Highest Power output achieved?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by sam218, Mar 9, 2005.

1. sam218

sam218 New Member

Wondering whether anyone with power meter has achieve wattage similar to your favorite pros (on drugs)?

How difficult is it to ride like them?

Tags:

2. GIFF07

GIFF07 New Member

According to my polar monitors history 5300 or so watts :eek:, but I think it was malfunctioning. My maximum realistic wattage is probally around 1200 or so, just remember your peak wattage may come in between when your monitor takes a reading (for mine, every 5 seconds) so it may not get recorded.
    As far as compairing that number to pros, I dont know and I am in denial that they are all on drugs.

Chris

3. velomanct

velomanct New Member

let's see, I am not on drugs and I have matched Petacchi's 1800watt max.
    I am about 20lbs more than him though.

I recently read that jamie staff(british track team) claims to have the highest recorded wattage. somewhere in the 2300-2500 range. he was a great BMX racer before track racing.

4. acoggan

acoggan Member

Based on what I've seen, 2500 W would allow him to lay claim to that crown, but 2300 W clearly would not.

Any idea what Staff weighs?

5. velomanct

velomanct New Member

he is (or was) 200lbs. not sure exactly.

6. closesupport

closesupport Banned

7. acoggan

acoggan Member

200 lbs = 90.7 kg, so if really he can generate 2500 W then I need to revise my tables. OTOH, if he peaks out at "only" 2300 W then a certain recent world match sprint champion still has him beat (but only by a hair).

In less than two weeks I get the chance to see the "big boys" like Staff race in person!! :D

8. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I watched them last year and at 35.9mph average it was over pretty fast. but is was exciting to watch

9. velomanct

velomanct New Member

andy, your table represents 5 second power, which in my experiences is about 10% lower than peak. Staff's numbers, are more of a ballpark figure. I read that he said he did sprints at 2300watts, so interperet how you like.

10. acoggan

acoggan Member

Agreed, even after only 5 s average power will be lower due to fatigue.

I didn't mean to appear to be challenging you, I was just trying to ferret out a more precise value if indeed one was available.

11. velomanct

velomanct New Member

no problem. I didn't think you were challenging me. haha. I suppose my wording was not the best.

Speaking of Theo Boss, I read that he is 82kg. which would make his 5 sec power almost 2000watts, according to your chart.
    hmm, that's a coincidence, because that is my goal, and I am the same size as him! Yes, I have loftly goals, haha. But I made a 25% improvement last year, so why not make another 25% improvement this year! I am still 2 years younger than Boss, too.

12. wardie2000

wardie2000 New Member

I have intervals tomorrow, so i will see what i get.

Interesting thread though.