Hilly terrain and upgraded cassette

Cusp

Sep 17, 2006
Hello,

I currently have OEM 12-25 rear cassette with a double crank. The hills around my area are starting to 'burn in the legs' a little more than I would like. Is a 12-26 cassette worth the money? Or that 1 more tooth gear won't do much/make a difference?

Just some thoughts on the difference with a 39x25 and 39x26 on da hills.

Thanks.

you;re looking at a 4% difference. Not sure it's worth the change though. A 12-27 would be more of a difference (think of it as a extra gear to what you have now). If you require more than that, go compact or triple.

Or....you could always train harder !

I have Ultegra 12/25s on two bikes and ride in a very hilly area. Going to the 27 from a 25 helped me a lot. A couple of climbs in the area average in the mid to upper 5% grades for a distance of 4 to 5 miles and , of course, there are steeper, shorter ones, but nothing the 27 can't handle.

Xsmoker said:
I have Ultegra 12/25s on two bikes and ride in a very hilly area. Going to the 27 from a 25 helped me a lot. A couple of climbs in the area average in the mid to upper 5% grades for a distance of 4 to 5 miles and , of course, there are steeper, shorter ones, but nothing the 27 can't handle.

I have a 9 speed bike ... do they even make a 27 cassette? SRAM and Shimano (I think) only sell 26 for 9 speeds.

Cusp said:
I have a 9 speed bike ... do they even make a 27 cassette? SRAM and Shimano (I think) only sell 26 for 9 speeds.

I'm a retard. my post should have read "I have Ultegra 12/27s on two bikes." Yes they are 9sp.

Xsmoker said:
I'm a retard. my post should have read "I have Ultegra 12/27s on two bikes." Yes they are 9sp.

ahhh - old stock ultegra (6500 series) does indeed have 9 speed 27 tooth cassettes. Thanks!

Cusp said:
Hello,

I currently have OEM 12-25 rear cassette with a double crank. The hills around my area are starting to 'burn in the legs' a little more than I would like. Is a 12-26 cassette worth the money? Or that 1 more tooth gear won't do much/make a difference?

Just some thoughts on the difference with a 39x25 and 39x26 on da hills.

Thanks.
I just changed from 11-23 to 12-26 and there is a significant, but not huge difference between the 23 and 26. I do not believe there would be a functional difference between 25 and 26. Go for the 27.

Camilo said:
I just changed from 11-23 to 12-26 and there is a significant, but not huge difference between the 23 and 26. I do not believe there would be a functional difference between 25 and 26. Go for the 27.

Yuppp ... the 27 seems to be the better choice. I just can't find a 9 speed 105 cassette in a 27. Only Ultegra seems to be available. Arghhh ... $60+ for ultegra.