Hill Climbs - Stand up? or sit down?

wishes

Oct 21, 2006
Has anyone got any info on whats the better/faster way to climb a hill, lower gears and sitting down or higher gear standing up?
I can get up a hill faster standing but theres a lot more effort and im panting at the end.
Do i keep training to do long haul standing for large hills? or do i practice sitting down and trying to get the speed up?

If you are looking at endurance and trying be more efficient learn to "Spin" especially if you are doing alot of longer climbs

Speed and stamina will increase gradually with more riding/climbing you do.

- Save your energy and speed for going downhill.
- Plan ahead build your momentum when approaching the hill and try predict the right gear to use you may stall if you suddenly have to jump 2 to 3 gears.
- If you riding a dualie you are probably better sitting pedalling while standing causes alot of bobbing while climbing unless you have lock out.
- Stand if you can comfortably make it up to the top (mostly small hills)
- Riding up technical terrain and erroded trails you'll probably spend most the time out of your seat it's usually a balance of both.

Try not to measure your speed/time purely on your climbs, measure over the whole ride/track. I try to ride to be efficient over the distance I am riding rather than slug it out up all the hills at the beggining and limp home.

At some point you will find the balance between sitting and standing when climbing. Train Train and more training.

Ahh much help!
Yeahb thats pretty much what im aiming for. I just wasnt sure if thats what i SHOULD be aiming for :)

Currently for smaller hills ill stand, longer harder ones ill do a combo or just sit (depending on the hill)

With me it depends on the hill - I tend to be one of those cyclists that likes to power up a hill in a big gear but I need to work on sitting down because sometimes there's a hill thats very steep and very long and riding a 53-19 is just not going to get me to the top.

So yes, it depends on the hill :D

wishes said:
Has anyone got any info on whats the better/faster way to climb a hill, lower gears and sitting down or higher gear standing up?
wishes said:
I can get up a hill faster standing but theres a lot more effort and im panting at the end.

Do i keep training to do long haul standing for large hills? or do i practice sitting down and trying to get the speed up?

Commit some days to sit down on all the hills you do.

As for which its better it depends. Higher intensities or steep short hills standing can be better. as for normal grade, long hills are more for sitting.

You use less energy sitting like you said. Unless the pace is fast or if the grade is steep. Then you may spend more energy sitting.

Don't forget there's always that third options... Walk! :D

But on a serious note, I wonder what's more energy efficient and faster on a steep hill. To ride up on an appropriate gear or run up pushing your bike? :confused:

I am so bad at climbing.

I had to get off and walk when my speed fell to 5 km/h. Walking up on cleated shoes are just as tiring as trying to turn the pedals.

I stay seated on most climbs, but thats because its all I can do.

Is more hill climbing the only way to get better at it?

Well, there are MTB shoes/cleats. Isn't that how cyclocross people do it?

sogood said:
Don't forget there's always that third options... Walk! :D

But on a serious note, I wonder what's more energy efficient and faster on a steep hill. To ride up on an appropriate gear or run up pushing your bike? :confused:
Walking sucks.
On Technical climbs where the track is uneven standing is about the only option apart from walking. For me sudden switching from spinning/pedalling to running often causes cramps :eek:. On more even trails seated often better if on a dualie as standing can cause bobbing = drop in efficiency unless one has lockout.

Rockslayer said:
Walking sucks.
On Technical climbs where the track is uneven standing is about the only option apart from walking. For me sudden switching from spinning/pedalling to running often causes cramps :eek:. On more even trails seated often better if on a dualie as standing can cause bobbing = drop in efficiency unless one has lockout.
I think we are talking about road biking, no?

Fastguppy said:
some of it applies for hills in general..
Agreed. However, uneven ground and dualie/suspension really aren't applicable for road bikes.

sogood said:
Agreed. However, uneven ground and dualie/suspension really aren't applicable for road bikes.
Totally! :)

I wasn't too sure either I geuss "Mountain bikes" heading for this thread can cover road and offroad MTB riders as it doesn't really say Mountain biking. :D

Yeah walking in cleated shoes would be an ass lol.
I road race rather than MTB, though both are cool :)

Thanks everyone for advice, except for you who suggest that 'walk' thing :p

wishes said:
Yeah walking in cleated shoes would be an ass lol.
I road race rather than MTB, though both are cool :)

Thanks everyone for advice, except for you who suggest that 'walk' thing :p
That's why I ride with SPD and MTB shoes, all in anticipation of that bad hill. Fortunately, haven't come across one yet... But I think I should be able to run with mine. :D

thomas_cho said:
Is more hill climbing the only way to get better at it?
yep. a saying among too-serious riders is "train doing what you suck at doing".

and remember: LeMond said, "it never gets easier, you just go faster."

Hi Wishes, sitting down is more efficient than standing up, however when you stand up you use more muscles including your back and triceps.

On big hills such as the road upto the top of Mt Eden or the road out of Phia, I'd defenently be sitting down, where on bumps such as the intersection of Sandringham rd and Mt Albert rd, I'd hold my gear stand up and power over.

Congratulations on your weight loss.

PS sogood was just joking :) and he's going to have to eat his words on the 4th of March.

mikesbytes said:
PS sogood was just joking :) and he's going to have to eat his words on the 4th of March.
As I said, I am fully prepared to walk up at 7km/h. But I prefer to know my limits and avoid hills I can't tackle. :p

I think I am getting better at hill climbing. I recently tried climbing black mountain, and Mount Ainslie in Canberra.

I laboured up both pedaling. Didnt walk. I thought I did well until a couple of roadies came along and did repeats!

Tried to pedal a bit standing up, but the effort was too much, had to sit back down to keep from going into the red zone. I might start trying to stand for the last 100m ...

mikesbytes said:
On big hills such as the road upto the top of Mt Eden or the road out of Phia, I'd defenently be sitting down, where on bumps such as the intersection of Sandringham rd and Mt Albert rd, I'd hold my gear stand up and power over.

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Well after doing a SUB race yesterday, im very glad ive been practicing the hills, both standing and sitting.
It was full of lots of little hills - perfect for standing up on. Im sore today but i managed to stick in the first group the entire way (though the backs of my thighs are a little sore now).

Thanks re the weight loss - as of today ive lost 54kg :D

Oh yeah, and i got to meet Sarah Ulmer and do a photo op with her :D