Hills

Originally posted by edd
Don't really understand your terminology

replace the words "extremely" to "very" the word "tortuous" to "fun" ( they mean the same thing really ) and "ordeal" to "experience"

Is this grammer school or a cycling forum to share cycling info? i understand what he is saying as well as you do, so why correct him for embarresment.:confused:

Originally posted by zaskar
Originally posted by edd

replace the words "extremely" to "very" the word "tortuous" to "fun" ( they mean the same thing really ) and "ordeal" to "experience"

Is this grammer school or a cycling forum to share cycling info? i understand what he is saying as well as you do, so why correct him for embarresment.:confused:

Replace "embarresment" to "make him laugh"

Originally posted by edd
Yes, Zaskar, don't take it all too seriously. Edd's just telling him to enjoy his hills.

Eoin C

Originally posted by edd

DOOUGHHHHHH my Bad Edd, i should read things 3 -4 times to make sure i understand it before i open my mouth! sorry:eek:

Hmmm, somewhat reminiscent of Lance Armstrong. Apparently Lance liked to shout "No chain!" when climbing a mountain, which meant he convinced himself he was spinning empty air. The joke even extended to his team once when he called the mechanic on his radio and asked if he'd remembered to fit the chain.
I don't know if I enjoy climbs or not actually. I guess I must do as I spend less time on the flat.
P.S., folks, anyone know anything about a roadbike produced under the name Scott? It was originally an American make but is now being made in Switzerland (or Sweden). It has 3 cogs, looks terrific and is super light. I very nearly just bought it outright today on a whim and I'm sure I could climb a wall on such a machine.

Originally posted by edd

So it reads:

Next time I do some serious climbing, I'll take my camera and upload a pic of the summit of a climb I attempt every so often. The gradient is very steep and the length of the climb extends way beyond vision. The only way you can get up to the top is out of the seat for every stroke of the pedal and it really is a fun experience.

Now I understand and I'm envious.

I use to hate hills a lot but once I worked on my technique and fitness, I found it to be very satisfying. Its a whole lot of work but its all worth it.

So for 8 consecutive weekends starting March, I climbed Mt Diablo summit (http://www.chainreaction.com/diablo.htm) and I know I have accomplished something.

I found my own climb a couple of days ago and I plan to practise the ascent on a regular basis. It has to be done to be believed since this hill is extremely steep in parts and very long. I tried it last week and very nearly failed to make the top. Today I had another go and did far better being able to change gear towards the top, whereas last time I was too exhausted to regain any speed on the flat at the summit.
I spent 15 minutes psyching myself up for the climb and drinking some fruit juice.
Although the weather over here is pretty lousy, I'm fortunate to have so many challenging hills to practise on and hopefully the effort involved will benefit overall fitness.

Originally posted by tanggoman
I use to hate hills a lot but once I worked on my technique and fitness, I found it to be very satisfying. Its a whole lot of work but its all worth it.

So for 8 consecutive weekends starting March, I climbed Mt Diablo summit (http://www.chainreaction.com/diablo.htm) and I know I have accomplished something.

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
Actually, 7.5% grade is an incline of 4.29º
The angle of the incline is ARCTAN (GRADE/100), GRADE is 100*TAN(ANGLE)

A grade of 100% is only an angle of 45º
A grade of 15% is an angle of 8.53º

Thanks for the tutorial! I was completely not understanding that there was a difference between grade and angle. Kind of pathetic, but there it is...

Now I really need a cyclocomputer with grade.