Highway Code

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bazza De Looney, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny Colyer

Danny Colyer Guest

davep wrote:
    > you've just reminded me of the group who were on Family Fortunes and were told "we asked a hundred
    > people what excuse they would give if stopped for speeding"

One former colleague of mine was stopped for speeding and gave the excuse "I couldn't see the speed
    limit signs because of the fog"!

Needless to say, he got points on his licence.

--
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

2. Andymorris

Andymorris Guest

James Hodson wrote:
    >
    > How's about a temporarily stuck throttle cable

That happened to my dad's car when I was a small child. The throttle stuck wide open. I remember us
    belting along the motorway with the brakes on, until the next services, where we freewheeled in.

--
    Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

3. "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > One former colleague of mine was stopped for speeding and gave the excuse "I couldn't see the
    > speed limit signs because of the fog"!
    >
    > Needless to say, he got points on his licence.
    >
    > --

I'm inclined to think that most of the excuses people give for speeding are worse than simply
    admiting they were being silly and going too fast!

Rule number 1: when making excuses for speeding carefully avoid anything that suggests lack of
    attention .. that combined with excess speed makes the offence worse!

Rich

4. [email protected] (Bazza De Looney) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Now I know I should know the answer to this but I dont. The highway code shos speed limits for
    > vehicles but not for cyclists, now logically the speed limits should apply to us two wheel man
    > powered speed freaks but can anyone confirm or deny this please, and keep me out of trouble.
    >
    > My question is prompted by just having gone through a radar speed trap set to catch motor cycles
    > on the moors above Rochdale. The policeman in charge was not impressed by a mountain bike doing 47
    > mph through his trap!
    >
    > Any answers via e-mail please, all would be appreciated.
    >
    > Barrie Winstanley

Well Mr Winstanley,

If he was just unimpressed and gave you a telling off then I hoped you hung your head in shame
    and promised not to do it again. I'm guessing he didn't book you for anything, so bit of a result
    all round.

He gets to do his bit for road safety - and has something to talk about in the pub afterwards. You
    get a confirmed speed for that patch of road, the chance to boast about it on urc, and something to
    talk about in the pub afterwards.

Win-win - the best solution. SteveP

5. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
    > > Any answers via e-mail please, all would be appreciated.
    > Bad form, old chap.

"Any answers via e-mail, and I'll post a summary to the group", on the other hand, is good form.

6. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

Alan Braggins wrote:
    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>> Any answers via e-mail please, all would be appreciated. Bad form, old chap.
    >
    > "Any answers via e-mail, and I'll post a summary to the group", on the other hand, is good form.

Accepted.

--
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

7. Dave Kahn

Dave Kahn Guest

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> There was one ludicrous story of a non-serious cyclist getting clocked at some completely
    > implausible speed that was discussed here some time ago.

Non-serious as in "you cannot be serious"?

--
    Dave...

8. Richard

Richard Guest

Dave Kahn wrote:
    >
    > James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > There was one ludicrous story of a non-serious cyclist getting clocked at some completely
    > > implausible speed that was discussed here some time ago.
    >
    > Non-serious as in "you cannot be serious"?

I once got into conversation with a scary cyclist who claimed, with a face straighter than a very
    straight thing, he'd once done 60 mph on Granville Road here in Sheffield, with wind assistance.
    Now, this would be almost believeable - it's approaching 1 in 4 in places, it's almost straight as a
    die, visibility is good, and it's about 3/4 of a mile long; it's easy to clock 30 mph downhill
    freewheeling.

Except this guy claimed he was doing 60 mph UP Granville Road. I nodded politely. :)

R.

9. J-P.S

J-P.S Guest

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:46:57 +0000, Richard scrawled: ) Except this guy claimed he was doing 60 mph
    UP Granville Road. I nodded ) politely. :)

Does he, like much of the transient population in Oxford, confuse going up with going down?

J-P
    --
    He's tan, he's rested, and he's ready: Nixon in '92.

10. Marc

Marc Guest

j-p.s <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    > Does he, like much of the transient population in Oxford, confuse going up with going down?

I have visited Oxford so could at times be called transient and I certainly notice when either I or
    anyone else are "going down"!

11. James Annan

James Annan Guest

Dave Kahn wrote:

> Non-serious as in "you cannot be serious"?

Non-serious as some middle-aged woman on an MTB, who did the odd 5 mile ride on the advice of her
    doctor. Hardly a recipe for 40mph on a flat road.

James

12. Dave Kahn

Dave Kahn Guest

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave Kahn wrote:
    >
    > > Non-serious as in "you cannot be serious"?
    >
    > Non-serious as some middle-aged woman on an MTB, who did the odd 5 mile ride on the advice of her
    > doctor. Hardly a recipe for 40mph on a flat road.

You cannot be serious! :)

--
    Dave...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.