Highest Ever Speed ?

62 mph coming down Munson Road in East Longmeadow, MA on a cool dry day.

I haven't been able to break 56 since that day, it seems that humid air provides too much resistance.

And it's scary every time, especially the first time when the redneck in a pickup truck blew past us on the other side of the yellow line.

85 kph in a tuck position while racing in the rain going down a 16% incline.. pretty sure I would not try this again .. although it was fun

Between 52mph and 56mph, on a mountain bike on a straight, vertical, and somewhat rutted fire-road called "Velocity" in Marin County, CA. That was in the pre-suspension, pre-indexed-shifting era. But we did have those little Avocet cycle computers.

Originally posted by yak
62 mph coming down Munson Road in East Longmeadow, MA on a cool dry day.

i drove my car up that road when i was going to the monson road race in april. my 4 cylinder corrolla dropped from 60 all the way down to 35mph.

30ish flat ground no wind, and today my cyclometer recorded 50.4 mph while riding in a triathlon..im not sure if it glitched or if it's accurate, but that's what it says..

today my cyclometer recorded 50.4 mph while riding in a triathlon..im not sure if it glitched or if it's accurate, but that's what it says..

I'd doubt that you reached such a speed if you weren't going down any steep/long hills or a strong tailwind. It's possible that on a (wind-assisted) sprint or downhill you would reach such a speed. Otherwise, it's doubtful.

By the way, David, how long is the ride across Belize?

there were some pretty steep hills .. it was in an area that i dont usually ride, and since it was a tri, i had a reason to be working at it.. still though, im not sure its accurate

Well, it's not as impressive as some of you guys, but I got up to about 42MPH during a long descent this weekend during the Tour de Cure! I was pretty excited and actually yelled out "YAY GRAVITY!" while passing some other cyclists. LOL. Okay, so I'm a geek...

Originally posted by Kona_Blue
What is the Highest speed you have ever done on a bicycle ? What was the gearing (roughly) and your cadence ?
Missing a turn on the mountain and freefalling down a cliff does not count.

Nothing special yet as Ive only just moved off restricted gearing (83 inch 6.5m rollout). Hit 88kph (55mph) a couple of months ago on a fairly long downhill in a race. That was in the 52x13 (173rpm). Previous best was 85kph (53.125mph) on a training ride in the 39x13 (223 rpm). On the flat my greatest cadence at the moment is 209 (45kph in the 39x23 with a bit of a tailwind)

45 MPH on 52x12. It's so low for three reasons

1) There are no straight descents where I live
2) I dont wear a brain bucket (helmet)
3) Restricted gearing (you seniors dont know how good you've got it!)

Originally posted by amorevelo
i checked my diary from when i lived in utah, and found it. i hit 73.2 mph coming down big mountain. it is an extremely long ascent so naturally a great descent. it was curvy at the top, but the last 3+ miles are straight and are at about 20%+ and you can just fly. i did this ride only a couple of times because it scared the shizite out of me. other than that i've hit 50+ many times living in cali and that ceased to be exciting.

Where at in Utah was this. I live in Utah and would like to try this monster out!

While suffering from severe hyponatremia during the 2001 Ironman Japan, I equalled my highest ever speed on a descent.

The next day, after spending the night in the hospital (and getting 6 IV bags of fluids), I picked up my bike... the computer noted a top speed of 55mph (89km/hr)... which I consider quite frightening as I have almost no recollection of the later half of the 180km bike leg; which included this fast descent. I never want to be that mentally messed up on a bike again.

BTW: my bike split was about 6h15m

Originally posted by Kona_Blue
What is the Highest speed you have ever done on a bicycle ? What was the gearing (roughly) and your cadence ?
Missing a turn on the mountain and freefalling down a cliff does not count.

one hill in cape town, it goes into hout bay, very long down hill, if you go down and u pedal your best on your hardest gear, i'm telling you, u hit 70/80km/h easily!!!!

but, once u get to the bottom, if u look up, u dont the hell wanna cycle back up that hill!!! haha!

mine is abotu 58mph and my bike was shaking like crazyyyyyyyyyyyy!
it was at a race at university of new hampshire

izzodesh said:
mine is abotu 58mph and my bike was shaking like crazyyyyyyyyyyyy!
The bike can be a major factor on decents. Back when I had my old Cannondale crit frame, I would pull around 50 on a decent up in central PA, and it was always a white-knuckled experience. When I finally built up my OCLV frame, the decent was so calm, I felt like I could eat lunch on the way down. Never figured out why the Cannondale was so hairy on the decents.