Highest speed you've done on your bike?

Chris Bryson said:
according to my computer 88 mph-I think its lying!

88k = 55mph, 90k = 56.25mph,

88mph = 140k on a road/racing bike with no suspension, not possible.

The speed record for bicycles over a distance of 200 m with flying start is a good 105 km/h (May 1986 at 2400 m altitude). The world hour record is at present 73 km/h (September 1989)

I don't know if there is a downhill speed record. Anyone know ?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/aero/aerodynamics.htm

Hi All
Dont get uptight and serious-the bike computer was telling lies-if I went that fast i'd have a heart attack

63mph descending into Ponca Arkansas. Which happens to be in the Boxely Valley but in the USA.

I just had to resurrect this thread because of the ride I did yesterday... The timing was perfect as I crested the top of the mountain a large box truck passed me and I was able to sprint into his draft. He pulled me down the mountain reaching 95kph (about 59mph) at one point, and I was feathering my brakes(oh if only he would have gone faster I could have broken 100). After the steep decent it becomes rolling, but 80% down a slight grade and I was able to stay in his draft at 65-85kph for 10K until I needed to turn off. I was sooo glad I had my 23-11 on because I was spinning like mad every uphill and would have got dropped with a 12. It was the best truck draft I have had in my ten years of riding. And yes I know it was dangerous, but tell me what is fun that isn't...

Cyclist14 said:
A measly 41.4 MPH:D , I live in a flat area:(

your sig says you live in Charlotte... I used to live there and compared to many areas, Charlotte is not flat. There are be plenty of short steep hills where you can break that speed (try Gaston County or ride around the Crowders Mtn area). If you really want to go fast head out to Hwy 181 in the Blue Ridge mountains(only about 70 miles away)... I have hit 60mph coming down that road... and there are many other rides in Western NC that will have you over 55mph without trying.

In recent memory it was 49.5mph down a local brief yet steep 14% grade. Fastest ever was 52mph down the Kamikaze at Mammoth mountain on my hardtail (I nearly soiled my shorts on that one).:D

wilmar13 said:
I just had to resurrect this thread because of the ride I did yesterday... The timing was perfect as I crested the top of the mountain a large box truck passed me and I was able to sprint into his draft. He pulled me down the mountain reaching 95kph (about 59mph) at one point, and I was feathering my brakes(oh if only he would have gone faster I could have broken 100). After the steep decent it becomes rolling, but 80% down a slight grade and I was able to stay in his draft at 65-85kph for 10K until I needed to turn off. I was sooo glad I had my 23-11 on because I was spinning like mad every uphill and would have got dropped with a 12. It was the best truck draft I have had in my ten years of riding. And yes I know it was dangerous, but tell me what is fun that isn't...
nice! i would love to do that some day. I have never really drafted any vehicle, expect for when my friend and I planned it out one day. He had a mini size suv, which provided a very good windsheild. After about 3 runs down the 1 mile 9% grade, i finally broke 70mph (113kph). I was spinning like mad in my 53x12 (200rpms). The cracks in the pavement were nearly launching me off the ground, because of the unstable effect of spinning at 200rpms. It was the most fun ever.