UK and Europe · Public discussion

Highway code - Cylists must use cyclepaths

Started by Arthur Clune · · Last activity · 97 posts · 2,283 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
2 March 2006
Last activity
7 March 2006
Original author
Arthur Clune
Posts
97
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,283
Views / 30 days
18

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 97
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Matt B said:
    triddletree said:
    Matt B said:

    >>>> I just read it properly - it's utter scare-mongering balderdash!
    >>>> because he was running late. No motorist is going to be able to
    >>>> claim it wasn't his fault he hit you because you should have been
    >>>> in the cycle facility, out of his way! ... or does someone have
    >>>> evidence to the contrary?

    Quoted message said:

    >>> Yes.
    >>
    >>
    >> Where?
    >
    >
    > Here.

    Where here? Can you be more helpful please. Do you know of a
    specific case where failure to obey a 'should' led to reduced
    compensation on the grounds that "one was asking for it" by being in
    the way?


    There are many cases where a motorist has "claimed it wasn't his
    fault" because a cyclist should have been in a cycling facility.
    That is what you asked.

    The claims I am aware of were all thrown out.

    Ah, so there's /no/ problem then.

    AClaims may cause problems - ask your teacher.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can refer you to the specific solicitors office if I didn't know you
    were simply an ill-informed troll.

    What /specific/ "solicitors office"? What makes you so sure that I am a
    troll - I ask awkward questions?

    Try Lamb, Phillips & Hawford.
    You can look their number up yourself. Ask for Alan in the Claims
    Department.
    Say Tony gave you his name.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You are not a cyclist are you.

    No answer, I didn't think you were.

    What are you doing here?

    tt

  2. triddletree said:
    Matt B said:
    triddletree said:

    Matt B wrote:

    > Where here? Can you be more helpful please. Do you know of a
    > specific case where failure to obey a 'should' led to reduced
    > compensation on the grounds that "one was asking for it" by being in
    > the way?
    >
    There are many cases where a motorist has "claimed it wasn't his
    fault" because a cyclist should have been in a cycling facility.
    That is what you asked.

    The claims I am aware of were all thrown out.

    Ah, so there's /no/ problem then.

    AClaims may cause problems - ask your teacher.

    Sorry?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can refer you to the specific solicitors office if I didn't know
    you were simply an ill-informed troll.

    What /specific/ "solicitors office"? What makes you so sure that I am
    a troll - I ask awkward questions?

    Try Lamb, Phillips & Hawford.

    For what, I'm not with you.

    Quoted message said:

    You can look their number up yourself. Ask for Alan in the Claims
    Department.
    Say Tony gave you his name.

    Why?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You are not a cyclist are you.

    No answer, I didn't think you were.

    Why are you being so provocative? Didn't you get my answer? If you
    /are/ using normal English then, of course, I /am/ a cyclist.

    Quoted message said:

    What are you doing here?

    I'm attempting to contribute to the discussion. Now, more importantly,
    what are /you/ you doing here other than attempting to isolate me?

    --
    Matt B

  3. Matt B said:

    Don't just think of me, think of all our fellow cyclists -

    "our fellow cyclists" ??

    In what way are you a cyclist, except for being a recycler of tired old
    trolls?

    Mike

  4. MSeries said:


    Perhaps, I have recieved a snail mail response though, can't see how he
    would deal with it any differently had I penned a letter. I emailed him
    through his website not using the CTC site.

    You're lucky. My MP has ignored all communications by all means I've
    ever tried (letter to constituency office, letter to HoC, fax, email).
    All disappear without trace. It's the price you pay for living in
    such a safe seat you're a nice cushy sinecure.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  5. "Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I haven't seen this mentioned here yet:

    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4303

    The Driving Standards Agency has begun a public consultation
    on a revised draft of the Highway Code - it can be viewed at
    http://www.dsa.gov.uk/highwaycode

    The major problem is a proposed new rule telling cyclists to
    use cycle routes when practicable and cycle facilities ... where
    they are provided (Rule 58). If confirmed, this would open the
    way for driver's insurance companies to seek to reduce the damages
    for any cyclists injured by their clients, on the basis that the
    cyclist's failure to use a nearby cycle facility (in accordance
    with the Highway Code) represented "contributory negligence"


    It's contributory negligence already if a cyclist does not take adequate
    measures to contribute to his own safety by using a suitable alternative,
    where one exists, to a crowded busy road with potentially dangerous
    traffic on it.

  6. ian henden said:

    It's contributory negligence already if a cyclist does not take
    adequate measures to contribute to his own safety by using a suitable
    alternative, where one exists, to a crowded busy road with
    potentially dangerous traffic on it.

    <plonk>

  7. ian henden said:

    It's contributory negligence already if a cyclist does not take adequate
    measures to contribute to his own safety by using a suitable alternative,
    where one exists, to a crowded busy road with potentially dangerous
    traffic on it.

    So you would agree a driver is being negligent towards his own safety if
    there were a suitable alternative for his journey?

    Such as a bus perhaps?

    tt

  8. triddletree said:
    ian henden said:

    It's contributory negligence already if a cyclist does not take adequate
    measures to contribute to his own safety by using a suitable alternative,
    where one exists, to a crowded busy road with potentially dangerous
    traffic on it.

    So you would agree a driver is being negligent towards his own safety if
    there were a suitable alternative for his journey?

    Or towards others safety?

    Quoted message said:

    Such as a bus perhaps?

    ...d

  9. Matt B said:
    MSeries said:
    triddletree said:

    Matt B wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4303
    >
    > I just read it properly - it's utter scare-mongering balderdash!
    > because he was running late. No motorist is going to be able to claim
    > it wasn't his fault he hit you because you should have been in the cycle
    > facility, out of his way! ... or does someone have evidence to the
    > contrary?
    Yes.

    Next.

    Its not about who is to blame its about compensation.

    If one has a good reason ( i.e. not just bloody mindedness ;-) ) for
    /not/ being in the 'facility' then how can that be construed as
    contributory to any collision? I'm not sure that even disobeying a
    'must' could be construed as therefore deserving to be hit.

    --
    Matt B

    Who defines good ? The cyclists lawyer or the motorists lawyer ?

  10. Ian Smith said:
    MSeries said:


    Perhaps, I have recieved a snail mail response though, can't see how he
    would deal with it any differently had I penned a letter. I emailed him
    through his website not using the CTC site.

    You're lucky. My MP has ignored all communications by all means I've
    ever tried (letter to constituency office, letter to HoC, fax, email).
    All disappear without trace. It's the price you pay for living in
    such a safe seat you're a nice cushy sinecure.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

    I contacted Mr Challon to ask for his support on the helmet EDM, he
    responsed by email saying he is a CTC member and rides a bike whenever
    he can make the time.

  11. David Martin said:
    triddletree said:
    ian henden said:

    It's contributory negligence already if a cyclist does not take adequate
    measures to contribute to his own safety by using a suitable alternative,
    where one exists, to a crowded busy road with potentially dangerous
    traffic on it.

    So you would agree a driver is being negligent towards his own safety if
    there were a suitable alternative for his journey?

    Or towards others safety?

    That too.
    I was thinking of claims against his own insurance which could be
    refused because he could have taken a bus (or cycled) instead.

    tt

  12. On 3 Mar 2006 00:22:16 -0800 someone who may be "MSeries"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I contacted Mr Challon to ask for his support on the helmet EDM, he
    responsed by email saying he is a CTC member and rides a bike whenever
    he can make the time.

    That doesn't tell us what his views were on the EDM though.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  13. David Hansen said:

    On 3 Mar 2006 00:22:16 -0800 someone who may be "MSeries"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I contacted Mr Challon to ask for his support on the helmet EDM, he
    responsed by email saying he is a CTC member and rides a bike whenever
    he can make the time.

    That doesn't tell us what his views were on the EDM though.

    He was ready to oppose the EDM.

  14. Ian Smith said:

    You're lucky. My MP has ignored all communications by all means I've ever
    tried (letter to constituency office, letter to HoC, fax, email). All
    disappear without trace. It's the price you pay for living in such a safe
    seat you're a nice cushy sinecure.

    Name and shame them. I also live in a nice safe Conservative seat but I
    do get the courtesy of a considered reply from my MP to every
    communication I have sent.

    --
    Regards
    Tony
    (Take out the garbage to reply)

  15. Arthur Clune came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:

    I haven't seen this mentioned here yet:

    Look for the thread started by Guy titled "Highway Code Consultation"

    Quoted message said:

    The major problem is a proposed new rule telling cyclists to
    use cycle routes when practicable and cycle facilities ... where
    they are provided (Rule 58).

    .... and further into the thread where [email hidden] explains
    that this _ISN'T_ what's said, but is a parahrase of

    "And the actual wording of rule 58 is

    When cycling
    58. Use cycle routes when practicable and cycle facilities
    such as advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan
    crossings where they are provided, as they can make your
    journeys safer."

    Which is different to how you put it ...

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  16. ian henden wrote:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    It's contributory negligence already if a cyclist does not take adequate
    measures to contribute to his own safety by using a suitable alternative,
    where one exists, to a crowded busy road with potentially dangerous
    traffic on it.

    OK, lets try an an example. I'm driving along the A6 in Cumbria because
    it's prettier than the M6, and I get hit and killed by a negligent 3rd
    party. The 3rd party's insurers try to get out of paying reasonable
    compensation to my family because I could have used an alternative
    route (the M6) that is statistically safer. Would this pass muster in a
    court? I don't think so. However, this is exactly what the proposed
    wording of the HC attempts to do to cyclists.

    And that's before we actually look at the statistics, which all show
    that cycling on the road is _safer_ than cycling on a cycleway / path.

    Just one of the reasons I disagree with the HC wording is that it
    misrepresents the facts. The bit "they may make your journey safer" is
    a distortion of the truth. In the majority of cases, the presence of a
    'facility' makes things lees rather than more safe. The weasel word
    'may' is not sufficient to rectify this IMO.

    TL

  17. Paul - censored said:


    When cycling
    58. Use cycle routes when practicable and cycle facilities
    such as advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan
    crossings where they are provided, as they can make your
    journeys safer."

    I was just quoting the CTC.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  18. "Matt B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    triddletree said:
    Matt B said:

    triddletree wrote:

    > Matt B wrote:
    >
    >> Where here? Can you be more helpful please. Do you know of a
    >> specific case where failure to obey a 'should' led to reduced
    >> compensation on the grounds that "one was asking for it" by being in
    >> the way?
    >>
    > There are many cases where a motorist has "claimed it wasn't his fault"
    > because a cyclist should have been in a cycling facility.
    > That is what you asked.
    >
    > The claims I am aware of were all thrown out.

    Ah, so there's /no/ problem then.

    AClaims may cause problems - ask your teacher.

    Sorry?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I can refer you to the specific solicitors office if I didn't know you
    > were simply an ill-informed troll.

    What /specific/ "solicitors office"? What makes you so sure that I am a
    troll - I ask awkward questions?

    Try Lamb, Phillips & Hawford.

    For what, I'm not with you.

    Quoted message said:

    You can look their number up yourself. Ask for Alan in the Claims
    Department.
    Say Tony gave you his name.

    Why?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > You are not a cyclist are you.

    No answer, I didn't think you were.

    Why are you being so provocative? Didn't you get my answer? If you /are/
    using normal English then, of course, I /am/ a cyclist.

    Quoted message said:

    What are you doing here?

    I'm attempting to contribute to the discussion. Now, more importantly,
    what are /you/ you doing here other than attempting to isolate me?

    --
    Matt B

    Matt,

    I'm sure that you are totally sincere in your contributions, but if your
    idea of 'contributing' is to fire off a series of questions which you
    yourself regard as 'awkward' rather than 'useful' or 'constructive' or
    'adding to the debate' there are those of us who would be tempted to
    conclude that you might be trying to be awkward for awkwardness' sake, which
    is certainly a troll-like characteristic.

    Here's a question for you, slightly off topic, but hey, all discourse is
    good...

    Is the term 'troll' derived from the game-fishing lure or the bogey-man who
    lives under a bridge - both would seem to be appropriate.

    Hope that's not too awkward for you ;-)

  19. In article said:


    Is the term 'troll' derived from the game-fishing lure or the bogey-man who
    lives under a bridge - both would seem to be appropriate.

    Fishing, but the meaning has shifted since then. The usage of "trolling
    for newbies" included making statements that anyone who had followed the
    group for a while before posting (as recommended in netiquette guides)
    would recognize as in jokes, and seeing who leapt to "correct" them.

    alt.folklore.urban is (or at least was) a good place to see that sort
    of trolling, with conventions about headers, rules against crossposted
    trolls, etc..

    The typical modern "you can't be sure I'm trolling, I could really
    be this stupid instead of just stupid enough to pretend to be this
    stupid" type troll is rather boring in comparison.

    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Etymology

  20. "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Budstaff

    Quoted message said:


    Is the term 'troll' derived from the game-fishing lure or the bogey-man
    who
    lives under a bridge - both would seem to be appropriate.

    Fishing, but the meaning has shifted since then. The usage of "trolling
    for newbies" included making statements that anyone who had followed the
    group for a while before posting (as recommended in netiquette guides)
    would recognize as in jokes, and seeing who leapt to "correct" them.

    alt.folklore.urban is (or at least was) a good place to see that sort
    of trolling, with conventions about headers, rules against crossposted
    trolls, etc..

    The typical modern "you can't be sure I'm trolling, I could really
    be this stupid instead of just stupid enough to pretend to be this
    stupid" type troll is rather boring in comparison.

    See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#Etymology

    Alan,

    Thank you for your most enlightening answer, I shall enjoy following the
    references.

    I was of course, hoping to provoke an answer from MattB. Does that make _me_
    a troll? ;-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.