hillclimb training

ecandl

Sep 20, 2006
I am training for a local hillclimb. The last 2 years I have finished in 1:07:11 and 1:08:01. My goal is to get under 1:06. I have been riding the course 1.5 or 2 times per week for 2-3 weeks along with 5x5s up a hill closer to my house once a week. Other rides are recovery or I just don't ride. Last week the climb took me 1:14 but that was not at race pace. At this point, I am close to where I need to be to reach my previous times. The hillclimb is in 3.5 weeks.

My question is, what is the best way to train over these next few weeks to drop 2 minutes?

Thanks.

Assuming that the climbs are at adequate intensity, sounds like you are on the right path. I wouldn't change much. Maybe replacing one of the long ~1 hours climbs with "super L4's" eg. 4-5x10 or 3x15 at bit over race pace or maybe some variation of "Hour-of-Power" (eg. climb slightly under your race pace and every 5 minutes accelerate to for 1-1.5 min). But that really is a matter of taste. In my mind your routine sounds very good!

I was worried about getting enough intensity in and going hard for 1/2 the climb hurt more but it was more fun to really get after it. I will try throwing in a few harder efforts later this week when I make my way up again.

Do you have a power meter? If so, I would aim for ~95% of FTP for one day and the shorter (10-15min) intervals >100%. If you don't have you can still have a pretty good estimate from the times, say if you best is 1:07 then aim for 1:10 for a sustained effort and then you might try to do some calculations for the shorter or just go by feel.

How hard you do the 5x5s?

No powermeter - maybe someday. I just picked up a Garmin 305 so when I figure that out I will be able to use it to "race" myself over the course. All efforts are time/perceived effort based.

I do the 5x5s at an effort that just allows me to complete all 5 at the same perceived effort. I am sure my perception is off after a couple but that is the best without a powermeter. I do have a set distance for the 5x5s and I try to hit my mark by 5 minutes.

Train in such a way (on the bike & at the "dinner" table) that you lose 10 lbs.

It's a climb so timing works very well. For the actual race I think the biggest aid in PM is to make sure you don't blow yourself during the first 5-10 minutes.With the race adrenaline it really takes patience to keep the effort in control. Since you are able to do the training in actual race route, once you get Garmin sorted out you might want to practise that part and see how your times and PE changes with different pacings.

PM is nice of course but I don't think it would make a measurable difference comparing how you pace your 5x5s now.

alfeng said:

3 weeks to race it is somewhat risky but very good point otherwise!

Sorry I know this is not regarding topic but do you have phone number for
Julian Bisset. I have missed placed and know he is involved with this club.

Contact me via private message

garwood3000 said:
Sorry I know this is not regarding topic but do you have phone number for
Julian Bisset. I have missed placed and know he is involved with this club.

Contact Andrew

If you can still edit your post, Andrew, you need to take your phone number off the post. The preferred method for making contacts such as the one about which you ask is to do so via PM's (personal messages). There are PM buttons on thread pages, and you can also PM from the link at the top right of the page.

It'd suck to have some scumbag get hold of that number and monkey with your life.

alfeng said:

I don't think that is the route for me. After a bout with a lower GI bug, I am down to the lowest weight I have been in probably 10 years at 152lbs (normal weight is around 155) and just under 6'1". If I drop 10lbs, I will make Rassmussen look fat.

ecandl said:
I am training for a local hillclimb. The last 2 years I have finished in 1:07:11 and 1:08:01. My goal is to get under 1:06. I have been riding the course 1.5 or 2 times per week for 2-3 weeks along with 5x5s up a hill closer to my house once a week. Other rides are recovery or I just don't ride. Last week the climb took me 1:14 but that was not at race pace. At this point, I am close to where I need to be to reach my previous times. The hillclimb is in 3.5 weeks.

My question is, what is the best way to train over these next few weeks to drop 2 minutes?

Thanks.

Well, it sounds like you're going progressively slower so hoping to improve in just 3 weeks really isn't on the cards. Pray for a tailwind and take a good "dump" before the start.

ecandl said:
I don't think that is the route for me. After a bout with a lower GI bug, I am down to the lowest weight I have been in probably 10 years at 152lbs (normal weight is around 155) and just under 6'1". If I drop 10lbs, I will make Rassmussen look fat.

Dieting should never be in the cards before a race anyway. I generally gain couple of pounds days before a race just to be sure I'm well fueled up. The potential gains in power override any possible gains in W/kg with dieting. It's a little too late to expect any significant improvement in FTP using L3/L4 efforts. It will not be the best use of your limited time.

My advice at this stage is to do short intense rides (L6 intervals) broken up by active recovery days, and fueling up well afterwards. Again, don't worry about slight weight gain. You will be gaining fuel, not fat (big difference!). The idea is to bring about form, which will only come if you're well rested and your glycogen stores are topped off.

swampy1970 said:
Well, it sounds like you're going progressively slower so hoping to improve in just 3 weeks really isn't on the cards. Pray for a tailwind and take a good "dump" before the start.

For a training ride, 1:14 isn't too bad for me. I always can do a little better when the gun goes off. I think my best time ever (non-race) is 1:12.

Now where do I take the "dump"? I guess if I do it in my shorts my net weight won't be affected. This is all so confusing.

alfeng said:

Yep, time to put the bike on a diet and remove all unecessary gear: extra bottles/cages, socks, glasses, gloves, find the smallest water bottle manageable, use the smallest cassette required, etc.

If you wanted to go extreme by removing bar tape, outside chainring, extra sensors, shaving your head, etc then you might trim off a little more.

You're only looking for about 2.5 pounds to drop from 1:07 to 1:06.

Piotr said:
Dieting should never be in the cards before a race anyway. I generally gain couple of pounds days before a race just to be sure I'm well fueled up. The potential gains in power override any possible gains in W/kg with dieting. It's a little too late to expect any significant improvement in FTP using L3/L4 efforts. It will not be the best use of your limited time.

My advice at this stage is to do short intense rides (L6 intervals) broken up by active recovery days, and fueling up well afterwards. Again, don't worry about slight weight gain. You will be gaining fuel, not fat (big difference!). The idea is to bring about form, which will only come if you're well rested and your glycogen stores are topped off.

I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. Gains in W/kg are precisely that, gains. I was implying that Watts will fall as a result of weight loss. It's better to be well fueled up (heavier) and give it your true best, than be lighter on the day only to have a terrible day in the saddle as a result of being under-fueled.

Piotr said:
I guess I didn't phrase that correctly. Gains in W/kg are precisely that, gains. I was implying that Watts will fall as a result of weight loss. It's better to be well fueled up (heavier) and give it your true best, than be lighter on the day only to have a terrible day in the saddle as a result of being under-fueled.

Watts will indeed fall due to weight loss due to dehydration or not eating enough to 'top off' the glyocogen stores but it is possible to lose weight via a reduction in body fat and still hold the same power.

Unless there's a downhill or long flat section you don't need the big ring, front mech, bartape. I've seen people adjust the chain to the minimum possible length too. You also really don't need socks (unless you have ill fitting shoes), mitts or those fancy Oakleys. A skinsuit is lighter than a shorts/shirt combo.

You take the "dump" where most other people do - in the toilet or in the bushes. The startsheet and/or event waiver form can provide a useful alternate function should you be out of toilet paper. Just make sure that you didn't sign your name on the waiver if you use that... unless your name really is C. Rapper. When LeMond crapped his pants in the 86 tour he still went uphill pretty fast - but I really wouldn't advise trying it.

swampy1970 said:
When LeMond crapped his pants in the 86 tour he still went uphill pretty fast - but I really wouldn't advise trying it.

He rode like stink.

swampy1970 said:
Watts will indeed fall due to weight loss due to dehydration or not eating enough to 'top off' the glyocogen stores but it is possible to lose weight via a reduction in body fat and still hold the same power.

I guess I still didn't phrase it correctly. I was referring to the 10 lb 3-week pre-race weight loss program you proposed. ;) I hope it's getting clearer and clearer with each clarification, but ultimately I may just have to be misunderstood. :)