the opposite direction in a 53x??-probably 15-13 but I chickend out, pulled up and feathered the brakes.

I will give it another go probably next weekend.

The best I've ever done was 45mph. And that wasn't even a big hill, maybe 300 feet long. I was pedaling to though. Where I need to be is the north georgia mountains (brasstown bald).

Its kind of sad, but I just got back into cycling and my first 35+mph descent was -awesome!! I was actually a bit scared and Ive raced cars and karts at 100mph Now I hit 42 to 43 mph on almost every ride and I'm getting jaded to it. I mean-I still enjoy every second of it, but its lost that "fear factor".

I hit a steady 32mph on rollers with a tail wind yesterday. That was pretty awesome to be peddling in a 53/11 and not on a descent (even if a tailwind a downside of a roller got me up to speed)!!!

OH-Ive hit close to 50mph a couple of times (once in the rain) and had a crash in a road race at 45+++. That crash still has me more tentative on descents than before I crashed.

Bang on 100km/h, by the speedo.( maybe give or take depending on the accuracy). Full time trial bike, down on the aero bars, 55x11, very steep hill.:)

I did 44mph up on a trip to Colorado. Down here in SE Texas on the coast we just have bridges to get good speed going. I think I've done somewhere in the range of 38mph(give or take 1mph). Then 32ish is my best sprint. I'll drop people up on the big bridges then get dropped on the way down.. sucks :(

fastest i hit so far was 46.7mph on a steep forestry hill in the south wales valleys. think i could have gone a bit more but ran out of road.:(

im the fastest man on a bike! did a bit of cross country today and my speedomoter says my average speed was 43.1mph over 14.51miles and a top speed of 174.4! happend so fast never knew it happend:eek: lol. either i should enter the guiness book of records or buy a new speedomoter? mmm...what do you think? lol:rolleyes:

amorevelo said:
i checked my diary from when i lived in utah, and found it. i hit 73.2 mph coming down big mountain. it is an extremely long ascent so naturally a great descent. it was curvy at the top, but the last 3+ miles are straight and are at about 20%+ and you can just fly. i did this ride only a couple of times because it scared the shizite out of me. other than that i've hit 50+ many times living in cali and that ceased to be exciting.

Wha?! I've ridden Big Mountain 40 times or so and don't think I ever seen anything above mid 50's. So... I'm thinking 70mph is not likely. not 'impossible', but...
You must be talking about where you make the last switchback and haul-ass toward Aflek Park.

Coming down the front side of "Suncrest" in Draper, Utah I hit 61 mph with a scary crosswind. white knuckles

51.3mph(82kph) going down Cathedral Caverns Highway from Grant, Al. 27-28mph for a short distance on a breakaway from a group ride. The two tandems in front of that ride reeled me back in a few minutes later.

Not my fastest speed, but my longest high speed run was coming down from Charlettes Pass. got up to speeds of around 80-85km/hr and held it there for 5-6 min at a time.

When I was 13 I went down this VERY long steep tarmac path about 5ft wide. I wass on my uncles MTB with my cousin. I was not used to the bike and the speedo showed 49MPH. This is very frightning thinking back but at the time I was trying not to hit my cousin infront. I had no fear then but the barbed wire fences next to the path caould have caused serious damage and I didnt have a helmet on:eek: . When I got to the bottom of the hill I heard a hissing. I had a puncture, at the time I was more worried about what my uncle was going to say but thinking back I was very lucky. I have bad memoriies of that hill now so couldnt do it again. A few moths later I went down on a folding scooter thigy (with the 3'' wheels lol) and turned round to see where my cousn was and the steering turned and I hit the floor and it hurt.

63.8 MPH in the slip stream of a truck coming down an 8% grade about 3 miles long. Bike started shaking so I back off and came back down to a mortal 45 MPH.

starquake said:
97km/h (~60mph) in the Alps. On a 17% descent, unfortunately too short (only 3 miles or so). with a fully loaded bicycle (25kg load).

I never ever want to ride at this speed again. :)

I've only been at 30-35 mph. I can't imagine what it's like at those speeds!

My fastest speed going downhill is only 75km/hour here in Brisbane. Fastest speed on a flat road with some wind at my back was 55km/hour. That felt good.