Hincapie's broken fork in Paris-Roubaix

Derk

Guest
My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about carbon
forks.

Gr, Derk

Wait a minute: are these TREK forks all carbon or did he use a fork with
aluminium steerer?

For those who didn't see what happened: the fork broke off just above the
headset. That was a nasty fall he made!

Gr, Derk

Derk wrote:
> Wait a minute: are these TREK forks all carbon or did he use a fork with
> aluminium steerer?
>
> For those who didn't see what happened: the fork broke off just above the
> headset. That was a nasty fall he made!

Damn'd I missed that. My ride today took to long. It already happened
when I turned on the TV for the live coverage.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Tim McNamara wrote:

> Scott Daubert: One thing I forgot to tell you about is that George is
> running with a different fork; it has a longer axle to crown dimension,
> and it has a longer rake than the normal Bontrager Race Lite fork.

I think Scott won't be as enthousiastic today as he sounded yesterday.

You could clearly see Hincapie holding a loose stem with the attached bar in
his hands. Then he just made a nasty fall.

I would be surprised if we wouldn't find this clip anywhere on the net....

Gr, Derk

In article <[email protected]>,
Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

> My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about
> carbon forks.

Well, at least not until we know more. The scanty information isn't
enough, basically per cyclingnews.com Belgian TV reported that the
aluminum steerer broke.

There are other reports of catastrophic failure of carbon forks to talk
about already. ;-)

In article <[email protected]>,
Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wait a minute: are these TREK forks all carbon or did he use a fork with
> aluminium steerer?
>
> For those who didn't see what happened: the fork broke off just above the
> headset. That was a nasty fall he made!

Per cyclingnews.com's report of the bike yesterday

http://tinyurl.com/e7gy6

George was riding a prototype designed to use "long" reach brakes and 26
mm tubulars, and a fork form the Satellite line:

Scott Daubert: One thing I forgot to tell you about is that George is
running with a different fork; it has a longer axle to crown dimension,
and it has a longer rake than the normal Bontrager Race Lite fork.

CN: Is this something new you'll bring into the Trek line?

SD: No, it's actually from Bontrager's Satellite line, almost from their
commuter level, but it has dimensions that are appropriate for Roubaix.
It's an in-house made fork, made at Trek from OCLV carbon, it's just on
a different model bike.

CN: Is it a steel steerer?

SD: No, it's aluminium; it's been blasted then anodized black.

> You could clearly see Hincapie holding a loose stem with the attached bar in
> his hands. Then he just made a nasty fall.

Also in close up of the crashed bike it was clearly visible that nothing
was sticking out above the headset.

"Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>> Scott Daubert: One thing I forgot to tell you about is that George is
>> running with a different fork; it has a longer axle to crown dimension,
>> and it has a longer rake than the normal Bontrager Race Lite fork.

> I think Scott won't be as enthousiastic today as he sounded yesterday.
>
> You could clearly see Hincapie holding a loose stem with the attached bar in
> his hands. Then he just made a nasty fall.
>
> I would be surprised if we wouldn't find this clip anywhere on the net....
>

> Gr, Derk

According to this:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/apr06/roubaix06/?id=/tech/2006/features/hincapie_trek
it's an aluminum steerer. Add an extra syllable if you're British.
Boonen's bike on the other hand, has a steel steerer:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/index.php?id=boonen_time/IMG_9914

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Derk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about
> > carbon forks.

> Well, at least not until we know more. The scanty information isn't
> enough, basically per cyclingnews.com Belgian TV reported that the
> aluminum steerer broke.
>
> There are other reports of catastrophic failure of carbon forks to talk
> about already. ;-)

In article <[email protected]>,
Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here you can see some of it:
>
> http://www.vrtnieuws.net/sport_master/wielrennen/protour/060409_parijs_roubaix
> _verslag/index.html?video_1
>
> Gr, Derk

The photo of Hincapie sitting on the side of the road looks like either
the stem broke or the steerer broke off at the top, by the upper headset
race. I would have expected the break to be at the fork crown race,
which would have been much more dangerous for Hincapie so alll things
considered this failure was not as bad as might have been.

In article <[email protected]>,
Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
> > Scott Daubert: One thing I forgot to tell you about is that George
> > is running with a different fork; it has a longer axle to crown
> > dimension, and it has a longer rake than the normal Bontrager Race
> > Lite fork.

> I think Scott won't be as enthousiastic today as he sounded
> yesterday.

Agreed.

> You could clearly see Hincapie holding a loose stem with the attached
> bar in his hands. Then he just made a nasty fall.

Which sounds like the top of the steerer broke off or the stem itself
broke.

> I would be surprised if we wouldn't find this clip anywhere on the
> net....

Eventually. Many times these events are posted to one of the binary
Usenet groups in sections.

In article <[email protected]>, "Ronald" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > You could clearly see Hincapie holding a loose stem with the
> > attached bar in his hands. Then he just made a nasty fall.

> Also in close up of the crashed bike it was clearly visible that
> nothing was sticking out above the headset.

That narrows it down to the aluminum steerer breaking.

quoted text:

The photo of Hincapie sitting on the side of the road looks like either
the stem broke or the steerer broke off at the top, by the upper
headset
race. I would have expected the break to be at the fork crown race,
which would have been much more dangerous for Hincapie so alll things
considered this failure was not as bad as might have been.

If tightening the stem caused a small notch in the aluminium steerer
that would explain the failure.
Phil Brown

Derk wrote:
> My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about carbon
> forks.

Thanks _so_ much for posting that header before the U.S. broadcast.

It certainly enhanced my enjoyment of the broadcast to know in advance
that Hincapie would not be winning the event...

Sheldon "Yeah, Right..." Brown
| Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Derk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about
> > carbon forks.

> Well, at least not until we know more. The scanty information isn't
> enough, basically per cyclingnews.com Belgian TV reported that the
> aluminum steerer broke.
>
> There are other reports of catastrophic failure of carbon forks to talk
> about already. ;-)

Yeh, "until we know more" ....... like the fact that George had
crashed earlier in the race - and do you think that might have
contributed to the eventual failure of the steerer?
Maybe Fox Sports or ESPN could provide more accurate reporting.

Also, I would like to add my thanks to all of those who posted the
results of the race before the US broadcast. I guess I'll know
better next year.

-- Bill

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Derk wrote:
>> My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about
>> carbon
>> forks.

> Thanks _so_ much for posting that header before the U.S. broadcast.
>
> It certainly enhanced my enjoyment of the broadcast to know in advance
> that Hincapie would not be winning the event...
>
> Sheldon "Yeah, Right..." Brown

Sheldon - some of us in the US steered well clear of anything cycling on
the 'net before watching today's delayed coverage.

The folks in Europe shouldn't feel the need to embargo what they write
in case another country doesn't show an event live!

--
R.

<> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements
<> The tall blond one. always cause trouble."
<> [email protected]

well....that certainly enhanced MY enjoyment of this fine day.....

Sheldon "The world revolves around Me" Brown wrote:

> Derk wrote:
> > My guess is that this event will be often cited in discussions about carbon
> > forks.

> Thanks _so_ much for posting that header before the U.S. broadcast.
>
> It certainly enhanced my enjoyment of the broadcast to know in advance
> that Hincapie would not be winning the event...
>
> Sheldon "Yeah, Right..." Brown
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Warning: Objects in mirror appear smarter than they are. |
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
> http://harriscyclery.com
> Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

I whined:

Richard Brockie wrote:

> Sheldon - some of us in the US steered well clear of anything cycling on
> the 'net before watching today's delayed coverage.
>
> The folks in Europe shouldn't feel the need to embargo what they write
> in case another country doesn't show an event live!

No problem with the posting. The problem was the "Subject:" heading.

If it had said something generic about the Paris-Roubaix, or perhaps had
the conventional "Spoiler alert" notification it wouldn't have been an
issue.

Indeed, I didn't read the actual _posting_ until after seeing the broadcast.

Sheldon "Common Courtesy" Brown
| Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid |
| excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide |
| lubrication where people rub together. Often the very young, |
| the untravelled, the naive, the sophisticated deplore these |
| formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and |
| scorn to use them. No matter how "pure" their motives, |
| they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not work |
| too well at best. --Robert A. Heinlein |

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> I whined:
>
> >> Thanks _so_ much for posting that header before the U.S. broadcast.
> >>
> >> It certainly enhanced my enjoyment of the broadcast to know in advance
> >> that Hincapie would not be winning the event...

> Richard Brockie wrote:
> >
> > Sheldon - some of us in the US steered well clear of anything cycling on
> > the 'net before watching today's delayed coverage.
> >
> > The folks in Europe shouldn't feel the need to embargo what they write
> > in case another country doesn't show an event live!

> No problem with the posting. The problem was the "Subject:" heading.
>
> If it had said something generic about the Paris-Roubaix, or perhaps had
> the conventional "Spoiler alert" notification it wouldn't have been an
> issue.
>
> Indeed, I didn't read the actual _posting_ until after seeing the broadcast.
>
> Sheldon "Common Courtesy" Brown
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid |
> | excessive wear. Honorifics and formal politeness provide |
> | lubrication where people rub together. Often the very young, |
> | the untravelled, the naive, the sophisticated deplore these |
> | formalities as "empty," "meaningless," or "dishonest," and |
> | scorn to use them. No matter how "pure" their motives, |
> | they thereby throw sand into machinery that does not work |
> | too well at best. --Robert A. Heinlein |
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+

The quotation in your signature suggests adapting ones
actions to the world as it is.

1. Race results will be posted in subject headers.
2. Someone will complain about 1.
3. No amount of remonstrance will change 1.

--
Michael Press

sal bass wrote:
> well....that certainly enhanced MY enjoyment of this fine day.....

Or is it Sheldon "Without me the world would be alone" Brown?