Hill Training

Napalm73

Jul 4, 2004
How does everyone train for hills?

I try to tackle as many hills as possible (with a 39/13 gear ratio) and have felt some improvement but I have plenty of improvement to go. I am relatively light and feel I should excell in the mountains.

What hill specific training does anyone recommend?

We had a social ride the other day and although I felt strong going up a climb I got beaten buy a better tactician? Any hints for racing in the mountains?

Thanx,

I had that experience myself. I once came across a swell-headed cyclist who made some sarcastic comment as he overtook me on the flat before a hill. I was in my element because hill-training is something I do lots of and I felt sure I could teach this younger guy a lesson soon as we hit the hill. Effectively that's what happened. Soon as it got really steep this guy started to slow down considerably so I passed him quite easily and he couldn't pass me. Of course, the hill was familiar to me and I knew what specific gear I had to be in at the time. It was kind of frustrating when the cyclist in question managed to recuperate his lead on the flatter part later on, namely because my gears are faulty and I lost speed trying to get the shifter to move the chain when it stuck on a cog. Couldn't get into the higher gears I needed to pick up the pace after the climb.
I presently train in very steep terrain and now do one really intense 4 hour ride once a week. 2 hours involve solid climbing - the steep, long ones suit me best as they push my lungs harder. All my other bike sessions for the rest of the week are moderate but that one hard session is really tough (so tough I once dropped off the bike). I think you can spend ages experimenting with gear ratios. Presently I've dropped using the third ring and settle for my middle chain ring instead. I find the bigger the gear the more breathless I get so bigger gears make the session kind of harder.

Napalm73 said:
How does everyone train for hills?

I try to tackle as many hills as possible (with a 39/13 gear ratio) and have felt some improvement but I have plenty of improvement to go. I am relatively light and feel I should excell in the mountains.

What hill specific training does anyone recommend?

We had a social ride the other day and although I felt strong going up a climb I got beaten buy a better tactician? Any hints for racing in the mountains?

Thanx,

I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but personally, I've found that while going up hill, I can cram in a better work out if I bike up in a middle range gear rather then going all out in the highest ones. You can feel the burn much faster and I've noticed slightly better rusults.

Sure, I agree. What happens is I have 2 bikes. The first is a Carrera Virtuoso that has 2 chain rings but quite a high range cassette. My other bike is a brand new Scott Triple (and worth every penny). My hardest training run is done on the Scott and sometimes I use the smallest chain ring. Mostly, I find the middle ring is my most effective on the Scott since I can still select a lower gear than on my Carrera.
I climb in the way you prefer yourself. Basically I stand up and sprint uphill and hardly ever sit. I tend to use the biggest gear I can use for sprinting uphill comfortably and get a terrific workout. However, on my Virtuoso I use more leg-strength out of necessity and do some power climbing (designed to build my climbing muscles).
I'm not kidding, there's a hill called Star Bank that's way out in the country by a pub. It really is a challenge. You start off with a very steep, winding ascent before you reach a very long climb upwards that's not quite so steep but still pretty challenging (maybe 15 per cent). By the time I'm halfway up I find I'm breathing hard, sweating and grimacing. Then you hit another very steep section that's a bit of a nightmare. First time I did Star Hill I failed at this point and gave up but now I'm able to keep pushing on. Like Lance Armstorng says, climbs build character and grit. Pushing through the point your body cries out to stop is what develops fitness and stamina (as well as power in the legs).
I do this 40 mile routine once a week and find the workout is so hard I don't need to do any other hard sessions. The rest of my cycle rides are lower intensity so my knees get a break. Basically I enjoy the whole experience and feel a million dollars when I get back home and shower off.

Giant_Biker said:
I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but personally, I've found that while going up hill, I can cram in a better work out if I bike up in a middle range gear rather then going all out in the highest ones. You can feel the burn much faster and I've noticed slightly better rusults.