Hills killing me

Terry Morse wrote:

> DPGarza wrote:
>
> > Terry Morse wrote:
> >
> > > Given that tests have shown no power variation over a rather wide range of pedal cadences, I
> > > think the reason comes down to personal bias. It's not power output, as has been shown by
> > > testing.
> >
> > I'll only repeat what Pomeranian and others have already said: for maximum efforts, there's a
> > pattern of high cadence. Riders who never ride at the limit can easily claim that canyons
> > between cogs are no big deal, since they don't know what it's like to ride extendedly at 100% in
> > a cadence that's uncomfortable. And no, "comfort" is not a technical term.
>
> But "comfort" can be measured in tests, as can pain tolerance. The old "scale of one-to-ten"
> question works well. I reject an argument based on "if you only rode at 100% effort, you would
> agree". Riding at 100% effort can only be done for a very short time, so I'm dubious of any
> conclusions based on that.

Again you read selectively. As I defined "maximal effort," time can be adjusted for the specific
event. Time then is an independent variable. In any case, "100% efforts" are only a case at the
limit (but a strong one and so a good starting point). Again, all that really matters is what one
likes. The line drawn by the you 15% step folks is completely arbitrary. You just can't admit it and
you can't admit that you don't know.

Terry Morse wrote:

> The Pomeranian anonymously wrote:
>
> > The merits of high cog numbers are straightforward. An important merit is a reduced step size
> > for a given gear range. Another merit is simplistic gear shift pattern (essentially crossover
> > for our current time). The point of some here is to arbitrarily define what step size is the
> > minimum "needed," while absolutely refusing to define what "need" means in a general or specific
> > sense.
>
> I disagree that the merits of high cog numbers are straightforward, and that's a position that can
> be addressed technically.

You don't even understand the problem.

> Given that tests have shown no power variation over a rather wide range of pedal cadences,...

That is presumed nonsense. Prove the power curve is flat. Describe the conditions and the tests in
complete detail. There is no reason to assume a flat power curve, in fact, it would be difficult to
accomplish for maximal efforts. The only reasonable question is how much it varies and under what
conditions. Sure I can put out 100 watts at 70 rpm and 110 rpm, so what? That by itself means
absolutely nothing. I can, under many conditions, go 55 mph in my car in both 4th and 5th gear. Does
than mean 4th and 5th are the same in any practical manner other than base speed?

> I think the reason comes down to personal bias. It's not power output, as has been shown by
> testing.
>
> > I never once claimed that what I proposed isn't anything other than my opinion based upon my own
> > experience.
>
> You should qualify your statements as such, then.

Knucklehead, I stipulated this over and over again. To say or imply that I didn't at this point, or
any other point, amounts to outright dishonesty. If you choose to selectively read and have a
prejudiced interpretation from the outset, why put on airs that you are interested in this topic as
a technical matter? I stated at the beginning that it was _"my philosophy"_, and nothing else. This
is what the record shows despite you attempting to distort, mislead, and basically show your
contempt for the truth.

No ****. It isn't all I wrote. It is one little piece in what is called "building a case."

> There are many things that the bicycle marketplace embraces, sadly pushing out better, more
> reliable technologies.

Now there's a vague statement that has nothing particular relating to the topic at hand. Take your
concern for weak arguments to heart. What is unreliable about my 9sp gearing system that wasn't
unreliable in my POS gearing system I used 20+ years ago? You can't give a satisfactory answer
because the contention is false at its very roots. There is not one single thing that is more
reliable about my gearing system 20+ years ago to that which I use today.

> Stating "that's what the marketplace has embraced" falls on deaf ears in r.b.t.
>
> If you plan to stay in r.b.t., I suggest you tone down the rhetoric.

I suggest you stop being dishonest.

http://www.bsn.de/cycling/articles/cadence.html ("maximal effort" is not the same defintition as I
made) http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/misc/hour-record.html
http://ida1.physik.uni-siegen.de/menn/hourrec.htm http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd-
=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11417428&dopt=Abstract http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?-
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11990729&dopt=Abstract

The Pomeranian wrote:

> Again, all that really matters is what one likes.

Not in wreck tech, it doesn't. State your position and back it up with some facts, or prepare to be
disregarded. Many people like buying all sorts of expensive components, but that doesn't make them
any faster.

> The line drawn by the you 15% step folks is completely arbitrary. You just can't admit it and you
> can't admit that you don't know.

To which 15% step folks are you referring? I know that humans can pedal fine in a wide range of
cadences, since this has been demonstrated. That range exceeds 15%.

Buy whatever number of gears you like, but don't pretend that it makes any performance difference.

The Pomeranian wrote:

> > > I never once claimed that what I proposed isn't anything other than my opinion based upon my
> > > own experience.
> >
> > You should qualify your statements as such, then.
>
> Knucklehead, I stipulated this over and over again. To say or imply that I didn't at this point,
> or any other point, amounts to outright dishonesty. If you choose to selectively read and have a
> prejudiced interpretation from the outset, why put on airs that you are interested in this topic
> as a technical matter? I stated at the beginning that it was _"my philosophy"_, and nothing else.
> This is what the record shows despite you attempting to distort, mislead, and basically show your
> contempt for the truth.

I will ignore your histrionics and ill manners and get to the point. Since you have admitted fully
that your position is merely your personal "philisophy", and not an attempt to justify your position
with facts, I don't believe there is anything further to discuss. Enjoy you many gears, and I will
make do with my fewer ones.

Terry Morse wrote:

> But "comfort" can be measured in tests, as can pain tolerance. The old "scale of one-to-ten"
> question works well.

If I measure people's favorite color and then claim that blue is the best color, it would be a
category mistake.

A test that measured comfort/pain at maximum effort wouldn't tell me which is the best cadence,
only the preferred cadence. Maintaining one's preferred cadence in varying terrain is more likely
with a greater number of gears (except for those who believe the earth is flat, for whom only one
gear is needed).

> I reject an argument based on "if you only rode at 100% effort, you would agree". Riding at 100%
> effort can only be done for a very short time, so I'm dubious of any conclusions based on that.

Obviously, effort in the context of cycling implies duration, not peak energy; then again, dawdling
along at low effort is more a question of saddle comfort than cadence comfort.

DPGarza wrote:

> If I measure people's favorite color and then claim that blue is the best color, it would be a
> category mistake.
>
> A test that measured comfort/pain at maximum effort wouldn't tell me which is the best cadence,
> only the preferred cadence.

I suggest that the comfort/pain test would show that there is no best cadence at all with respect to
comfort, but a range of cadences would arise that are equally comfortable for the rider.

Terry Morse wrote:

> DPGarza wrote:
>
> > If I measure people's favorite color and then claim that blue is the best color, it would be a
> > category mistake.
> >
> > A test that measured comfort/pain at maximum effort wouldn't tell me which is the best cadence,
> > only the preferred cadence.
>
> I suggest that the comfort/pain test would show that there is no best cadence at all with respect
> to comfort, but a range of cadences would arise that are equally comfortable for the rider.

Data and cite the studies please.

Terry Morse wrote:

> The Pomeranian wrote:
>
> > Again, all that really matters is what one likes.
>
> Not in wreck tech, it doesn't.

Actually it does in this case. We go with the best we have to begin thinking about the problem. I
suppose you would choose to start at the end (nice fantasy btw), but my way is to begin with the
beginning. You don't have one bit of data to support your ideas, either circumstantial or through
explicit research.

> State your position and back it up with some facts,...

You argumentative ****wad, I stated my position quite clearly _at the start_, there has never been
any question what my position is. I've pointed to circumstantial evidence, and I've pointed to
actual research. I related my experience -- experience where I would have incentives to find that
power was not sensitive to cadence rather than that which in my best judgement found or seemed to be
true. I _never_ claimed I had the final word or ever implied it. I wish I did *know*; but short of
that I make the best technical judgement I can based on the experiential, circumstantial, and the
existing research I do happen to know about (short of not being Isaac Newton and having a few mil of
research dollars). You've done nothing but be a contentious ass. I've lined it out.

Again, just in the off chance you'll take your fingers out of your ears this time, the problem of
cadence versus power has not been definitively determined -- so you pretending that anyone can pedal
however fast they want and have that not affect available power (under any condition) is not
founded. Why are you so afraid to publish the studies that slam dunk this thing with no doubt? Out
with the data you rascal! You look to be afraid of a little scrutiny.

> ...or prepare to be disregarded.

You, the guy with empty hands is telling me this?

> Many people like buying all sorts of expensive components, but that doesn't make them any faster.

What the **** does that have to do with anything here and how does it answer the question? Don't you
worry about giving me advice on how to act in rbt, you need a new newsgroup called
rec.bicycles.deify.old.****.for.the.sake.of.old.itself.

> > The line drawn by the you 15% step folks is completely arbitrary. You just can't admit it and
> > you can't admit that you don't know.
>
> To which 15% step folks are you referring? I know that humans can pedal fine in a wide range of
> cadences, since this has been demonstrated.

What is that supposed to prove? I know that humans can stand on their heads and also do somersaults,
since this has been demonstrated. I already asked what this means or why it proves anything. Put up
or shut up, answer the questions: "Sure I can put out 100 watts at 70 rpm and 110 rpm, so what?" "I
can, under many conditions, go 55 mph in my car in both 4th and 5th gear. Does than mean 4th and 5th
are the same in any practical manner other than base speed?"

Don't dodge, be brave and _answer it_ and just like the little bird said "back it up with
some facts."

> That range exceeds 15%.

Which doesn't even begin to address the issue. It is just a vague statement.

> Buy whatever number of gears you like, ...

So after insulting me, you decide to then steal my statements and repeat them to me.

> ...but don't pretend that it makes any performance difference.

There is no pretension and never has been. There is no reason to believe power v. rpm is flat. What
would lead one to presume such a thing? Stop dodging, diving, and bullshitting and come out with a
single fact supporting the idea that rpm has no influence on available power. Put up or shut up. I
have a feeling you'll be shutting up.

"My way is to begin with the beginning." -- Don Juan

Terry Morse wrote:

> > > You should qualify your statements as such, then.
> >
> > Knucklehead, I stipulated this over and over again. To say or imply that I didn't at this point,
> > or any other point, amounts to outright dishonesty. If you choose to selectively read and have a
> > prejudiced interpretation from the outset, why put on airs that you are interested in this topic
> > as a technical matter? I stated at the beginning that it was _"my philosophy"_, and nothing
> > else. This is what the record shows despite you attempting to distort, mislead, and basically
> > show your contempt for the truth.
>
> I will ignore your histrionics and ill manners and get to the point.

I won't ignore your ill manners. I don't like you.

> Since you have admitted fully that your position is merely your personal "philisophy", and not an
> attempt to justify your position with facts,...

Nonsense, I pointed to various supporting evidence. The fact that I never made absolute claims is
support for the idea that I keep an open mind about the subject, unlike you. The circumstantial
evidence, the research, and my experience suggest to me that I am correct. I simply don't claim this
is a finely understood topic, unlike you. Again, the fact that there is nothing that slam dunks this
issue leaves us with nothing better than circumstantial evidence, experience, and the bits of
research that does exist. _Technically_ speaking, this is the best we can do for the current state
of affairs. I don't know what fantasy world you live in, but everything isn't easily knowable with
Dorothy simply clicking her ruby slippered heels three times.

> I don't believe there is anything further to discuss.

There never was because you already had your mind made up. You operate on pretense.

> Enjoy you many gears, and I will make do with my fewer ones.

So what?

DPGarza wrote:

> Terry Morse wrote:
>
> > But "comfort" can be measured in tests, as can pain tolerance. The old "scale of one-to-ten"
> > question works well.
>
> If I measure people's favorite color and then claim that blue is the best color, it would be a
> category mistake.
>
> A test that measured comfort/pain at maximum effort wouldn't tell me which is the best cadence,
> only the preferred cadence. Maintaining one's preferred cadence in varying terrain is more likely
> with a greater number of gears (except for those who believe the earth is flat, for whom only one
> gear is needed).

Whew, there are some Flat Earthers around rbt. Frank "The Crank" K and Bluto simultaneously believe
one gear is enough but yet put more than one gear on their bikes. Go figure.

Like I already said:

"I know from _practice_, that when I'm on the rivet my body tends to 'want' fairly narrow steps.
I've experimented with this over and over again. When I had a 12-21 7sp, I often found myself
searching for the missing 16t; back and forth between the 15t and 17t I went. As I've already
stated, I don't think rpm matters so much for submaximal efforts. Could it be just what the body is
'saying it wants,' rather than what it will actually do if you force it? Sure, but I tend to think
otherwise because at a minumum, not giving the body 'what it wants' under this stressful scenario is
at the least distracting. To a point, I trust what my body 'tells me.'"

It is distracting _at the least_. I don't know how distraction could benefit a TT type effort,
and nobody is offering any counters except: "you are crazy or a dupe." Now there is a sound
technical argument. Too bad ole Terry doesn't see a problem with that particular lack of facts or
technical argument.

> > I reject an argument based on "if you only rode at 100% effort, you would agree". Riding at 100%
> > effort can only be done for a very short time, so I'm dubious of any conclusions based on that.
>
> Obviously, effort in the context of cycling implies duration, not peak energy; then again,
> dawdling along at low effort is more a question of saddle comfort than cadence comfort.

"You know, you can get a good look at a butcher's ass by shoving your head up it but wouldn't you
rather take his word for it?" -- Tommy (Chris Farley)

Pom-Pom: You know, you can get a good look at a Jobst Brandt's ass by shoving your head up it but
wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"

"The Pomeranian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]

etc, etc, etc, interminably.

Well, I stand corrected. I was wrong when I alluded to the "civility" of r.b.t. a few days ago.

A Muzi wrote:

> "The Pomeranian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> etc, etc, etc, interminably.
>
> Well, I stand corrected. I was wrong when I alluded to the "civility" of r.b.t. a few days ago.

Surely, you'll accept that "The [anonymous] Pomeranian" is a special case for r.b.t.

That is, aside from demonstrating the correlation between abusive, obscene posts and
anonymous posting.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

The Pomeranian wrote:

> Terry Morse wrote:
> >
> > I suggest that the comfort/pain test would show that there is no best cadence at all with
> > respect to comfort, but a range of cadences would arise that are equally comfortable for the
> > rider.
>
> Data and cite the studies please.

Oh come on, Pom. Where are _your_ data and studies?

Your argument is based primarily on popularity, as in "10,000 people buying what's heavily
advertised can't be wrong." That hardly stands up to scientific scrutiny.

Can you produce a study showing a marked peak in extended power development at some magic crank rpm?
Can you produce proof that racing times have fallen significantly due to increases in the number of
available gears, or reductions in the steps between gears? In fact, can you produce proof that
successful racers even spend a significant amount of time in, say, an 11 versus a 12 or 13 or 14?

Back when you said "The guys that don't 'need' a 12 don't go very fast," I asked you about typical
track rider gearing and typical track rider speeds. You responded with your typical obscenities and
insults. No data.

You want data? First, give us some data. Sprint speeds for track riders, and gearing for track bikes
will be a good start. It's easy. Even you can do it.

--

A Muzi wrote:

> Well, I stand corrected. I was wrong when I alluded to the "civility" of r.b.t. a few days ago.

Indeed you are wrong. Old Terry made his entry by starting out calling me someone's "wet dream." It
is too true. It is funny when someone doesn't like to play by the rules they wrote themselves.

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> Can you produce a study showing a marked peak in extended power development at some magic
> crank rpm?

David Blake doesn't post anymore, but he left a nice legacy: http://tinyurl.com/53u9

Putting aside the question of RPM/power (which has already been addressed many times in this
thread), is it *really* controversial to claim that:

Riding at maximum effort is more comfortable at a certain RPM (which varies from individual to
individual).

RPM is highly dependent on available gearing.

Therefore, having more gears makes it more likely you'll be able to achieve your preferred RPM.

Now, I could understand resistance to having greater gears if someone could show that it led to less
reliable or more expensive components, but no one has made that argument convincingly yet. (And no,
400-pound guys complaining about wheel dish isn't convincing to me.)

The Pomeranian wrote:

> Indeed you are wrong. Old Terry made his entry by starting out calling me someone's "wet dream."
> It is too true. It is funny when someone doesn't like to play by the rules they wrote themselves.

My apology for observing that "The Pomeranian" was a bicyling marketer's wet dream. Had he(she?)
been more civil, I probably wouldn't have written that. I admit that I may have been wrong about
that. If his/her personal beliefs agree with the "more gears are better" marketing hype, that may
just be a lucky coincidence.

Terry Morse <[email protected]> wrote:
> The Pomeranian wrote:

> > Indeed you are wrong. Old Terry made his entry by starting out calling me someone's "wet dream."
> > It is too true. It is funny when someone doesn't like to play by the rules they wrote
> > themselves.

> My apology for observing that "The Pomeranian" was a bicyling marketer's wet dream. Had he(she?)
> been more civil, I probably wouldn't have written that. I admit that I may have been wrong about
> that. If his/her personal beliefs agree with the "more gears are better" marketing hype, that may
> just be a lucky coincidence.

Have mercy! THIS THREAD is killing me!

Art Harris

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> The Pomeranian wrote:
> >
> > Terry Morse wrote:
> > >
> > > I suggest that the comfort/pain test would show that there is no best cadence at all with
> > > respect to comfort, but a range of cadences would arise that are equally comfortable for the
> > > rider.
> >
> > Data and cite the studies please.
>
> Oh come on, Pom. Where are _your_ data and studies?

I already posted them. But you haven't done squat, nor has anyone with a like claim to yours -- a
claim unfounded. Not that you really care, but here we go again:

http://www.bsn.de/cycling/articles/cadence.html ("maximal effort" is not the same defintition as I
made) http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/misc/hour-record.html
http://ida1.physik.uni-siegen.de/menn/hourrec.htm http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd-
=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11417428&dopt=Abstract http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?-
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11990729&dopt=Abstract

> Your argument is based primarily on popularity, as in "10,000 people buying what's heavily
> advertised can't be wrong." That hardly stands up to scientific scrutiny.

I never said it was enough, in and of itself. So again this is simply you not wanting to hear
because you have your mind made up. That point, as single one, simply pointed out that many
experienced riders have in the past chosen more gears when they can get them. Apparently, your prime
argument is that they (and I) are crazy and duped. "Crazy and duped" is what I was essentially
called at the beginning of the contentious nature of the argument. So for anyone's complaint about
civility, I was the one first insulted. This is what the record shows. Perhaps you would like to
explain how defining someone as crazy and duped, with not one shred of evidence to support the crazy
and duped claim, is a civil manner of getting one's point across.

You, Terry, and others have from the beginning put on the pretense that you are interested in this
as a technical matter. In truth, as seen by the complete ignoring of circumstantial, experiential,
and bits of actual research that I have put forth, you are simply not interested in entertaining any
idea which does not confirm your prejudices. When you ignore counter questions and all that has been
put forth, you are saying: "I don't respect you enough to bother even listening to one word you have
to say." So in like turn, I take no credence in any compaint about my lack of civilty. You and
others wrote the rules, not me. You are nothing but pretentious because you won't explain your
position, counter that of others, or cite one shred of empirical data or scientifically designed
test. Try being honest for a change, and show your respect those whom you are communicating with, by
bluntly admitting that you will not entertain any idea on this issue that counters your prejudice.
Admit for the sake of civility that you are not interested. Drop the pretentiousness. You try to
**** me off and then complain when you succeed.

> Can you produce a study showing a marked peak in extended power development at some magic
> crank rpm?

Define your terms. What is "marked peak?" Define the deltadB for a given bandwidth. Then go ahead
and make some calculations for say, an hour TT that will estimate the delta of distance covered in
the hour according to say for example a small 1% of power delta (0.04 dB). Define how much
difference "matters" for someone trying to go as fast as they can for one hour. Go ahead and review
anything I've written -- I've never stated that any peaking would be "sharp." Define "flat power
curve" if you claim such a thing exists (How flat is flat?). Provide physical evidence (data from
scientific tests) of this illusory flat power curve. In any event, biomecanical efficiency by itself
is a very important part of the picture, but it does not quite complete the picture.

> Can you produce proof that racing times have fallen significantly due to increases in the number
> of available gears, or reductions in the steps between gears?

How in fact could this be explicitly done since not one scientist has been enlisted to perform such
a task to my knowledge? Moreover, for road racing, the courses (and road conditions) change over
time as do the actual physical conditions from one year to the next, equipment other than gears, and
the actual racers attending the race, and the actual tactics employed by the teams. In short, there
is no static or deterministic (or perhaps even statistical) way to answer the question. So your way
of "proving your point" is to ask a meaningless question that cannot under any circumstances be
answered. Nice try. Next.

If you are happy with average racing times as simplistic answer to your question, then it is yes.
Average speed records for various races does tend to go up with the passage of time. I would not be
surprised if there was a very weak correlation with increasing average speeds and number of gears --
but so manner other factors must be factored out it would be a difficult study. If you would like to
pay me to research matter, that is all well and good. If you've got the dime, I've got the time.

> In fact, can you produce proof that successful racers even spend a significant amount of time in,
> say, an 11 versus a 12 or 13 or 14?

Actually that is not what is contended -- again you show you don't really understand the argument.
Define "significant amount of time." What are you getting at?

> Back when you said "The guys that don't 'need' a 12 don't go very fast," I asked you about typical
> track rider gearing and typical track rider speeds.

You can't even explain what the point of even mentioning track riders
is. If you think you can ride out on the open road just as fast on a 1sp as a multi-speed, then go
ahead and think that. Personally I think the idea is preposterous enough to simply ignore. I
wouldn't call, for example, Freddy Markam very "typical" track rider, but he used a 12-21 8sp
when I was going on the same training rides as him.

> You responded with your typical obscenities and insults. No data.
>
> You want data? First, give us some data.

I pointed to the circumstantial evidence of tight hour record cadences over a _century_ of time and
even across individuals right at the start -- you ignored it and now complain about "no data." I
gave the data of my own experiences, and you ignored it (you didn't ask one question about it). I
give data regarding the behavior of others in explicitly choosing more gears when available, and you
casually blow it off as craziness and stupidity. Basically you are not telling the truth and have
shown no sign that you are truely interested in this as a technical topic. You contribute nothing
but pretense and disrespectful ignorance.

> Sprint speeds for track riders, ...

A horrible place to start. This very specialized discipline on the track, of all of them, bears
perhaps the least resemblance to anything done on the road. Not many road sprinters pedal as fast
in their sprints after a 200 km race as a track sprinter pedals in their brief event. Like Ronnie
McEwen said: "A 53x11 is pretty much standard." Track sprinters don't use 53x11s, many road
sprinters do. The fact that top speeds between the two different sprint disciplines are comparable
doesn't mean much except that it would seem important that road sprinters can get going just as
fast _after 200 km of racing_ in their bigger gears, as a track racer gets going in their lower
gears after only a few heats. Then I think road sprinters probably know what they are doing. Gears
and cadences for track sprinting can't be seen as necessarily relevent. Why talk about power versus
rpm for a 5 second burst with it being a very specific effort at the very end of the useful
spectrum of cycling?

> ...and gearing for track bikes will be a good start.

You don't understand the problem. If there actually was a link to track bikes it is how fast the
riders pedal, not what the particular gears are. Since you are concerned about track events, then
counter the circumstantial evidence provided in the hour record link. The data is staring you in the
face -- you just choose to ignore it and disrespect me by turning around saying "First give us
data." Preposterous.

> It's easy.

Not for you -- you haven't posted one shred of evidence or made one coherent contention. You refuse
to answer the questions.

> Even you can do it.

And I have. And I don't claim in any way that it ends the matter conclusively. I've pedaled bikes
with tight gear spacing and expanded gear spacing. _I've done both_. I get the feeling that those
here who critique step sizes of < 10% have never even tried the very thing they complain about as a
stupid and duped behavior. I suspect they have no basis for making the judgement. I have never once
said anyone shouldn't pedal _their bike_ however they want to pedal. For the casual cyclist: pedal
as fast or as slow as makes you comfy. I don't think it matters much there.

[Since the topic has drifted substantially, I have changed the title...tm]

The Pomeranian wrote:

> http://www.bsn.de/cycling/articles/cadence.html

An interesting overview article that I've read before, but how does it help us draw a conclusion
about gearing? Lots of contradictory studies are cited, but at least one shows no essential
difference in high power gross cycling efficiency between 60 and 100 rpm:

"Sidossis et al (1992)...found that gross efficiency was similar at cadences of 60, 80, and 100 rpm
during cycling at power outputs corresponding to 80% (280 W) and 90% (300 W) of an individual's
maximal aerobic power."

Other cited studies show a maximum efficiency at a relatively low cadence, around 60. Another shows
irrelevant differences in perceived exertion between 40 and 100 rpm. The article concludes with:

"In summary, laboratory studies indicate that experienced cyclists do not use their most economical
or efficient cadences."

So if aerobic efficency is the only goal, always pedaling at one's preferred cadence is a poor
strategy. Preventing muscle fatigue is another important issue, however. For that, I suggest the
most important factor is maintaining peak pedal forces below a threshold that would cause fatigue.
Having a low enough gear to stay at or below this pedal force would then be the goal of gear
selection. This is a different criteria than simply choosing enough gears to be able to pedal at
one's preferred cadence at any speed.

I've done some informal hill climbing experiments, where I rode up a 7% grade in different gears
while maintaining a heart rate of 160-165. At 50, 60, and 75-80 rpm, my speed was essentially the
same. The gearing made no difference at all.

Terry Morse writes:

> I've done some informal hill climbing experiments, where I rode up a 7% grade in different gears
> while maintaining a heart rate of 160-165. At 50, 60, and 75-80 rpm, my speed was essentially the
> same. The gearing made no difference at all.

You are not alone in this finding although it goes against much "common knowledge" and bicycle shops
that sell bicycles with 30 gear combinations, claiming that they make hills easier to climb. In fact
your finding is blasphemy in bicycling circles where not spinning at 120 or more RPM is called
mashing and other derogatory terms, with warnings that you'll soon ruin your knees.

It takes fitness to climb hills, there is no way around that, regardless of gears, carbon-fiber,
titanium, and ceramics.