Hill Climbs - Stand up? or sit down?

wishes said:
Well after doing a SUB race yesterday, im very glad ive been practicing the hills, both standing and sitting.
It was full of lots of little hills - perfect for standing up on. Im sore today but i managed to stick in the first group the entire way (though the backs of my thighs are a little sore now).

Thanks re the weight loss - as of today ive lost 54kg :D

Oh yeah, and i got to meet Sarah Ulmer and do a photo op with her :D
Twins !

Where were your riding, I can't quite make it out from the pic ?

mikesbytes said:
Twins !

Where were your riding, I can't quite make it out from the pic ?
Clevedon to Maratai (15km) and back, twice (65km).

Very nice ride i must admit as well :)

I find sitting and easing up on a gear the most functional,walking is never a option it sucks and i swear its more tiering.
Standing and climbing on certain sections gets the circulation flowing and if my strenth on the day allows it i'll try and climb out of the saddle for a while then drop to a smaller chainring and spin,seated up the rest of the hill.
Personally a indication of my level of fitness is when i alternate subconscioslly between the two.:cool:

HowardSteele said:
I find sitting and easing up on a gear the most functional,walking is never a option it sucks and i swear its more tiering.
Standing and climbing on certain sections gets the circulation flowing and if my strenth on the day allows it i'll try and climb out of the saddle for a while then drop to a smaller chainring and spin,seated up the rest of the hill.
Personally a indication of my level of fitness is when i alternate subconscioslly between the two.:cool:

If you need maximum power than the only real option is to get out of the saddle. I live at the top of a hill thats about 20% for a block, and to get up my driveway I need to lean back while out of the saddle. :)
Especially with salt and sand on it in the winter... In a race situation I try to go up as many short and long climbs in the saddle because of efficiency. Often the only reason I stand is to stretch out. In training I get out of the saddle on recovery rides to use my weight to lean on the pedals to push me up steep hills around my house without raising my hr. And of course on a long climbs I alternate but mostly sit. If I'm about to get dropped I'm usually sitting. If your popping the problem is, if you get out of the saddle your cadence drops and you slow down big time.

My younger brother (a master athlete) taught me how to ride:
maintain same rpm as much as possible
so it's ok to stand or sit or whatever, but try to go the same speed in the same gear on the parts of the hill which are of the same steepness.
Also, btw when climbing a monster hill avoid trying to go for speed; concentrate on technique instead.

Sincerely,

Jacob

Hey Wishes, I found your photo

Sarah_Ulmer.jpg

Haha OMG! we must be twins!! :D

I need to get a pic of me on my bike one of these days, im less shy of the camera now than i was 60kg ago *G*

I recall one of my first races, and i was sitting at the start, and all i could think of was 'oh my god, wonder what the person behind me is thinking looking at my huge rear end!'
Now its more along the lines of 'im gonna whip that guy ... and that one ... and that one over there .. oh yeah!'

wishes said:
Haha OMG! we must be twins!! :D

I need to get a pic of me on my bike one of these days, im less shy of the camera now than i was 60kg ago *G*

I recall one of my first races, and i was sitting at the start, and all i could think of was 'oh my god, wonder what the person behind me is thinking looking at my huge rear end!'
Now its more along the lines of 'im gonna whip that guy ... and that one ... and that one over there .. oh yeah!'
U got it wrong, I'm thinking how big that bum is in front of me, I'm thinking about how much wind break I'm going to get, the bigger the other riders, the easier it is for you.

Amazingly smooth legs, perhaps I should wax mine too.

mikesbytes said:
U got it wrong, I'm thinking how big that bum is in front of me, I'm thinking about how much wind break I'm going to get, the bigger the other riders, the easier it is for you.

Amazingly smooth legs, perhaps I should wax mine too.
Haha yeah well that was the other thing - everyone hides behind me :/
When you said 'Break wind' and 'bum' in the same sentance i get horrid thoughts though.... oh wait it was 'wind break'

Turbo boost :D

wishes said:
When you said 'Break wind' and 'bum' in the same sentance i get horrid thoughts though.... oh wait it was 'wind break'
Thats why you shouldn't follow me

oaks99 said:
what do you mean by spinning :confused:

oak
There's a bit of a blurb Here , pretty much it is using lower gears and less resistance (higher RPM's) when pedalling good for grades extending over a longer distances or multiple hills as apposed to crunching it up in a higher gear and going lactic in the legs half way up. :eek:

I always used to push a huge gear and stand up when cycling up hills. I'd be seeing stars by the time I reached the top and would almost black out but I found it a lot easier than sitting. I went for a ride yesterday though and for some reason found sitting a lot easier. I now try and sit for as long as possible, slowly working down gear by gear until I hit the lowest one. When I do and I start to slow up even more then I'll shift up two or three and stand to give myself a bit more momentum. Also I find that the furthur forward you lean when standing, the easier it is.

I know everyone is built differently but this method works for me anyway. :)

There is actually a formula for which is better for climbing, sitting or standing.

Here it is

If hight in Inches is greater than weight in Kilos. Stand

If hight is Inches is less than weight in Kilos. Stay seated.

Take your height in Inches. so if you are 6 ft tall, your number is 72.

If your weight in kilos is less then 72 kilos, you can climb efficiantly standing. If your weight is larger than than 72 kilos better to stay seated.

hope this helps

frenchcycling said:
There is actually a formula for which is better for climbing, sitting or standing.

Here it is

If hight in Inches is greater than weight in Kilos. Stand

If hight is Inches is less than weight in Kilos. Stay seated.

Take your height in Inches. so if you are 6 ft tall, your number is 72.

If your weight in kilos is less then 72 kilos, you can climb efficiantly standing. If your weight is larger than than 72 kilos better to stay seated.

hope this helps
Love the way it mixes metric and imperial