Hincapie: the straw that broke T-Mobile's back

He's only non-controversial from the standpoint of never testing positive. But there's been a lot of grumbling about him, stemming from his years as Lance's super-domestique, and his winning a mountain stage in the Tour (not bad for a Spring classics rider).

cyclingheroes said:
Its a nice theory that Hincapie was the reason that TM pulled the plug... Well done by the spin doctor from Bonn and his pr team. But... its bull!
What was the reason?

Did they just lack the stomach for the fight?

Drongo said:
What was the reason?

Did they just lack the stomach for the fight?
There were several reasons. It would take a few 100 pages to write it all down. An important reason was the never ending German media campaign against the team and cycling in general. Another important reason was the way cycling is governt. You never know what comes next (ASO - UCI power struggle has a lot to do with what happened at the 2006 and 2007 Tour, in the years before it was all covered up...).

cyclingheroes said:
There were several reasons. It would take a few 100 pages to write it all down. An important reason was the never ending German media campaign against the team and cycling in general. Another important reason was the way cycling is governt. You never know what comes next (ASO - UCI power struggle has a lot to do with what happened at the 2006 and 2007 Tour, in the years before it was all covered up...).
I keep seeing this charge that the UCI-ASO struggle is responsible for this and that team's troubles, but--aside from Unibet, which must have known beforehand that they would have troubles--I haven't seen anything to back it up. Allegations of the UCI mishandling the Rasmussen missed tests and other doping related issues can be explained by incompetence easier than a plot to damage the ASO. The UCI did not act any different before the spat over the ProTour.

I don't see how the UCI-ASO tiff affected T-Mobile much.

Bro Deal said:
I keep seeing this charge that the UCI-ASO struggle is responsible for this and that team's troubles, but--aside from Unibet, which must have known beforehand that they would have troubles--I haven't seen anything to back it up. Allegations of the UCI mishandling the Rasmussen missed tests and other doping related issues can be explained by incompetence easier than a plot to damage the ASO. The UCI did not act any different before the spat over the ProTour.

I don't see how the UCI-ASO tiff affected T-Mobile much.
I do see it. Incompetent yes, deliberatly creating a scandal to harm the Tour also a yes. I know more than I can post here.

cyclingheroes said:
Everyone is responsible for what he did! Riders and teams ran doping program, they stay responsible of that even and UCI, ASO, organisers, and medias are responsible of the cover up.

poulidor said:
Everyone is responsible for what he did! Riders and teams ran doping program, they stay responsible of that even and UCI, ASO, organisers, and medias are responsible of the cover up.
Poulidor - Je suis d'accord avec ce que vous dites.

Je respecte vraiment que vous donnez vos avis ici quand l'anglais n'est pas votre premiere langue. Evidemment le Francais n'est pas a moi. Vos perspicacites sont vraiment valeur et j'ai plaisir a lire vos messages.

Et le logiciel est utile de nos jours.;)

Merci pour tous ces compliments. Perpicacité, clairvoyance et humour vous vont si bien.
Votre français, produit par un logiciel, est relativement bon. Meilleur que mon anglais issu de mon cerveau.
Au plaisir de vous lire.

poulidor said:
Merci pour tous ces compliments. Perpicacité, clairvoyance et humour vous vont si bien.
Votre français, produit par un logiciel, est relativement bon. Meilleur que mon anglais issu de mon cerveau.
Au plaisir de vous lire.
Poulidor - Merci du compliment. Votre anglais est tres bon.:)

Cyclingheroes - From the outside, as Bro has said, a lot of UCI's clampdowns can be perceived cynically as sabotage, but the whole Rasmussen affair seemed to be well explained by UCI despite Prudhomme's complaints. However, it is not surprising (but very dsappointing) that there would be sabotage of the Tdf from UCI. Unfortunately the UCI may not realize how much that event represents cycling to the world.

Also your comment that you know more than you can post here indicates again how much the media is tongue-tied, perhaps due to their dependence on these bodies to ply their trade.

earth_dweller said:
yeah cos soccer is clean
It just makes me sick that sports like soccer are thought, in the public and sponsors eyes, to be clean. OP could have just opened everything up. But soccer is too big, like the Olympics, with too many influential people involved, and too much money. These sports are like the OJ Simpsons of the athletic world.:mad:

Crankyfeet said:
It just makes me sick that sports like soccer are thought, in the public and sponsors eyes, to be clean. OP could have just opened everything up. But soccer is too big, like the Olympics, with too many influential people involved, and too much money. These sports are like the OJ Simpsons of the athletic world.:mad:
We have seen this time and time again in Italy. Juventus riders who test positive and are caught on video being injected **** are immediately declared 'non-negative'. Cyclists are the only ones who dope, remember. Il calcio è pulito! :rolleyes:

For at least the last 3 years and espcially in the last year, the German media have been all over the sport and the language they use - esp on TV when they allow those they interview to speak for them - is worse than anything you'd year in America, except for perhaps Fox.

I can't see how T-Mobile wouldn't be swayed by the impact that must have on their business.