Hill bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mseries, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    I have noticed a few posts in here lately containing references to Hill Bikes. What are these ?
    Special ultra light machines for riding on hilly routes ? bikes designed in the spirit of
    Hank/Benny/Harry Hill ? But seriously I'd like to know what they are

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have noticed a few posts in here lately containing references to Hill Bikes. What are these ?
    > Special ultra light machines for riding on hilly routes ? bikes designed in the spirit of
    > Hank/Benny/Harry Hill ? But seriously I'd like to know what they are

    No, me being cussed. The highest point I've ridden a bike to is only about a thousand metres, and as
    far as I'm concerned that's a hill, not a mountain. I think the practice of calling bikes we ride
    through woodlands and across rocky hillsides 'mountain' bikes is silly and verging on the boastful
    and peurile. No-one (or very few people) cycle on mountains in Britain for the good and simple
    reason that there are no (or very few, depending on your definition) mountains to cycle on.

    There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of bytes. Any opinion or meaning
    you find in it is your own creation.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > I have noticed a few posts in here lately containing references to Hill Bikes. What are these ?
    > Special ultra light machines for riding on hilly routes ? bikes designed in the spirit of
    > Hank/Benny/Harry Hill ? But seriously I'd like to know what they are

    I've not heard of "hill bikes". There are "downhill" bikes - those heavy duty MTBs designed for
    going down impossible tracks at 100mph, and pro racers and rich enthusisasts sometimes have
    "climbing bikes" - versions of road bikes which are super light* with lower gears, etc, but "hill
    bikes" are new to me too.

    * top tips: www.topica.com/lists/gramhead (warning: some of these people go to absurd extremes and
    expense... quite funny at times).

    ~PB