Hill Question

CheriMO

Jun 28, 2004
I have a new Bacchetta Strada that I just love. It's my first recumbent and I'm having a great time. It's a good climber but I am having one problem with hills. How do you start if you're on an uphill grade? I can't get going on even the slightest slope. What's the trick? :confused:

I had the same problem on my new Tailwind until I learned to launch in granny gear. I had to learn how to keep the bike stable at low speeds first. The trick is to make the first pedal stroke count and then get your free foot up so the next stroke smoothly follows the first. On the first stroke you should drive your hips and back into the seat. As soon as you get that first turn on the cranks then spin it up. Since I'm quite short the biggest problem I have is getting and keeping my balance foot on the ground securely until I can get the crank positioned for the first stroke. On my commute home I have a stoplight at the top of a hill. If I'm in traffic I sometimes have to stop before the crest. So had had to learn to start on a hill. Relax, use the lowest gear, and you should be able to do it on most moderate hills. Might be a bit wobbly at first but it will come.

'bent Brian

Hi CheriMO,

Bentbrain is right, it's all about practice, I have a SWB Vision R45 USS and I find that at very low speeds I developed a wobble technique steering the bike. This involves moving the steering column left right quickly, almost shaking it. But not big movements, just small ones. It seems to help in the balance department.

Hope it helps.

Regards
Jdkewfi

If you think starting on a hill is tricky, try a gravel driveway. In this case you use a light amount of force when you launch, and you must launch and get the bike mocving straight. If you get too aggresive the rear wheel will just spin, you don't move and then you find yourself laying on your side. Or you launch crooked and then the front wheel skidds and you have no real steering. Again it takes practice.

'bent Brian

Okay, practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!! :) I can do that. I love my new recumbent so much I'm riding it multiple times a day as it is. Why didn't I get one ages ago? It's a blast! :)

CheriMO said:
Okay, practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!! :) I can do that. I love my new recumbent so much I'm riding it multiple times a day as it is. Why didn't I get one ages ago? It's a blast! :)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but for some reason I couldn't get to the forum. There are a couple of severe health risks I think I sould warn you about. The first one is you develop this big face contorting grin. It becomes permanent every time you get on the bike. There is no known cure other than a temporary one that can be affected by riding a road bike. However the grin will quickly return upon getting back on the recumbent. The other health issue is addiction. you crave riding. You want more miles, faster miles. You have to ride! You must ride! There is no cure for this addiction. It is stronger than any narcotic known to man. Even the Betty Ford clinic can't help you. Welcome to the wonderful world of 'bents!

'bent Brian

Yes I already have that grin that splats right on my face as soon as my butt contact the seat of my bike. It's unreal. I'm already doing better on the hills. I can now get started on small ones. I'm already improving!

CheriMO said:
Yes I already have that grin that splats right on my face as soon as my butt contact the seat of my bike. It's unreal. I'm already doing better on the hills. I can now get started on small ones. I'm already improving!

Good Job! Welcome to the wonderful world of 'bents!

'bent Brian

jmm said:
Because wisdom comes with age?

John
Apparently so. That is exatly what I said after getting my first 'bent a couple of months ago: why didn't I do this sooner? Well I guess better late than never, right?

'bent Brian