Highest speed you've done on your bike?

I know it's an old post, but for the record...112km/h down Ashton hill in Sth Australia. 67.2mph I think that is?

42 miles per hour on a 1 mile stretch of 5% grade; my second fastest speed was 38 miles per hour, which I've done both on downhills and sprinting on the flats.

Highest speed was on a hill along an empty stretch of unfamiliar road near Lake George, NY. It was before 7:00 AM and no one was on the road, my family was asleep and had no clue where to find me if I lost it. Hence I began grabbing the brakes at 45 mph. :eek:

Later I wondered about a sticker on my bike. It says something to the effect, "...not intended for downhill racing..." Since I was the only one on the road, it shouldn't count as racing right? :confused:

pinarello65 said:
I know it's an old post, but for the record...112km/h down Ashton hill in Sth Australia. 67.2mph I think that is?
92 Km/h down Mt Osmond on the freeway side. Could go faster but there is an intersection at the bottom and i wasn't to sure how much braking distance was required.:cool:

Whilst not in the league of some posts here, about 2 weeks ago I was on a local decent with good tarmac at 39mph, with a 30ish strong, cycle club outing coming up the hill the other way.

Nothing of interest here except that some twonk in a Ford Puma decided to overtake the "peleton" on my side of the road leaving me around 3 feet from the curb to pass through with a closing speed of I guess 80mph?

Needless to say the expletive/deletives came thick and fast from my already bursting lungs!

On the return loop of a ride I did on the Blue Ridge Parkway I hit 49.7 mph on a 7.5mi descent. I was just coasting, with no kick off the top and no use of the brakes either. I had no desire at the time to try and spin it out and see if I could hit 50+ and I still dont, even though the number would look a lot faster with +.3mph lol. It was glorious. Descent lasted some 9 minutes like that and I carried the momentum through a ways of the rolling hills at the bottom. Some time later the line of cars I was with at the top passed, since the speed limit in there is 25mph. That was the spot where I hit the 3 mile climb back to the parking lot. :p I was truly knackered trying to get back to the parking lot, but it remains the most amazing ride (climbs and descents inclusive) I have ever done.

For the guy who crashed.. wow. I am glad you have a positive outlook on it and are back on a bike.

32.5 on my old GT a few years ago. Just got my new bike. Soon as I get used to her, I believe I will eclipse that easy. For speed, I gotta settle for MTB. Short and fast.

stone61cm said:
I live in Florida, the land without hills or mountains. I've only been riding for two months now, and the fastest speed i've gotten was 33.5 miles per hour on a 21 pound bike....heh

I personally find that to be impressive seeing as there was no wind and a 0% grade

55 mph on one of the local descents last summer. Normally 45-48 is tops, but we had a good tailwind that day. It's straight and wide-open, so no braking is required.

Mine was about 42mph,,,but only because it was down a road I've never been on before, and there were other cars. Nice descent though, but scary. Under my own power on flat ground, I've topped 36mph, but the speed doesn't bother me that much when on level ground. Going downhill though, even while riding the brakes at 42mph, I was scared to death.

ALAN OBRIEN said:
can anyone go one better than what happened me?
I one time fell over at a stop light because the clipless pedals were to tight and it was my first time riding with them. Does this count?? :D

ALAN OBRIEN said:
can anyone go one better than what happened me?
I hit a lamp post feet-first on a UK dual carriageway at a little over 95 mph after first putting my fist through some illuminated steel street furniture, but that was when I sphinctered out on a bend and tried to brake from 115 on a Yamaha which doesn't really count... (safety tip: don't do it - it smarts). Worst cycling injury to date was endo-ing a Mk II Raleigh Chopper and doing a full face plant with half twist into the edge of the kerb. The subsequent eating through straw for a month stopped any form of active class participation at school and let me perform a plausible John Merrick impression for a while (silver linings).

In spite of these attempts at amateur aerobatics, my friends and family apparently remain surprised that I don't hurt myself more often...;)
Mike

49mph, steep hill in NH, on my colnago classic, campy chorus.

Scary--couldn't break the 50mph. mark.

Glad the gentlemen who wrecked is alive and riding again!

I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area and so far my best is 45mph down a hill in the Muenster, Tx bicycle rally which is about an hour northwest of the area. I have however maintained appx. 40mph for about five miles drafting a cement mixer on a major six lane road through Southlake. This is probably not safe but a lot of fun.

56mph at the hilly hundred in Indiana. I was on my tailfaired carbon lowracer. Upright bikes on the same hill were hitting 40mph.

Did 98.6 km/h on a long downhill somewhere in NewFoundLand; on a fully packed (25kgs) Challenge recumbent; next day the front tyre blew (rim tape shifted) and I was on my side on the road (at 18 km/h)...scratched my ellbow (...a bit)

You guys are nuts. I was proud of my 42.9 MPH. It's a pretty short hill with a curve in it where you pretty much need to cut into oncoming traffic to maintain any reasonable speed.

Then again, I might be able to get as high as 50 MPH on it if I didn't need to stop at the end so I don't fly out into traffic, and if I had on spandex like a good cyclist.

Baggy t-shirts and athletic shorts act like sails.

My trusty Paramount computer read 60 mph even on a decent outside of
Moscow, Idaho in the late 1980s. Riding a Gitane Tour De France (wonderful bike; Reynolds 753). That was as fast as I've ever been and that's fine by me.

DrBorque said:
I have managed to do 50.8 mph down a windey 17% hill, i had to do this on my MTB though because it ends in a hairpin turn and i needed the hydraulic disc brakes to slow me down for it ( i tried going down it on the road bike and i went straight over the hairpin and into a huge bush, must have been very funny to see). It's called Boxley hill, if you're ever in kent and near to Maidstone then check it out, you wont be dissapointed!:D

Are you talking about Box hill or is Boxley hill somewhere totally diferent?