Hill Climb in Malvern

Chris Eilbeck

Guest
The local bike club managed to get the council to close Church St in
Malvern today and hold a time trial up the hill. It was a pretty good
event overall. Not sure how many people entered, must have been
40-50. We even had a visit from Elgar riding a very proper Safety
Bicycle. The funny thing was that a guy just happened to be passing
while on a training ride from Brum, thought he'd enter and won it by a
second or so. There were folk on many different bikes entering from
proper racing-snake roadies to serious looking people on full-suss
MTBs, to kids on cheap MTBs to a couple of young lads on BMXs who were
well up in the top 5, if not 2nd and 3rd places. I didn't enter, I'd
have needed to stop for coffee and cakes half way up the hill ;o)

It was great to see the middle of town closed to cars (despite the
whinging of a couple of middle-aged women about people and their
stupid bikes). I hope it happens again next year.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
> The funny thing was that a guy just happened to be passing
> while on a training ride from Brum, thought he'd enter and won it by a
> second or so.

The value of having warmed up properly?

--
not me guv