hills north of panama city beach?

Andre

Guest
Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
training plan for our Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I
recall, you've got to go pretty far north to hit any kind of
hills. Any guidance \ links for this? I'm trying to find a
free topographic map of this area, but good luck... Thanks.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois AGC-PC support http://agc-pc.tripod.com

If you want hills you just have to perform multiple sessions
over the bridge. Truth is that the course is flat and fast.
Working the flats at above race pace will provide the speed
and stamina required for racing. Steady hard efforts is what
Panama City is about. Simulate the course in training for
greatest benefit when racing.

Ken

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VR-
[email protected]...
> Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
> training plan for
our
> Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I recall, you've got to
> go pretty far north to hit any kind of hills. Any guidance
> \ links for this? I'm
trying
> to find a free topographic map of this area, but good
> luck... Thanks.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois AGC-PC support http://agc-pc.tripod.com
> BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
> training plan for
our
> Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I recall, you've got to
> go pretty far north to hit any kind of hills. Any guidance
> \ links for this? I'm
trying
> to find a free topographic map of this area, but good
> luck... Thanks.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois AGC-PC support http://agc-pc.tripod.com
> BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

As Ken said, the bridge is the only "hill". It is on an out
& back segment.

This does not necessarily mean that you should alter your
gearing. The wind has been known to kick up.

It is hard to perpare for this race if you live in a hilly
area, as I do. You need to train with one eye on your HRM,
when what you would rather do is go anaerobic to finish
off a hill.

rsquared

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
> training plan for
our
> Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I recall, you've got to
> go pretty far north to hit any kind of hills. Any guidance
> \ links for this? I'm
trying
> to find a free topographic map of this area, but
> good luck...

PCB? Heh

You have 3 choices:
1. The bridge
2. Pretty far north....like Eglin AFB.
3. Very far north...Birmingham.

Personally, I would train in the flats for a race in
the flats.

a.

Thanks guys, but the camp is not just to prepare for the
GCT. I'm a road racer, and am actually mainly laying a
foundation for the North American Masters Road champs in
quebec. Road races are won in the hills, of which there are
plenty in this race. I recall there were some hills up
around Ebro.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois AGC-PC support http://agc-pc.tripod.com
BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VR-
[email protected]...
> Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
> training plan for
our
> Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I recall, you've got to
> go pretty far north to hit any kind of hills. Any guidance
> \ links for this? I'm
trying
> to find a free topographic map of this area, but good
> luck... Thanks.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois AGC-PC support http://agc-pc.tripod.com
> BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in news:SQj9c.17933$Bqd1.192
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

> I recall there were some hills up around Ebro.

There are, and that's probably about as good as you're oging
to do, unless you drive to the University of West Florida
Campus in Pensacola (about 100 miles away from PCB) or
Tallahassee (about the same distance). UWF has some nasty
little steep inclines over a short course. You'd have to do
a bunch of repeats. Tallahassee has got to be the hilliest
place in FL.

On another note, I've been looking for local contacts for
you. There usedto be a club called Panhandle Runners &
Triathletes Club (http://interoz.com/prtc.htm) that put on
a few events. The web site looks to be out of date, but
you might still get good info from the people listed on
the web site.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:27:33 GMT, "Andre" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
>training plan for our Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I
>recall, you've got to go pretty far north to hit any kind
>of hills. Any guidance \ links for this? I'm trying to
>find a free topographic map of this area, but good
>luck... Thanks.

If you're trying to train for a race with hills (which, as
others have said, are not part of the gulf coast course),
then you can either do hard intervals or ride the bridges.
About once a week at the end of a 20 mile ride, I will do
about 8 or 10 x 1:00 all-out intervals with 2 minutes rest.
Do enough of those, and you will be fatigued quickly,
regardless of the terrain or wind in which you're riding.

well, flat and flat. Sometimes the strong winds make the
flat course feel like climbing. There are no real hills for
several hundred miles...remember it's Florida.

--
Rick Loggins

"IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you want hills you just have to perform multiple sessions over the
> bridge. Truth is that the course is flat and fast. Working the flats
at
> above race pace will provide the speed and stamina required for racing.
> Steady hard efforts is what Panama City is about. Simulate the course in
> training for greatest benefit when racing.
>
> Ken
>

> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our training plan for
> our
> > Florida gulf coast tri \ camp. As I recall, you've got to go pretty far
> > north to hit any kind of hills. Any guidance \ links for this? I'm
> trying
> > to find a free topographic map of this area, but good luck...
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > --------------------------
> > Andre Charlebois
> > AGC-PC support
> > http://agc-pc.tripod.com
> > BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

Yep, wind is an incredible training enhancement.

Ken

"Rick Loggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> well, flat and flat. Sometimes the strong winds make the
> flat course feel like climbing. There are no real hills
> for several hundred
miles...remember
> it's Florida.
>

> --
> Rick Loggins
>

> "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If you want hills you just have to perform multiple
> > sessions over the bridge. Truth is that the course is
> > flat and fast. Working the
flats
> at
> > above race pace will provide the speed and stamina
> > required for racing. Steady hard efforts is what Panama
> > City is about. Simulate the course
in
> > training for greatest benefit when racing.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message ne-
> > ws:[email protected]
> > .com...
> > > Hello again folks. We're starting to put together our
> > > training plan
for