Hill Climb Profiles

heres a ride with the "Belthorpe" Climb wich is 3.3k at 9.8% there is a little bit of climbing before that but ists not that steep. This climb at switchbacks of 20% and gradients of 15%+ constantly near the top. Average speed is around 20 minutes of 11kph.

Here's one you'd enjoy GG - Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, taking in Arthur's Seat - 3km at 8.2%, first 2.2km at 9.5% ;)

How do you guys get the distance at the bottom of the graph, mine all have time :(

You guys are insane(ly good). I blow up after less than a kilometre on that sort of hill, this on a 39x25..

In version 4 of PPP there is a toolbar button that lets you change the X axis from time to distance.

Originally posted by Unregistered
Here's one you'd enjoy GG - Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, taking in Arthur's Seat - 3km at 8.2%, first 2.2km at 9.5% ;)
You really gave that a push unregistered, 186 average is very high. My top average for another climb was 185 and thats realy suffering bad. I like the look of that climb, looks like the speed was not bad, is it a hot mix road?.

You really gave that a push unregistered, 186 average is very high
Yep, that was a maximum effort, nearly fell off the bike at the top. Actually hit MHR about 750m into the climb and just suffered the rest of the way up. I'm not usually that psycho but this was a special case.

is it a hot mix road?.
I'm no connoiseur of road surfaces but it's fairly smooth. You tend to notice the gradient rather than the road itself! Average speed was a bit over 15kph.

[email protected]%, best time so far 17 min 20. (19.4kph) though i think i can now do a 16minute time. Not so hard as the last climb but its hard if you RACE up it. Which i always try to do :)

GG, that one looks quite similar to our well known "1 in 20" climb in the Dandenongs. From memory about 6.8km at 4.8%. I haven't got a profile on it but perhaps someone else can post one. Some of the times up the 1 in 20 listed on www.cycle2max.com are pretty impressive - sub 15 mins or average speeds of over 27kph.

Originally posted by Lazy legs
Interesting thread guys! What monitors are you using to get all this info?

Polar 710/720 does all this and more :)

Are you guys getting your gradient info by selecting the climb and looking at selection info? I do this with hills on the ppp4 software and the readings seem low. I have climbed Aurthers seat and it is no steeper than other climbs ive done, that my s710i tells me are only 5%ish. Is my watch under estimating or are you quoting gradients from another source?

Originally posted by Kristian
Are you guys getting your gradient info by selecting the climb and looking at selection info? I do this with hills on the ppp4 software and the readings seem low.

The gradients shown by the ppp4 software seem OK to me, and easy enough to check using the formula
(Finishing Altitude - Starting Altitude)/Distance * 100%
They also seem to line up with data from other sources like www.cycle2max.com.

Originally posted by Kristian
I have climbed Aurthers seat and it is no steeper than other climbs ive done, that my s710i tells me are only 5%ish. Is my watch under estimating or are you quoting gradients from another source?

Arthur's Seat (from the Dromana side) feels quite a bit steeper to me than many of the other climbs around Melbourne or in the Victorian Alps (eg Donna Buang ~7% to Cement Creek, less after that; Tawonga Gap ~6%; Buffalo ~5%).

Which "other climbs" are you talking about Kristian?

start point
Cethana Bridge, stationary start
the route
The steepest sustained climb in Tasmania on a sealed road. A very steep climb from a river gorge to a mountain plateau, with numerous switchbacks with a 15km/h limit.
end point
Moina shop

total distance (km) 5.2

total ascent (m) 582
starting altitude (m) 221
finishing altitude (m) 803
average gradient (%) 11.54
surface type: bitumen

i cant try that one :) sounds great though, its a bit far from QLD
That must be the steepest in tasy because my dad went on holiday there and said that the climbs where very easy but some where longish. (All the locals where saying the climbs where STEEP :) )

All climbs around here are steep. Have you got a pic of that climbs profile? lets see some more profiles. Ps whats your average speed for that climb?

PS: Iv set a new speed for that "Bellthorp climb" 12.2 KPH, 16minutes 7. Actually if you take the last 100 meters of the profile its 10.5 %

Hey unregistered do you think the Cycle2Max power estimation is acturate? none of the climbs i do have a Steady gradient. I would think that would make the power estimation formuala inacurate?

Does anyone have any climb/altitude profiles for any Sydney climbs they might be able to post?
eg
Akuna Bay
Bobbin Head
Hawkesbury/Cowan
Mt White
Mooney Mooney

I regularly ride these climbs and have always wondered what % grade they are. Its impossible to even guess without having an s720 or similiar...

Thanks!