Hills In New Jersey

cjcanty

Nov 12, 2003
hey everyone,
I am looking for some good hills to train on this winter in New Jersey. Currently the only long decent hill that I know of is in Rockaway and it is about 7 miles long with probably about a 5% gradient.
If anyone could give me some suggestions on long hills and steep hills in Garden State I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Colin

You can do some exploring on Rte 23 through High Point State Park. We have a NJ Cup Hill Climb that starts north of the park in Port Jervis, follows Rte 23 to the park, and near the top you turn left into the park entrance, take the first right turn out of the parking lot, and follow the narrow one-way road right up to the monument parking area (then you loop back to Rte 23, go down and repeat if you wish!). If memory serves it is around 5.5 miles, avg 6% on Rte 23 with a couple of short 20% stretches after the parking lot. You could probably also make an interesting ride from the other (southern) side, starting around Colesville. My club training rides include some good climbs around Pottersville and into Hacklebarny State Park (Morris & Somerset counties), but while they're steep, I think they're in the 1-2 mile range at most.

palewin I appreciate the info. I will definitely check it out.

Does anybody else have any suggestions.

Colin

Most of the hills in Morris County are about mile at the longest, but I can tell you where there is some pretty steep ones...

thnx billyboost. pls let me know where they are. always looking for a new challenge and morris county is not too far.

Colin

cjcanty said:
thnx billyboost. pls let me know where they are. always looking for a new challenge and morris county is not too far.

Colin
Schooleys Mountain
Route 517 North from Hunterdon County line towards Long Valley
Sussex Ave turns into Sussex TPKE from Morristown towards Randolph

billy,
I heard about this hill during the summer. What is it like. It is long, steep or both. Hardest hill I have probably tackled in NJ is Warrenville. Not too long but pretty steep and I loved every second of the pain.

Colin

cjcanty said:
billy,
I heard about this hill during the summer. What is it like. It is long, steep or both. Hardest hill I have probably tackled in NJ is Warrenville. Not too long but pretty steep and I loved every second of the pain.

Colin
The 517 one is about two miles if I remember right, it is not really steep but it keeps going, then you come up to the bottom of Schooley's MTN, that is about a mile long and has a really sharp and steep hair pin...

whaughaw road in towaco, nj. 3-4 miles extremely steep im guessing average grade is 10-15%.

id also like to know some climbs near essex/bergen county

brungus,
thanks for the info.
Is that the correct spelling for the road.
I just went on mapquest and could not find it.

In bergen county, skyline drive is probably one of the toughest climbs around. Just a little ways out of downtown oakland, just off rt 202. From that direction think the climb is around 1.75 miles long, and after stairstepping for the first .75, the last mile is very steep with no rest. From the other direction, if memory serves me correctly, it is not as steep but is more like 3 miles long. Just north of us in Harriman st. park the climbs are great, things like school rd, and Gate Hill, Bear Mtn, well worth the drive to go do those great climbs.

cjcanty said:
hey everyone,
I am looking for some good hills to train on this winter in New Jersey. Currently the only long decent hill that I know of is in Rockaway and it is about 7 miles long with probably about a 5% gradient.
If anyone could give me some suggestions on long hills and steep hills in Garden State I would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Colin
How about Sloatsburg Road by Ringwood State Park (way up north)? I'm not sure on the length (maybe 1-2 miles), but it's fairly steep. Also, there's a heck of a climb that's a few miles from Ringwood (maybe going into NY), but it just seems to climb climb climb...if I can think of the road I'll post it, but I think if you do a ride anywhere up in that area you'll get some good vertical.