Hill Climb Profiles

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by GearGrinder, May 15, 2003.

1. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

thought it would be interesting to see the climbs every one does, so lets see them..

Tags:

2. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

heres a ride with the "Belthorpe" Climb wich is 3.3k at 9.8% there is a little bit of climbing before that but ists not that steep. This climb at switchbacks of 20% and gradients of 15%+ constantly near the top. Average speed is around 20 minutes of 11kph.

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

that looks like abit of a wall :D

4. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

I love pain!! :)
    Cadence was 46 rpm :). i have a 21

5. Unregistered

Unregistered New Member

Here's one you'd enjoy GG - Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, taking in Arthur's Seat - 3km at 8.2%, first 2.2km at 9.5% ;)

6. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

How do you guys get the distance at the bottom of the graph, mine all have time :(

7. rek

rek New Member

You guys are insane(ly good). I blow up after less than a kilometre on that sort of hill, this on a 39x25..

In version 4 of PPP there is a toolbar button that lets you change the X axis from time to distance.

8. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

You really gave that a push unregistered, 186 average is very high. My top average for another climb was 185 and thats realy suffering bad. I like the look of that climb, looks like the speed was not bad, is it a hot mix road?.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered New Member

Yep, that was a maximum effort, nearly fell off the bike at the top. Actually hit MHR about 750m into the climb and just suffered the rest of the way up. I'm not usually that psycho but this was a special case.

I'm no connoiseur of road surfaces but it's fairly smooth. You tend to notice the gradient rather than the road itself! Average speed was a bit over 15kph.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered New Member

Thanks rek - but if you want to see truly insane(ly good) climbers, have a look at some of the efforts on www.cycle2max.com !

11. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

[email protected]%, best time so far 17 min 20. (19.4kph) though i think i can now do a 16minute time. Not so hard as the last climb but its hard if you RACE up it. Which i always try to do :)

12. Unregistered

Unregistered New Member

GG, that one looks quite similar to our well known "1 in 20" climb in the Dandenongs. From memory about 6.8km at 4.8%. I haven't got a profile on it but perhaps someone else can post one. Some of the times up the 1 in 20 listed on www.cycle2max.com are pretty impressive - sub 15 mins or average speeds of over 27kph.

13. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Interesting thread guys! What monitors are you using to get all this info?

14. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

polar hrm s710

15. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Polar 710/720 does all this and more :)

16. Kristian

Kristian New Member

Are you guys getting your gradient info by selecting the climb and looking at selection info? I do this with hills on the ppp4 software and the readings seem low. I have climbed Aurthers seat and it is no steeper than other climbs ive done, that my s710i tells me are only 5%ish. Is my watch under estimating or are you quoting gradients from another source?

17. Unregistered

Unregistered New Member

The gradients shown by the ppp4 software seem OK to me, and easy enough to check using the formula
    (Finishing Altitude - Starting Altitude)/Distance * 100%
    They also seem to line up with data from other sources like www.cycle2max.com.

Arthur's Seat (from the Dromana side) feels quite a bit steeper to me than many of the other climbs around Melbourne or in the Victorian Alps (eg Donna Buang ~7% to Cement Creek, less after that; Tawonga Gap ~6%; Buffalo ~5%).

Which "other climbs" are you talking about Kristian?

18. Blimp

Blimp New Member

start point
    Cethana Bridge, stationary start
    the route
    The steepest sustained climb in Tasmania on a sealed road. A very steep climb from a river gorge to a mountain plateau, with numerous switchbacks with a 15km/h limit.
    end point
    Moina shop

total distance (km) 5.2

total ascent (m) 582
    starting altitude (m) 221
    finishing altitude (m) 803
    average gradient (%) 11.54
    surface type: bitumen

19. GearGrinder

GearGrinder New Member

i cant try that one :) sounds great though, its a bit far from QLD
    That must be the steepest in tasy because my dad went on holiday there and said that the climbs where very easy but some where longish. (All the locals where saying the climbs where STEEP :) )

All climbs around here are steep. Have you got a pic of that climbs profile? lets see some more profiles. Ps whats your average speed for that climb?

PS: Iv set a new speed for that "Bellthorp climb" 12.2 KPH, 16minutes 7. Actually if you take the last 100 meters of the profile its 10.5 %

Hey unregistered do you think the Cycle2Max power estimation is acturate? none of the climbs i do have a Steady gradient. I would think that would make the power estimation formuala inacurate?

20. mnetherc

mnetherc New Member

Does anyone have any climb/altitude profiles for any Sydney climbs they might be able to post?
    eg
    Akuna Bay
    Bobbin Head
    Hawkesbury/Cowan
    Mt White
    Mooney Mooney

I regularly ride these climbs and have always wondered what % grade they are. Its impossible to even guess without having an s720 or similiar...

Thanks!