hill riding

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
i remember walter plankard saying to eddy plankard, if you want to win flanders, you have to ride the bosberg and koppenberg 50 times a day.. i am not sure if he meant this, or he means train hard in the hills.. .if he meant what he said, wheres the recovery? even going slow up hills, your heartrate is elevated. do that daily like he said you're never recovering and will always be tired and never improving...michale boogard rode deep into the tour dr france working for a teammate a few years ago.. he looked great and hes a flatlander, probably only doing 1-2 training camps in the hills. his racing and training are generally on the flats..why was he so good in the hills? how do you get better at climbing hills 1/4 to 1 mile long and steep? after a warm-up, do you ride repeats, hard up ez down and repeat a lot of times? or do you just ride base miles pace over a hilly route? how do you get better at hills? i say 2 days a week, hammer up ez down, but i am not sure..whats the correct way to train to get better on hills?
thanks leanman