Hill Climbing & Gear Shifting

Originally Posted by alfeng

dhk2, you are kidding, right?
  • On BOTH counts ...
    But, particularly the second where you suggest that the connection, or lack of, between the shifter, the cable, and the rear derailleur ....
    UNLESS your set up is so sloppy (e.g., poorly maintained cables-and-housing) that the release of the rear derailleur mechanism is delayed!!!

You do understand that on a normal (non-Rapid Rise) derailleur that it is the derailleur's SPRING which moves the derailleur cage from the larger Cogs to the smaller Cogs, don't you?

• FYI. Rapid Rise (reverse-pull) rear derailleurs are in the neutral position when the derailleur is on the largest Cog & the shifter is used to move the derailleur to the smaller Cogs.
    Shimano doesn't call their reverse-pull rear derailleurs "Rapid Rise" just to humor me AND one can readily infer that the right-to-left (when viewed from the rear of the bike) motion is more rapid (faster!!!) than their STI shifters can typically-and/or-consistently facilitate.

Again, both YOU & swampy1970 are inverting the derailleur's direction described by the term ...
  • and, AyeYo is correctly interpreting the term (whether or not one wants to believe that "dwell" exists and/or has a negative-or-positive influence on the shifting).

The only thing I think that was really inverted here was you when your mother dropped you just after birth... :p j/k

The only reason I can think that people that there is dwell is they don't understand that the gear doesn't change until after the smaller inner lever is released, not when the "click" occurs. Even with using a bastardized setup of '06 XTR rear mech, Dura Ace 7900 levers, 7900 chain and IRD 10 Speed Cassette I don't experience any delays. I press that little lever, hear the click and when I let go the gear is changed. In the saddle, out of the saddle, easy pedaling on giving it some greif on the hills... it always changes smoothly and quickly.

When the setup is all Dura Ace 7900 (brifter, rear mech, chain and cassette) the universe becomes one and even Tullio smiles.

Volnix, that Romanian Elf looks like a chick that was standing on a street corner in San Francisco... :p As most of the guys there are gay, your Campy reference is spot on. Camp... very much so. ;)

Originally Posted by swampy1970
Volnix, that Romanian Elf looks like a chick that was standing on a street corner in San Francisco... :p As most of the guys there are gay, your Campy reference is spot on. Camp... very much so. ;)

I don't know how tell you this Swampy, so there it goes... She is not an Elf!
big-smile.png

It's probably a coincidence that Campy, which is Italian, a country that is full of hookers, opened a manufacturing unit in Romania, a country which is also full of hookers.
big-smile.png
Probably just a coincidence.

Unless they are co-branding with "Madam Ursula's House of Sensations" and are handling the logistics together...

Truck goes to Romania with Olive oil and Tomatoes, comes back with Shifters and Hookers.
big-smile.png

Quote by Swami:
"Nabali loves Campagnolo so much that he decided not to use one single piece of shitmaNO **** on his bike"

The Truth.

Nibali hated Campag EPS so much he reverted back to using the old stuff and didn't even trust Campag brake and gear cables...

The Specialized crank comes with an interchangable spider (like the Cannondale crank) but even with that, it's an SRM spider, it's a standard SRM option. Custom? Pah! http://www.srm.de/products/srm-powermeter/s-works-road/
10-IMG_1373.jpg
06-IMG_1324.jpg
05-IMG_1319.jpg
A combination of that outer casing, outer cable ends and the "flexible" under bartape silver brake cable screams Jagwire Pro cables. That the above bike has a number on it suggests it was actually ridden.

'What' Jagwire?

I didn't see Jag listed as a sponsor on Astana's website. They probably found it rolling around under the seat of the Gay Pride Miata.

Keeping the Campy clean:

"Custom? Pah!"

Pah? Pah? What kind of Engrish is "Pah"?

Weird...all those standard SRM S-Works cranks are pictured with S-Works rings.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
'What' Jagwire?

I didn't see Jag listed as a sponsor on Astana's website. They probably found it rolling around under the seat of the Gay Pride Miata.

Keeping the Campy clean:

"Custom? Pah!"

Pah? Pah? What kind of Engrish is "Pah"?

Weird...all those standard SRM S-Works cranks are pictured with S-Works rings.
Weird that when you click on that link to the SRM site and the click on Standard 135, you get a pic of on Astana team bike with Campagnolo rings.

The rings look like the ones that FSA put on their $90 chainsets.

Cables...

http://jagwire.com/products/v/road_elite_link_brake

Just like the ones on Nibblyballs bike above...

In other news. Movistar hate Campag brakes so much that they got Canyon to fit the Shimano Dura Ace direct mount brakes to their Aeroad frames:

Dura Ace on a Campag equipped bike. Go on Bob, unleash your anger.

... actually, it's more the fact that Campag are still stuck in the 1920's and haven't released a direct mount version yet.

"This new crank set is manufactured exclusively for SRM, by Campagnolo in their Vincenza factory."

Not made by Romanian Elves.

Who needs shitmaNO? Only dweebs, freds and tourons.

Coming soon to a Campy dealer near you. Meh...disco brakes...direct mount brakes. Standard caliper brakes work just fine.

I find your lack of faith...

0.jpg

"This new crank set is manufactured exclusively for SRM, by Campagnolo in their Vincenza factory."

Not made by Romanian Elves.

Who needs shitmaNO? Only dweebs, freds and tourons.

Coming soon to a Campy dealer near you. Meh...disco brakes...direct mount brakes. Standard caliper brakes work just fine.

I find your lack of faith...

0.jpg
Campag manufacture the spider for the Campagnolo SRM crank - not the afore mentioned Specialized crank with 135bcd spider.

That direct mount brake is a Colnago unit on Pierre Rolands bike - not a Campag unit. It looks like a hamfisted mechanic with Campag tools managed to mangle the top of those torx bolts. A 500 piece Campag toolkit and still mangles components.

"One of the most striking features of the V1-R is the adoption of a new standard for the braking system. The choice was made to use direct mount brakes, first developed by Shimano for the new Dura-Ace. The main advantage of this brake is a better integration, both structural and aerodynamic, with the frame and fork. In terms of performance, this translates into a system that is stiffer (and therefore more powerful), lighter, and with cleaner aesthetics. "

http://colnago.com/v1r-brake-2/?lang=en

Funny how these Campag equipped riders seem unable to field a full Campag groupset... You don't see Contador putting Campag bits on his SRAM equipped bike of Froome putting SRAM or Campag on his Dura Ace'd Pinarello.

Quote by Swami:
"Campag manufacture the spider for the Campagnolo SRM crank - not the afore mentioned Specialized crank with 135bcd spider."

No ****..

"That direct mount brake is a Colnago unit on Pierre Rolands bike - not a Campag unit."

Uh...again...no ****. They'll buy it, develop it, refine it, brand it and sell it just like they're doing with disco brakes. Welcome the 21st Century.

Funny that Froome rides an Eyetalian frame on Eyetalian tires. I figure that's classy enough to drag even 10pounds of shitmaNO boat anchor to the finish line.

Ah, so your point was that Camapgnolo still make one piece of equipement in Italy... ... I guess they have to use up the final pieces of aluminum in the CNC machine that's hooked upto their Comadore PET somehow.

Quote by Swami:
"Ah, so your point was that Camapgnolo still make one piece of equipement in Italy..."

Yeah. It's still called "The Best".

And that ain't no Commodore. It's a Tandy TRS-80. Sponsored by Radio Shack and EPO. Note the spelling of Commodore. It shows a typical lack of detail and knowledge evidenced by shitmaNO fanboiz.

And that ain't no Commodore. It's a Tandy TRS-80. Sponsored by Radio Shack and EPO. Note the spelling of Commodore. It shows a typical lack of detail and knowledge evidenced by shitmaNO fanboiz.

I was inserting these floppy disks into the drive... The re-assuring clanging sound of the drive copying the 1/16 disk of the latest 20mb PC video game.

You could compress them up to 1.7mb!!! The good quality ones didn't get too many bad sectors, like Shimano shifters breaking before the cable does.

iomega!

Email, forums...
big-smile.png

I still have an Iomega zap disk drive (1gb) at home. Like my Shimano shifters, they still work fine. ;) Maybe the guy that installs and maintains them has a clue. A 500 piece toolkit not required... .... Although my tool chest does contain more than 500 items ;)

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Swami: "Ah, so your point was that Camapgnolo still make one piece of equipement in Italy..." Yeah. It's still called "The Best". And that ain't no Commodore. It's a Tandy TRS-80. Sponsored by Radio Shack and EPO. Note the spelling of Commodore. It shows a typical lack of detail and knowledge evidenced by shitmaNO fanboiz.
Commodore, comadore, commode, Campagnolo - either **** spelling, items that deal with **** or antiquated bike equipment that hasn't innovated since the 1950s that's now overpriced like ****. Campag are still trying to figure out how to make a downtube lever index properly. I know, they would have had that sorted out if they hadn't spent at least half a decade figuring out how to actuate a simple switch/battery/motor circuit for EPS....

Miyata...Miata...true Jap scrap ****.

I guess after a couple of atom bombs detonate overhead shitmaNO's gonna happen.

Nuclear mutants.

When you say "we" - I presume since you're a SRAM user you're referring to other SRAM equipped teams... ... Or are you like those people in South East Asia that are "die hard Manchester United FC supporters" despite not knowing where Manchester is. Besides, don't get too cocky just cause a guy with less than half a Campag groupset won the Tour for once... ;)