Highest speed you've done on your bike?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mjw_byrne, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Harri_in_NS

Harri_in_NS New Member

My fastest was 85 km/h.....going down a steep hill, not much skill here. A side of beef on wheels would probably have gone faster, it wouldn't be tapping the breaks....LoL.

2. Mario Jr.

Mario Jr. New Member

103 km/h going down Passo Fedaia in the Dolomites in full tuck, and overtaking 1 bus, 1 motorcycle and 2 cars in the process. That was om my Trek 5500 with Time Avant fork. No wobble whatsoever. (For a few seconds i had only two fingers on the bars) Looking forward to see if my new Giant composite it just as stable. (I donĀ“t think so).

3. taras0000

taras0000 New Member

Fastest I've ever done is 103 k/h downhill on my litespeed tuscany. This was Sailor's Hill in Fenwick near Hamilton. This hill is just a nicely paved straight shot of 22% grade with an elevation drop of about 300 feet. Started at the top of the hill at about 20 k/h and just tucked in as tight as I could. The hill ends in a long gradually swooping road. I was 16 at the time. Now gotta try it again with 53x11 and powering the pedals instead of coasting junior gears. Prior to that I had only gone up the hill during races, so I figured I would try the other way.

fastest motorpace was 82.5 k/h behind my dad's motorcycle.

Lokstah, how is your paint job holding up on the new bike? I guess you must get a lot of looks.

4. ALAN OBRIEN

ALAN OBRIEN New Member

colnago active frameset, building it with last years ultegra group, still using time equipe mag's, ksyrium ssc sl's. it's actually due today, but guaranteed when i phone the lbs, i'll be told its not here yet. will let you know what happens.
    alan.

5. DrBorque

DrBorque New Member

I have managed to do 50.8 mph down a windey 17% hill, i had to do this on my MTB though because it ends in a hairpin turn and i needed the hydraulic disc brakes to slow me down for it ( i tried going down it on the road bike and i went straight over the hairpin and into a huge bush, must have been very funny to see). It's called Boxley hill, if you're ever in kent and near to Maidstone then check it out, you wont be dissapointed!:D

6. greenpeter2001

greenpeter2001 New Member

fastest 79 kmh down hill with 53/12 on giant cfr1
    i weigh 90ish kg and use scott bars
    at that speed i can't pedal anymore
    ie bike has is rolling quicker than i can pedal
    perhaps i need a 55/11 to brake the magic 80 kmh!

7. Roygarrod

Roygarrod New Member

I ride in the London to Brighton charity bike ride for the British Heart Foundation each year, and the fastest I have been was 46mph and guys were coming past me. Oooh that was fast enough for me.

8. tmctguer

tmctguer New Member

fastest i've ever been was 59.5 MPH down a 1.1 mile 7.8% grade hill near my home. i've come close before a few times on the same hill -- 54 MPH, 52 MPH, etc. -- but never topped that one day.

it is a cleanly paved road that doesn't get much traffic. near the top, there are a few crossing streets, but there is at least 3/4 mile of uninterrupted downhill.

i usually ride it once a month now. a few years ago, i was doing it twice a week. my training plan has changed so i only do the hillclimb when i need a power ride and only have a short time to work out.

the scariest moment for me came when i broke a spoke on a ride down that hill. i was probably going 45 MPH, and when i heard the clacking noise (over the intense wind noise in my ears), i feared a flat tire was coming. i was scared down to my bones, and began to slow down. it must have taken 200 yards to stop !

my leg started getting hit with the flying spoke and i was cut pretty badly. my paint around the rear frame was chewed to heck, too.

9. bobobg

bobobg New Member

About 20 yrs ago I hit 53 mph coming down the back side of Mt. Diablo {In Calif.} Haven't wanted to go that fast since. Still hit speeds in the 40mph+ range. In the San Francisco bay area it is hard not to.

10. Hammy211

Hammy211 New Member

61.4 as clocked my my Garmin forerunner coming down the pass next to Winter Park. I forget the name. Trek 5500 with trispokes. I have trouble breaking 50 without the areo wheels. What a silly thing to make my first post on. Fastest I've wrecked was coming around a corner going down Vail pass. I was doing about 40 lost control and planted my chest in a mound on the side of the trail. I came out of that somehow uninjured and without even road rash because of the way the mound stopped me.

11. lescor

lescor New Member

1990 Canadian road national championships in eastern Quebec. The wind was 50-70km/hr and on the first lap, the pack went down a very steep short hill with a direct tail wind. I was 19 and it was my first really big race and I was elbow to elbow with 120 guys and got over 100km/hr, 108 I believe.

One poor guy got squeezed into the barriers coming across the start finish line and clipped a crowd control fence with his shoulder, but we were only doing about 80km/hr by then.

Fastest on my own was 96km/hr down a long, straight and steep hill in the black hills of South Dakota. Bunny hopped a double set of tracks at the bottom of it.

12. mikem

mikem New Member

35 MPH coming down Mount Wachusett, Princeton, MA.

Plenty fast, needed new shorts after that one.

Guy who fell off and wound up in hospital - glad you're still here. I think of that constantly while descending.

13. stone61cm

stone61cm New Member

I live in Florida, the land without hills or mountains. I've only been riding for two months now, and the fastest speed i've gotten was 33.5 miles per hour on a 21 pound bike....heh

I personally find that to be impressive seeing as there was no wind and a 0% grade

14. dailuggs

dailuggs New Member

47.5, had brakes on at the time aswell, looking forward to getting my new bike now!

15. larry barr

larry barr New Member

58mph in Eastern Iowa. Gets quite hilly near the Mississippi.

16. hapaloch

hapaloch New Member

funny enough, 80kph on a mtb with slicks down a very steep hill, no wind, but never got past 79kph on the roadie (not tried the same hill, little ah caution goes a long way)

17. mmamster

mmamster New Member

63 km/h (about 40 mph) descending mt martha (a hill really) in Victoria. Ran out of gears but reckon if I had the guts I could get another 10 - 15 km/h by going for it from the top. A mate did 71 km/h on a hybrid on the same descent.

18. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

The fastest measured speed would be 58 mph down a volcano in Hawaii (Navy duty, not vacation) on an MTB. I wasn't scared at the time, but I would be now. It just wasn't that good of a bike ~ $300 Nishiki Manitoba. I'd love to try it again on a better bike now that I would consider myself a more skillful rider.

19. I've got a straight, smooth hill just down from the house that I hit every morning I commute. I don't know what the grade is. The first few times it was scary, but now I tuck in and push the 12/52 gears and 700x28Cs for everything I've got. Once I hit 39.9 mph, but normally the best I can do is around 38 on my hybrid.

There's another hill at the other end of my commute, but it's curvy and has two traffic lights to it. Besides that, when I'm coming back this way in the afternoon there's always traffic. However I still manage to pass more than my share of motor vehicles coming down the last of that one.:)

20. WOOOO-HOOOO, I did it. Left for work 30 minutes early this morning. Hit the downhill near the house in the dark. In the #1 lane I realized there was a little utility pickup in the same lane ahead of me and I was gaining. Got into a tight tuck and started pushing. Got closer and checked over my shoulder. There were two cars approaching in the #2 lane, so I let them pass then whipped over in the #2 lane and fwooosh. Passed the truck. YEE-Haw. :D

Of course I did all this in the dark and didn't know how fast I had been going until I got past the hill and back in town under the streetlights. The cyclocomputer now reads "MAX 40.0" mph. :)