Hiit Cycling Vs Burpees

Vickeree

Mar 11, 2015
No.

The best exercise for cycling is .... cycling. You not only need to train your heart and lungs, but also the neuromuscular coordination unique to bicycling. Cross training is good for general fitness and will work on areas that are neglected by bicycling; however, an hour of intense cycling training will produce far better results on the bike than an hour doing something else. This why some would say that a time limited cyclist is wasting time by doing other exercises. Bicycling is time efficient.

The same is true in other sports. Swim to become a better swimmer, run to become a better runner, etc.

A basic stationary trainer is cheap and with one you can have a very effective indoor workout on your bicycle.

Good point! I had the same experience with my running. I tried skipping the long runs and incorporated short crossfit type high intensity exercises instead. I thought I was gonna crush it in the following event I registered in but it was't long before I started having cramps and my legs felt very heavy. Oh well lesson learned... to run long distance, you must run long distance... to be able to bike a lot, you must bike a lot :)

God, I hate burpees with a passion. That's what I think.

Seriously, yeah, I guess if you want to eat roast goose, you go goose hunting on a pond, not stand out in a meadow shooting at pheasants.

Vickeree said:
For cyclist who can't go outside to train for some reason, burpees are a good way to do as an alternative for your hiit sessions especially if you have limited space. And according to this study http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Citation/2014/11000/Comparison_of_Responses_to_Two_High_Intensity.3.aspx burpees were rated easier according to the perceived effort ( at least in beginners)? but provides the same cardiovascular benefit... what do you guys think?
Response to any exercise is determined by genetics. That makes every paper on response that does not correct for genetic differences wrong.

I am of the belief that getting your heart rate up is more important than how you get it up. Cycling, running, or what ever will produce about the same cardio benefit. Strength is a bit different. Endurance is more difference.