Highway code

Coyoteboy

Guest
You see its about taking care of the people who are vulnerable, not just
"I'm in a car and roads are made for cars". When you're driving a car
you are driving a lethal object, as you always told me. Roads are made
for everyone to use, as a driver AND a cyclists I drive around cyclists
as I would like other people to drive near me. As a non-cyclist you have
forgotten what its like to have 2 tons of BMW hurtling at you 2ft from
your elbow.

Section "Road users requiring extra care" [by motorists]

Rule 213:

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road
surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches
on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to
any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Rule 163 (Note example picture)
"...give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room
as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)"
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

As for overtaking cyclists with double white lines, rule 129, note the
exemption for cases of cyclists and horses traveling <10mph:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you
MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter
adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary,
provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a
pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling
at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Hence if they are going >10mph you MUST stay behind them.

Like it or not, its the law by which you will be judged ;)

On 20 Nov, 12:41, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hmmm, that whole email thing again.

OK, now that you've woken us up, you can't leave us dangling. Prey
tell us to whom you were intending to write, and what they did to
require correction.

David Lloyd

David Lloyd wrote:
> On 20 Nov, 12:41, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hmmm, that whole email thing again.

> OK, now that you've woken us up, you can't leave us dangling. Prey
> tell us to whom you were intending to write, and what they did to
> require correction.
>
> David Lloyd

Father :) Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.
Escalated into an argument about highway code quotations as he didn't
believe me. To be fair they didn't say exactly what I thought they did
but they point in the same general direction. It was one of those times
where we both come out with a comment and then refuse to back down lol.

On 20 Nov, 15:15, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Father :) Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.

A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

On 20 Nov, 16:57, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 20 Nov, 15:15, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Father :) Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.

> A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
> that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

Close, ISTR that a cyclist cannot do anything but wobble, we proceed
by a series of swerves.

LSMike wrote:
> On 20 Nov, 16:57, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 20 Nov, 15:15, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Father :) Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.

>> A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
>> that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

> Close, ISTR that a cyclist cannot do anything but wobble, we proceed
> by a series of swerves.

If sat down I'm fairly sure that I can proceed without wobbling, but its
hard work. I think his original point was that standing up and thrashing
like the guy was (was on a dual slalom on the road with a 36 tooth ring
going uphill) wobbling in about 1ft magnitude waves and that that was
unnecessary. I argued the point but it got a tad heated and ended up
arguing about the rights and wrongs of bikes being treated differently
to cars on the road.

On Nov 20, 5:44 pm, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:

> If sat down I'm fairly sure that I can proceed without wobbling, but its
> hard work.

This comes up from time to time. It's impossible to ride in a dead
straight line. With a skillful rider at speed the curves are so slight
they are imperceptible but they are there. If you doubt this try to
ride with your headset locked.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> On Nov 20, 5:44 pm, Coyoteboy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> If sat down I'm fairly sure that I can proceed without wobbling, but its
>> hard work.

> This comes up from time to time. It's impossible to ride in a dead
> straight line. With a skillful rider at speed the curves are so slight
> they are imperceptible but they are there. If you doubt this try to
> ride with your headset locked.
>
> --
> Dave...

True, considering roads aren't dead straight either I wouldnt expect it
to be practicable :)

On Nov 20, 4:57 pm, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:

> A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
> that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

I heard that years ago. There are a few unauthoritative references to
its being a ruling but I'be never been able to find a good reference
to it.

--
Dave...

On Nov 20, 10:51 pm, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 4:57 pm, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
> > that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

> I heard that years ago. There are a few unauthoritative references to
> its being a ruling but I'be never been able to find a good reference
> to it.

a cursory search of http://www.bailii.org for "bicycle, wobble"
didn't help but someone with mroe perseverance might be successful

best wishes
james

On Nov 21, 12:12 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Nov 20, 10:51 pm, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 20, 4:57 pm, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
> > > that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

> > I heard that years ago. There are a few unauthoritative references to
> > its being a ruling but I'be never been able to find a good reference
> > to it.

> a cursory search ofhttp://www.bailii.orgfor "bicycle, wobble"
> didn't help but someone with mroe perseverance might be successful
>
> best wishes
> james

Best I can find is:
http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/marku....html&query=cyclist+and+wobble&method=boolean

The clearance left in the circumstances, to accommodate such features
as the body of the cyclist and the natural wobble of a cycle was
small.

Tim.

In article <47821bf3-5b33-4098-9c66-e4f930373361
@w28g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, [email protected] says...
> On Nov 20, 10:51 pm, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Nov 20, 4:57 pm, POHB <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
> > > that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

> > I heard that years ago. There are a few unauthoritative references to
> > its being a ruling but I'be never been able to find a good reference
> > to it.

> a cursory search of http://www.bailii.org for "bicycle, wobble"
> didn't help but someone with mroe perseverance might be successful

A cursory search for Crank v Brooks shows that it does not include one
of the key cases in cycling law so I wonder how much is likely to be
there on matters relevant to cycling.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

In the above case, Dr Seale said:

> He considered that a distance of 0.7 metres was not enough to enable the vehicle to pass a cyclist in safety. Asked as to what was a necessary minimum separation for safe passing, he indicated that 0.85 metres complete separation was an absolute minimum; even that was dangerously close. In excess of 1 metre would be more appropriate. The Highway Code recommended that a driver of a vehicle should give the same clearance to a cyclist as would be given to a motor vehicle. Very few motorists gave a clearance of less than 0.85 metres. In this connection he made reference to paragraph 87 of the 1987 edition of the document.

Which means that if you can reach out and touch a car that is passing
you, then it is far too close.