Highway riding experiences?

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... When I was young you could stay in a furnished room
> for about $25. a month. I suspect the prices have risen
> considerably from those days, but that is what I would
> recommend if you want to simplify your life....

In the Upper Midwest, the least expensive rooms in medium
sized cities are about $200/month. Some of these are rather
unattractive, unless you like cockroaches as pets.

The unattractive rooms, complete with cockroaches start at
rents of $420.00 usd per month in Toronto & sharing a
bathroom and kitchen. The waiting list for these rooms can
be over a year.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... When I was young you could stay in a furnished room
> > for about $25. a month. I suspect the prices have risen
> > considerably from those days, but that is what I would
> > recommend if you want to simplify your life....
>
> In the Upper Midwest, the least expensive rooms in medium
> sized cities are about $200/month. Some of these are
> rather unattractive, unless you like cockroaches as pets.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... When I was young you could stay in a furnished room
> > for about $25. a month. I suspect the prices have risen
> > considerably from those days, but that is what I would
> > recommend if you want to simplify your life....
>
> In the Upper Midwest, the least expensive rooms in medium
> sized cities are about $200/month. Some of these are
> rather unattractive, unless you like cockroaches as pets.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Tom, if you can think back to the 1950's that is where I
have been at my entire life. Consequently, I have been going
through my life feeling that everyone is constantly trying
to rob me. Only the 1950's prices seem right to me. Any
prices beyond those prices that prevailed then seem like
nothing but highway robbery. Consequently, I have been at
war with society all of my life.

Frankly, I have never understood inflation. It seems to me
that prices should constantly be falling instead of rising
since we acquire more efficiency as the years go by.
Therefore, everything should constantly be getting cheaper
and cheaper. Obviously, I am missing something here.

When I consider the subscription price to RCN it seems to me
it should cost about $15. to $20. a year as that is what I
used to pay for any and all magazine subscriptions back in
the 1950's. Instead the price of RCN is about $35. per
annum. In fact, everything is at least double what it ought
to cost by 1950's standards. My income has never changed
from the 1950's, so that may be the root of my problem.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... Tom, if you can think back to the 1950's that is where
> I have been at my entire life. Consequently, I have been
> going through my life feeling that everyone is constantly
> trying to rob me. Only the 1950's prices seem right to me.
> Any prices beyond those prices that prevailed then seem
> like nothing but highway robbery. Consequently, I have
> been at war with society all of my life....

Ed,

Here is a website for you: <http://data.bls.gov/cgi-
bin/cpicalc.pl>. Your 1950 dollar is worth $7.68 now.

> Your 1950 dollar is worth $7.68 now.

If it was a *silver* dollar, it's now worth $10 or more.

"EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The unattractive rooms, complete with cockroaches start at
> rents of $420.00 usd per month in Toronto & sharing a
> bathroom and kitchen. The waiting list for these rooms can
> be over a year.
>
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...

> > Edward Dolan wrote:

> > > When I was young you could stay in a furnished room
> > > for about $25. a month. I suspect the prices have
> > > risen considerably from those days, but that is what I
> > > would recommend if you want to simplify your life....
> >
> > In the Upper Midwest, the least expensive rooms in
> > medium sized cities are about $200/month. Some of
> > these are rather unattractive, unless you like
> > cockroaches as pets.
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

OK, story time once again boys and girls! There is a small
town not too far from here in Iowa that has had a house for
sale for years at around $7,000. It looks to be a very nice
house, not small but not large either and fairly modern,
and is comparable to the other houses that exist in the
town. I was talking to a neighbor and he tells me that they
are going to have to drop the price on the house as they
can't sell it.

This small town has nothing in it except for a country
church. Nope, not even a grocery store. You would have to go
to a nearby town to get anything at all. Also, of course,
absolutely no jobs to be had either.

But has it ever occurred to anyone besides me that it may
not be all that desirable to be living in large cities and
metros when the good life can be had for pennies on the
dollar provided you don't have to live in an ant hill
overflowing with your fellow creatures.

I have always been able to live in small towns and other
sparsely populated places because I live in my own mind for
the most part. Therefore, the only reason for living in a
city is to gain a livelihood. But if you already have a
livelihood, then it seems you could live just about anywhere
and not have to pay exorbitant rents for just a place to
hang your hat.

The former dictator of Iraq ended up living in a hole in the
ground. Provided we are not reduced to that, I think we can
all surely do better than pay $420. a month for a miserable
room in a miserable city in southern Ontario. But will
Vancouver be any better, that is the question? I doubt it.
If we can arrange it, we should be thinking about small
towns in Iowa and North Dakota where the good life can be
had on the cheap.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. Back in the 1960's when I was living in New York City, I
literally spent an entire year (in my spare time)
looking for a place to hang my hat. While I was looking,
I had a rather large furnished room in Brooklyn Heights
at $90. a month which I thought was exorbitant. I
finally got a very nice apartment connected with the
college where I was employed at $75. a month. There is
no one on this earth who hates high rents more than I
do. Trust me on this!

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... Tom, if you can think back to the 1950's that is
> > where I have been at my entire life. Consequently, I
> > have been going through my life feeling that everyone is
> > constantly trying to rob me. Only the 1950's prices seem
> > right to me. Any prices beyond those prices that
> > prevailed then seem like nothing but highway robbery.
> > Consequently, I have been at war with society all of my
> > life....
>
> Ed,
>
> Here is a website for you: <http://data.bls.gov/cgi-
> bin/cpicalc.pl>. Your 1950 dollar is worth $7.68 now.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Damn! That is an interesting web site for sure, but it is
too depressing to stay on it for long. I now realize I
should double and triple the rents I am asking for my
commercial buildings that I own, but if I did that the
buildings would be empty and I would get no rents at all. In
the meantime the property taxes go on forever and always
increasing every single year. Small town commercial real
estate is the pits. Take it from me. You will just get
poorer and poorer and you will end up on welfare if you live
too long. The kind of web sites you show me make me want to
die and get off of this confounded expensive earth.

I believe it was the Harvard economist Galbraith who thought
that inflation was nothing but robbery committed on society
by crooks (the biggest crook of all being the government). I
think he may have been right about that.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have not been on a Highway (on a bicycle) for almost 30
> years and although

Josh, contact adventurecycling.org for maps and bike touring
information. They have a few trans american bike routes
where the planning and traffic problems have already been
considered and solved for you.

Brad vision R-42 uss swb I love hills, hills make me strong

2 years ago, I thought doing a circle ride around Bradley
International airport would be fun, about 15 miles, maybe...
2 of the 4 sides are rural, the 3rd side is local access (4
lanes), the 4th would be determined when I got there.. never
made it. On the local access road, no one expected to see a
bicycle there, and when they did, they did not want me there
(it was "get the hell out of my way and go back where you
belong"). No consideration at all, everyone was speeding, no
shoulder to speak of, lots of horn blowing..... I finally
just turned around and went back. It was definitely unsafe.
While I had every legal right to be there, sanity (on my
part) prevailed...... I'd do the back side of the airport
again, as it is a neat ride with planes landing and taking
off, but not the local access part... no way.

Arne

=====================

Thanx I added this to my list of folks to check out.
Yesterday I hired a welder into bents to build my trailer
and next week I get started on the tandem plans. Nice when
it all starts to come together like this...just a bit slower
than I planned.

Joshua
*****
"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I have not been on a Highway (on a bicycle) for almost
> > 30 years and
although

> Josh, contact adventurecycling.org for maps and bike
> touring information. They have a few trans american bike
> routes where the planning and traffic problems have
> already been considered and solved for you.
>
> Brad vision R-42 uss swb I love hills, hills make me
> strong

Hi

Vancouver is not my final destination...it just gets a bit
wet going further west. The plan was to settle on Vancouver
Island and form a bent co-op building (trikes, lwbs and
trailers). Vancouver Island is Canada's version of Oregon
when it comes to bents.

Joshua
*****

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... I think we can all surely do better than pay $420. a
> month for a miserable room in a miserable city [Toronto]
> in southern Ontario....

I strongly suspect that $420 CAN/month would buy a decent
house in Toronto, Iowa with money left over to buy a
recumbent trike to ride on the crushed rock surfaced streets
(a few are paved).

Sorry Tom I am using USD not CAD My Studio apt is 190 sq.
feet at $800. USD with a 2 year waiting list to get
it. Some of the apts in my building are priced $1400-
$1600.00 ($120.00 parking not included). These prices
are NOT considered high in my area.

EVSolutions wrote:

> Sorry Tom I am using USD not CAD My Studio apt is 190 sq.
> feet at $800. USD with a 2 year waiting list to get
> it....

Three years ago I was renting an apartment approximately
that size in Champaign, IL (about 4 blocks from north
campus) for $270 US/month.

"EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Hi
>
> Vancouver is not my final destination...it just gets a bit
> wet going further west. The plan was to settle on
> Vancouver Island and form a bent co-op building (trikes,
> lwbs and trailers). Vancouver Island is Canada's version
> of Oregon when it comes to bents.
>
> Joshua
> *****

You will die of terminal sogginess there on Vancouver
Island. If you plan to ride your recumbents there you will
also become an expert on fenders.

A good person for you to check with once you get out there
and get settled would be Robert Bryant of RCN who is based
at Port Townsend, just across from Victoria.

Best wishes in your new venture and may you arrive there
without incident.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota