Hilton Head weather in April???

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nyrides

My wife and I are thinking of visiting Hilton Head Island, SC for some riding during the April
Easter/Passover break.

Ideally, we'd like it to be 70 degrees or higher during the peak of the day. Can anybody tell me
about the weather in HH in April?

Thanks!

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

Most days will be above 70 there in April, in fact, you might get days in the low 90s. More rain and
wind in April in Hilton Head though but should make for an excellent bike vacation. It is probably
the second best month besides October/early Nov. to ride there.

Can anybody tell me about the weather in HH in April?

I feel that cycling on HH is less than desireable at any temperature. I have visited HH on several
occasions and was struck by the difficulty in getting around on a bike. One sees a lot of bikes but
they are apparently mostly used for short trips.

The local drivers are definiely hostile to bikes and the gendarmes turn a blind eye. Local
construction practice puts a serious crimp on cycling about. Most of the island is broken up into
autonomous villages and you must be a guest/resident to get in. That leavbes you with your own
village to cycle and the main road. In addition, getting access from the mainland to HH on a bicycle
via the public roads is rather chancey with few if any paved shoulders and lots of traffic. On a
bike one can cover every permitted area on HH on one afternoon. That is not much incentive for a
cycling holiday on HH. if you must go there, take golf clubs instead and leave the bikes at home.

It also appears that the powers that be wish to discourage riders from cycling onto the island.
(They probably equate them with homeless and they sure do not want to give those folks an
opportunity to reach that expensive real estate.)

signed

Dale (not thrilled with HH as a cycling destination) Lally Pompano Beach FL Regards from
the Velo Nut

Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

Wow...so why do so many people say it's such a great place to ride? Keep in mind we're not looking
to tear up the pavement. I'm a fairly serious rider, but my wife can only take about ten, easy
miles a day.

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "NYRides" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My wife and I are thinking of visiting Hilton Head Island, SC for some riding during the April
> Easter/Passover break.
>
> Ideally, we'd like it to be 70 degrees or higher during the peak of the
day.
> Can anybody tell me about the weather in HH in April?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

I can't address the weather in HH in detail since I won't ride there. I live in Charleston that's
not far away. Our weather is typically hot, humid and rain-free. This being an exceptional weather
year (El Nino/La Nina), it might be a mite wetter.

The bulk of VeloNut's comments, though, address a more important problem. Bicycling advocacy in
SC is so poorly focussed ('advocating' every thing from PoB to the Tour Du Pont) that it has
given us HH with write ups in the PCC newsletter. Look in the Palmetto Cycling Coalition's web
site http://www.pccsc.net for newsletter archives with descriptions of riding and weather
conditions at HH.

Don't ride there since it's a bummer.

"VeloNut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> I feel that cycling on HH is less than desireable at any temperature. I
have
> visited HH on several occasions and was struck by the difficulty in
getting
> around on a bike. One sees a lot of bikes but they are apparently mostly
used
> for short trips.
>
> The local drivers are definiely hostile to bikes and the gendarmes turn a
blind
> eye. Local construction practice puts a serious crimp on cycling about. Most
of the
> island is broken up into autonomous villages and you must be a
guest/resident
> to get in. That leavbes you with your own village to cycle and the main
road.
> In addition, getting access from the mainland to HH on a bicycle via the
public
> roads is rather chancey with few if any paved shoulders and lots of
traffic.
> On a bike one can cover every permitted area on HH on one afternoon. That
is
> not much incentive for a cycling holiday on HH. if you must go there,
take
> golf clubs instead and leave the bikes at home.
>
> It also appears that the powers that be wish to discourage riders from
cycling
> onto the island. (They probably equate them with homeless and they sure
do not
> want to give those folks an opportunity to reach that expensive real
estate.)
>
> signed
>
> Dale (not thrilled with HH as a cycling destination) Lally Pompano Beach FL Regards from the
> Velo Nut
>
> Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wow...so why do so many people say it's such a great place to ride? Keep
in
> mind we're not looking to tear up the pavement. I'm a fairly serious
rider,
> but my wife can only take about ten, easy miles a day.

You can rent a bike at a hotel and ride on the beach. I was there for a sales conference some yars
ago, and we had part of an afternoon free. This was a fun thing to do, and even my non-biking wife
would have enjoyed it, if she'd been there.

Still, though, we couldn't do anything long like "go around the island". We ran into a small creek,
and couldn't go around because of the "no trespassing" signs everywhere.

Wow...so why do so many people say it's such a great place to ride? Keep in mind we're not looking
to tear up the pavement. I'm a fairly serious rider, but my wife can only take about ten, easy
miles a day

That is the message put out by the Chamber of Commerce and the developers. The opinions of serious
riders will differ drastically.

IRT daily mileages, I venture to say that 10 miles is about the max one could ride without doubling
back. Due to the restricted access to the various villages, there is just no place to go except up
and down the main drag - very nice - but not much too it.

Regards from the Velo Nut

Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

Living in South Carolina, there are plenty of excellent places to ride in and around Hilton Head.
Yes, there are plenty of private community but also plenty of trials and open riding also available.
Trust me, you will enjoy riding around Hilton Head and the surrounding area. Especially the
surrounding areas. And Charleston and Savannah are pretty nearby.

"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> You can rent a bike at a hotel and ride on the beach. I was there for a sales conference some yars
> ago, and we had part of an afternoon free. This was a fun thing to do, and even my non-biking wife
> would have enjoyed it, if she'd been there.

I do that a lot in Myrtle Beach. SC beaches are very flat with well packed sand, a good riding
surface. When you run out of roads to ride in HH, hit the beach.

Matt O.

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:51:48 -0500, NYRides wrote:

> My wife and I are thinking of visiting Hilton Head Island, SC for some riding during the April
> Easter/Passover break.
>
> Ideally, we'd like it to be 70 degrees or higher during the peak of the day. Can anybody tell me
> about the weather in HH in April?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

As others have noted, there are few places more hostile to ride than HHI. One person I know got a
ticket for riding on a private road (in one of those gated communities). He took it to court; the
security guard stated that the reason he issues cyclists tickets is because so many residents are
old, and cannot see well, so riders are ticketed to discourage cyclists on the roads.

The court upheld the ticket because in SC, when a side path is provided, bicycles *must* use it.
Never mind that the majority of the side paths are shared use paths, with roller bladers, wobblers,
joggers, and are all of 36" wide. A cyclist on those paths is likely to kill someone.

Go anywhere else but HHI if you want to ride. Savannah, GA has a good "share the road" program, as
does North Carolina. Even Beaufort, SC, just a few miles from HHI, is a lot friendlier.

As for the weather, it could be cool (50s) to blazing hot (90s), rainy or sunny, take your pick.

-Dondo

OK. I'm convinced. We're not going. Thanks! :)

--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides "NYRides" <[email protected]>
> Easter/Passover break.
>
day.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

OK. I'm convinced. We're not going. Thanks! :)

--
> Easter/Passover break.
>
day.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --

Hoo RAh! Thank you. There's been so much yap yap yap about how nice they are and how well paved is
their twenty miles of 'bike trail'.

I drove HH once and saw all of the signs. Especially I saw the stop signs on each and every driveway
crossing of the sidewalk/bike path. STOP signs for driveways!

Similarly, I note that another privately owned and gated island that I ride on has recently removed
the last (that I can detect) public notice of its no firearms policy.

"Captain Dondo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:51:48 -0500, NYRides wrote:
>
> > My wife and I are thinking of visiting Hilton Head Island, SC for some riding during the April
> > Easter/Passover break.
> >
> > Ideally, we'd like it to be 70 degrees or higher during the peak of the day. Can anybody tell me
> > about the weather in HH in April?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides
>
> As others have noted, there are few places more hostile to ride than HHI. One person I know got a
> ticket for riding on a private road (in one of those gated communities). He took it to court; the
> security guard stated that the reason he issues cyclists tickets is because so many residents are
> old, and cannot see well, so riders are ticketed to discourage cyclists on the roads.
>
> The court upheld the ticket because in SC, when a side path is provided, bicycles *must* use it.
> Never mind that the majority of the side paths are shared use paths, with roller bladers,
> wobblers, joggers, and are all of 36" wide. A cyclist on those paths is likely to kill someone.
>
> Go anywhere else but HHI if you want to ride. Savannah, GA has a good "share the road" program, as
> does North Carolina. Even Beaufort, SC, just a few miles from HHI, is a lot friendlier.
>
> As for the weather, it could be cool (50s) to blazing hot (90s), rainy or sunny, take your pick.
>
> -Dondo

> OK. I'm convinced. We're not going. Thanks! :)

You might print out a copy of this thread, and send it along with a letter the the HH Chamber of
Commerce about why you won't be coming to HH.

Matt O.

Hoo RAh! Thank you. There's been so much yap yap yap about how nice they are and how well paved is
their twenty miles of 'bike trail'.

I drove HH once and saw all of the signs. Especially I saw the stop signs on each and every driveway
crossing of the sidewalk/bike path. STOP signs for driveways!

Similarly, I note that another privately owned and gated island that I ride on has recently removed
the last (that I can detect) public notice of its no firearms policy.

> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:51:48 -0500, NYRides wrote:
>
> > My wife and I are thinking of visiting Hilton Head Island, SC for some riding during the April
> > Easter/Passover break.
> >
> > Ideally, we'd like it to be 70 degrees or higher during the peak of the day. Can anybody tell me
> > about the weather in HH in April?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides
>
> As others have noted, there are few places more hostile to ride than HHI. One person I know got a
> ticket for riding on a private road (in one of those gated communities). He took it to court; the
> security guard stated that the reason he issues cyclists tickets is because so many residents are
> old, and cannot see well, so riders are ticketed to discourage cyclists on the roads.
>
> The court upheld the ticket because in SC, when a side path is provided, bicycles *must* use it.
> Never mind that the majority of the side paths are shared use paths, with roller bladers,
> wobblers, joggers, and are all of 36" wide. A cyclist on those paths is likely to kill someone.
>
> Go anywhere else but HHI if you want to ride. Savannah, GA has a good "share the road" program, as
> does North Carolina. Even Beaufort, SC, just a few miles from HHI, is a lot friendlier.
>
> As for the weather, it could be cool (50s) to blazing hot (90s), rainy or sunny, take your pick.
>
> -Dondo

> OK. I'm convinced. We're not going. Thanks! :)

You might print out a copy of this thread, and send it along with a letter the the HH Chamber of
Commerce about why you won't be coming to HH.

Matt O.

Not being at all familiar with the political/management situation on HH, I would look to a familiar
situation on other wholly owned islands where the property owners association and staff supplant
much of a town's government function. I would note also that the various State pre-emption laws are
neatly muted by this arrangement.

"VeloNut" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You might print out a copy of this thread, and send it along with a letter the the HH Chamber of
> Commerce about why you won't be coming to HH.
>
>
>
>
> Frankly, I am sure they are completely aware of that situation. From what
I
> understand, the Chamber does not control anything substantive on HH. It
is the
> developers who who designed the traffic pattern. And you will make little headway along that line.
>
>
> Regards from the Velo Nut
>
> Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:24:35 -0500, VeloNut wrote:

> You might print out a copy of this thread, and send it along with a letter the the HH Chamber of
> Commerce about why you won't be coming to HH.
>
>
>
>
> Frankly, I am sure they are completely aware of that situation. From what I understand, the
> Chamber does not control anything substantive on HH. It is the developers who who designed the
> traffic pattern. And you will make little headway along that line.
>

Actually, the chamber caters to tourist oriented businesses. But --- most of HHI's income is from
golf / resort packages. They perceive cyclists as less than desirable because they spend less money
than golfers.

There are some really good LBSs on HHI, as well as some good riders. But they mostly ride
off-island; drive somewhere then ride.

-Dondo

> Actually, the chamber caters to tourist oriented businesses. But --- most of HHI's income is from
> golf / resort packages. They perceive cyclists as less than desirable because they spend less
> money than golfers.

It probably has more to do with the marketing of "upscale" houses and condos at these golf and beach
resorts. "No bicycles" signs are snob code for "no children," but you can't say that under the Fair
Housing Act.

Matt O.

Status
Not open for further replies.