Hincapie, only 5 seconds from yellow?

frusso

May 7, 2004
Not knowing a lot about race tactics why did George Hincapie just put his head down and race for the finish flat out. If you watch the last few miles of the race you will see George constantly slowing and looking back for some one to pull. Even as he finishes and crossing the line he is looking back. I’m sure George can find 5 seconds if not more he lost in the last few miles.

Sorry George

frusso said:
Not knowing a lot about race tactics why did George Hincapie just put his head down and race for the finish flat out. If you watch the last few miles of the race you will see George constantly slowing and looking back for some one to pull. Even as he finishes and crossing the line he is looking back. I’m sure George can find 5 seconds if not more he lost in the last few miles.

Sorry George
You are absolutely, 100% correct! I tried explaining the Hincapie situation and the unwritten rules of cycling to my wife, who knows nothing about cycling, and she kept wondering why riders need to slow down just so someone else can effectively win. Finally her simplistic, uneducated comments sunk in and made sense. Screw the bitter and grumpy Hincapie. If he were pedaling like Ivanov, I would understand his position more. Ivanov practically collapsed at the finish line. Maybe Stewart Cink should have given Tom Watson the British Open too.

frusso said:

Sorry George

100% agree... Hincapie has no farther to look for blame than in the mirror... grow a pair and take the yellow jersey don't depend on having it gifted to you. as No_Positives said, if he collapsed on the ground chest heaving like Ivanov i might have some sympathy for him but as he just rode in the wheels looking for someone to do his work for him and depending of the peleton to be slowed up i just can't muster any sympathy for him at all. but this is George's style take at look at any of the upteen near wins in the classics... he always wait too long.. riding in the wheels.. looking around... he's as strong as an ox and dumb as a stump when it comes to tactics, thinking on his feet and timing he's just clueless... and again he loses out because he's just waiting around, looking around instead of getting off his dumb ass and get it done...

don't have on shred of sympathy at all... with that performance he didn't deserve the jersey.. he didn't work for it...

In 2005 he sucked the wheels of the breakaway and screwed Periero out of the stage win in the last moments of the stage. It's just what he does.
If he would have about 6 inches taken off his ears he could probably gain about another 2-3 mins in a long stage by eliminating wind drag.

jhuskey said:
In 2005 he sucked the wheels of the breakaway and screwed Periero out of the stage win in the last moments of the stage.

true.. true... that was pretty bad.. karma can really be a b!tch sometimes!!

Oh boo hoo....George is all upset because the other guys didn't let him win.....boo hoo.....

More amusing is the whining by Cavendish that the yellow jersey should have rightfully gone to Hincapie...