Highest Power output achieved?

sam218

Sep 6, 2004
Wondering whether anyone with power meter has achieve wattage similar to your favorite pros (on drugs)?

How difficult is it to ride like them?

According to my polar monitors history 5300 or so watts :eek:, but I think it was malfunctioning. My maximum realistic wattage is probally around 1200 or so, just remember your peak wattage may come in between when your monitor takes a reading (for mine, every 5 seconds) so it may not get recorded.
As far as compairing that number to pros, I dont know and I am in denial that they are all on drugs.

Chris

sam218 said:
Wondering whether anyone with power meter has achieve wattage similar to your favorite pros (on drugs)?

How difficult is it to ride like them?
let's see, I am not on drugs and I have matched Petacchi's 1800watt max.
I am about 20lbs more than him though.

I recently read that jamie staff(british track team) claims to have the highest recorded wattage. somewhere in the 2300-2500 range. he was a great BMX racer before track racing.

velomanct said:
I recently read that jamie staff(british track team) claims to have the highest recorded wattage. somewhere in the 2300-2500 range.

Based on what I've seen, 2500 W would allow him to lay claim to that crown, but 2300 W clearly would not.

Any idea what Staff weighs?

acoggan said:
Based on what I've seen, 2500 W would allow him to lay claim to that crown, but 2300 W clearly would not.

Any idea what Staff weighs?
he is (or was) 200lbs. not sure exactly.

velomanct said:
he is (or was) 200lbs. not sure exactly.

200 lbs = 90.7 kg, so if really he can generate 2500 W then I need to revise my tables. OTOH, if he peaks out at "only" 2300 W then a certain recent world match sprint champion still has him beat (but only by a hair).

In less than two weeks I get the chance to see the "big boys" like Staff race in person!! :D

acoggan said:
200 lbs = 90.7 kg, so if really he can generate 2500 W then I need to revise my tables. OTOH, if he peaks out at "only" 2300 W then a certain recent world match sprint champion still has him beat (but only by a hair).

In less than two weeks I get the chance to see the "big boys" like Staff race in person!! :D
I watched them last year and at 35.9mph average it was over pretty fast. but is was exciting to watch

acoggan said:

andy, your table represents 5 second power, which in my experiences is about 10% lower than peak. Staff's numbers, are more of a ballpark figure. I read that he said he did sprints at 2300watts, so interperet how you like.

velomanct said:
andy, your table represents 5 second power, which in my experiences is about 10% lower than peak.

Agreed, even after only 5 s average power will be lower due to fatigue.

Staff's numbers, are more of a ballpark figure. I read that he said he did sprints at 2300watts, so interperet how you like.

I didn't mean to appear to be challenging you, I was just trying to ferret out a more precise value if indeed one was available.

acoggan said:
Agreed, even after only 5 s average power will be lower due to fatigue.

I didn't mean to appear to be challenging you, I was just trying to ferret out a more precise value if indeed one was available.
no problem. I didn't think you were challenging me. haha. I suppose my wording was not the best.

Speaking of Theo Boss, I read that he is 82kg. which would make his 5 sec power almost 2000watts, according to your chart.
hmm, that's a coincidence, because that is my goal, and I am the same size as him! Yes, I have loftly goals, haha. But I made a 25% improvement last year, so why not make another 25% improvement this year! I am still 2 years younger than Boss, too.