hills and gears

sirguy

Jul 27, 2014
Hello all, Just another "Jim" here. Im a 62 year old getting back into cycling from Philly subs USA. Im riding a Trek DS 8.6 with 30 possible sprocket combos and I'm wondering how many of you still use their lowest ratios for hills after getting in shape. I loved the low gearing when i got the bike (not even a month ago) but its starting to be more fun "Charging" the hill in the midrange gears. Im thinking for simplicity and weight reduction I may at some point go to an 11 speed Cassett and just one Sprocket on the front. Im not that into peddling my ass off going down hill because gravity still seems to give me thrill without any effort of my own.

Hi, I used to want to charge up and stuff before but not anymore haha! I'm about half your age but I like to spin at a faster cadence now. Generally tho, I usually stick to the middle ring. But there was this one time where I was exhausted and had to go up and down a set of hills, I'll tell you, I don't think I would've made it without the small ring up front. So, even if I hardly ever use it, I like that it's there.

It also depends on where I am riding. I'll often use my biggest chainring on pavement and my smaller chainrings on the push roads behind my house. Partly because I do not want to travel as fast on the push roads.

Typically, on a MECHANICAL (bicycle) disc brake caliper, only ONE side/(pad) moves ... I do NOT know what the particulars are of your bike's brake calipers

I have to go up the hills on a low gear level simply because approaching it even on the medium gear level is incredibly difficult for me. And to make sure that I have the stamina an the strenth to actually climbed the hill in the first place.

I like peddling going down hill. I usually set my gears really high and I love it! I love the thrill.

I usually put my mountain bike gears down a notch, mainly mid to low depending on how much energy I have left at that point. I don't always charge up the hills, but it does get fun at times doing so.

This reminds me of my first time using bikes with gears. Well, it was really heavy in the first gear. I had lost a lot of weight in that, hahahaaa. Can you imagine, I was riding my bike for more than 6 months when someone pointed out to me the proper use of the gears. Oh no, it was like I felt so stupid if not downright silly. Now I understand gears particularly that I already know how to drive a car.