Highest power output??

Lee Povey

Nov 15, 2004
I would be interested to hear what the highest power outputs poeple using this site have produced?

Also does any one have an information on the highest figures produced by top male and female track sprinters?

Any links to sites or downloads from any testing on elite sprinters would be great too.

Thanks Lee Povey

Lee Povey said:
I would be interested to hear what the highest power outputs poeple using this site have produced?

Also does any one have an information on the highest figures produced by top male and female track sprinters?

Any links to sites or downloads from any testing on elite sprinters would be great too.

Thanks Lee Povey
Such a stat is going to vary quite a bit depending on weight, age, experience and of duration of power level. To that end...

Weight: 130 lbs (50 kg)
Max Power: 980 watts
Duration: 2 seconds.
Class: Cat 5.

Yes, it is pointless. :) 16.6 w/kg for maybe under 10sec. Since I am not a sprinter nor that I am built like one, it is pointless for me. Our NYC local hero "Ricky" from VisitBritain once produced 1600w during a final sprint up the cat's paw hill in CP.

joule said:
Such a stat is going to vary quite a bit depending on weight, age, experience and of duration of power level. To that end...

Weight: 130 lbs (50 kg)
Max Power: 980 watts
Duration: 2 seconds.
Class: Cat 5.

Lee Povey said:

Thanks Lee Povey
I'm a cat 1 from Ohio,weight 80kg
5min=460watts
30sec=850
5sec=1580
some of my best files were @ the Elite Crit Nats in Downers=avg power of 330 for a 52 mile race and a 20 mile TT @ 360 avg watts.

Lee Povey said:

Thanks Lee Povey
I don't think my short-duration power is anything to brag about, but here are my #s:
5min 438w
20sec 834w
5sec 1571w

RapDaddyo said:
I don't think my short-duration power is anything to brag about, but here are my #s:
5min 438w
20sec 834w
5sec 1571w
not bad for a guy born in 1943!!???If it's valid you should be winning every masters race on the planet!

todd1 said:
not bad for a guy born in 1943!!???If it's valid you should be winning every masters race on the planet!
It's valid (I'm 62), but we have a few old guys out here who are still pretty fast (John Howard and Wayne Stetina to name only two). And Palewin can't wait for me to come out East to get my a** kicked by the guys he rides with every week. The good news is that I don't think I have peaked since I got back on my bike last March. We'll see.

RapDaddyo said:
5min 438w
20sec 834w
5sec 1571w
Geez I hear Johan B is still looking for a leader for the 2006 Tour. Why not contact him? With those #'s and training 1500 TSS/week ... who can compete with that????

rmur

RapDaddyo said:
It's valid (I'm 62), but we have a few old guys out here who are still pretty fast (John Howard and Wayne Stetina to name only two). And Palewin can't wait for me to come out East to get my a** kicked by the guys he rides with every week. The good news is that I don't think I have peaked since I got back on my bike last March. We'll see.
Bajeezus! I really hope, for my ego, that you weigh a **** load. What's your w/kg?

Cripes, I was happy with ~350~.

whoawhoa said:
Bajeezus! I really hope, for my ego, that you weigh a **** load. What's your w/kg?

I'm still kind of heavy, at 80KG, but I plan to be down to at least 75KG by next May when it matters.

rmur17 said:
Geez I hear Johan B is still looking for a leader for the 2006 Tour. Why not contact him? With those #'s and training 1500 TSS/week ... who can compete with that????

rmur
Are you kidding? I can probably point to ~10 guys in my division alone (SoCal+SoNV). That's the disappointing thing about cycling. These guys don't get slower, they just get the senior disount at movies.

RapDaddyo said:
Are you kidding? I can probably point to ~10 guys in my division alone (SoCal+SoNV). That's the disappointing thing about cycling. These guys don't get slower, they just get the senior disount at movies.
What age division will you race? If you're forced to race 45 plus, I would agree. Those guys are fast, even in my region.

whoawhoa said:
What age division will you race? If you're forced to race 45 plus, I would agree. Those guys are fast, even in my region.
I don't know yet. Only a few races have age brackets above ~55+, but that's actually okay because I'd rather race against younger guys. I'd like to ride enough races to get into Cat3 this coming season, but I have to drive ~4hrs (to Los Angeles or San Diego) for most races so it's a bit of a hassle. I'm sort of focused on qualifying for nationals in the 40K TT, but I first have to survive the state championship race on 5/13.

Thats very strong
icon14.gif
whoawhoa said:

RapDaddyO, I've seen a lot of your insightful and knowledgeable posts, but this is the first time I think I've seen your numbers, which are impressive regardless of your age. I have to assume you haven't raced much with that kind of power, otherwise you would be at LEAST a Cat III. You could ride away from the Cat IV peloton putting out that kind of wattage, and that's here in SoCal! Do you realize they pretty much match up with the Cat I who posted from Ohio who is probably less than half your age? I guess the good news for me is that I'll be 37 next year, and they give me hope for many more years of improvement...sounds like I'll need it. Boy, power certainly is the measurement of truth, isn't it? Of course, it doesn't account for racing skills though.

For reference, I'm a 2nd year Cat IV in SoCal (whose lower power numbers will remain unpublished after seeing yours;)) who is confident in seeing some podiums next year. If you come to SoCal for some Cat IV races, please let us know which ones in advance so we can look out for you!!! :eek: I think I'll go ahead and make those my 'B' races. I'll get my anaerobic interval work done trying to stay in your draft when you breakaway.

As far as the Masters categories go, as I'm sure you know that's a whole other deal. With guys like Thurlow Rogers racing 3 or 4 crits a day on the weekends and going in often long and sometimes solo breakaways in all of them, and consistently placing top 10 (even in the Pro 1/2/3s), there are definitely VERY strong guys out there that ain't so young. Then again, I think he won the Road Race for his category (45-49) at the World Cup this year and he's also a retired pro like Wayne Stetina.

Suffice it to say I don't think you will have any problem upgrading to Cat III. I'd love to know more about your background. I'm hoping you didn't just hop on your back in March at 62; that would be rather humbling.

Cheers,

Ethan

I am new to the world of Power. What would interest me is how peoples figure relate to reality. If they gave the data and then gave a bit of information about themselves it would make the data a bit more clear. i.e 40k time.

I have just had a MAP test done and the results were 363w and 4.8w/kg. Now I am not sure if this is good or bad, I think not too good, but in the season I have done a 55 min 25 mile (40 k) and a 20:47 10 mile.

I now have a powertap that will allow me to maintain data over the season, but currently having one test doesn't really tell me too much.

wattsup? said:
RapDaddyO, I've seen a lot of your insightful and knowledgeable posts, but this is the first time I think I've seen your numbers, which are impressive regardless of your age. I have to assume you haven't raced much with that kind of power, otherwise you would be at LEAST a Cat III. You could ride away from the Cat IV peloton putting out that kind of wattage, and that's here in SoCal! Do you realize they pretty much match up with the Cat I who posted from Ohio who is probably less than half your age? I guess the good news for me is that I'll be 37 next year, and they give me hope for many more years of improvement...sounds like I'll need it. Boy, power certainly is the measurement of truth, isn't it? Of course, it doesn't account for racing skills though.

For reference, I'm a 2nd year Cat IV in SoCal (whose lower power numbers will remain unpublished after seeing yours;)) who is confident in seeing some podiums next year. If you come to SoCal for some Cat IV races, please let us know which ones in advance so we can look out for you!!! :eek: I think I'll go ahead and make those my 'B' races. I'll get my anaerobic interval work done trying to stay in your draft when you breakaway.

As far as the Masters categories go, as I'm sure you know that's a whole other deal. With guys like Thurlow Rogers racing 3 or 4 crits a day on the weekends and going in often long and sometimes solo breakaways in all of them, and consistently placing top 10 (even in the Pro 1/2/3s), there are definitely VERY strong guys out there that ain't so young. Then again, I think he won the Road Race for his category (45-49) at the World Cup this year and he's also a retired pro like Wayne Stetina.

Suffice it to say I don't think you will have any problem upgrading to Cat III. I'd love to know more about your background. I'm hoping you didn't just hop on your back in March at 62; that would be rather humbling.

Cheers,

Ethan
Hey Ethan, thanks for the note. No, I didn't get on a bike for the first time in March. I used to race (and train) pretty seriously back in the early 1970s. But, then life and children took priority and it's taken awhile until I could train properly again. Where do you live in SoCal? I will be down there from time to time next year. Maybe we can go for a ride? I came down last summer and went for a ride with OCRoadie, but my glutes were killing me and I wasn't able to push him on the climbs. I hope to do a little better next time. As to the SoCal races, I'll probably try to run with the Masters and, yes, I know they are fast. BTW, you ought to come up here and ride in the Nelson's Landing race at the end of January. It's a pretty challenging course.

Paul