Hints for novice TdeF spectators

Spider1977

Jul 19, 2003
I'm off to the Tour for the first time next year. Three Aussie blokes, car, bikes and tents. Plan to arrive for the Pyrennes stages and then head to the Alps.

We plan to camp near key stages and then ride 50-60 km to spectator points. We have been told this is the best way to do it.

Any hints gratefully accepted.

From one aussie to another (although I'm not living there anymore and you're from Tasmania... :rolleyes: ) take a look at this thread: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t242650-.html - Check out the awesome posts by WBT (me) and it should cover everything you need to know.... let me know if you need anymore info...... enjoy ! :cool:

Spider1977 said:
I'm off to the Tour for the first time next year. Three Aussie blokes, car, bikes and tents. Plan to arrive for the Pyrennes stages and then head to the Alps.

We plan to camp near key stages and then ride 50-60 km to spectator points. We have been told this is the best way to do it.

Any hints gratefully accepted.

Thanks WBT. There is a big contingent from Tassie going this year :p . Some have a lot of experience and have been a great help. Looks like I'll be packing a swag, a pair of jeans, a few cycling clothes, sunscreen, my trusty Merida with the Ksyrium wheels and Conti tyres and heading off to the Qantas counter next July :cool:. Can't wait to tuck into a fresh croissant and horrible black coffee in the morning as the sun rises over Alpe de Huez :D .

In the meantime I'm going to ride to the top of Mt Wellington once per week for practice. I'll be the guy going up the hill in 39-27 :eek: !

get the stage maps, on the big climbs the roads get clogged with people so you'll need to be there days in advance. For finishes you'll want to be near the line hours in advance - you'll be in position for a prime spot. have a plan. My wife and I did the tdF last year with virtually no planning, and got by, but we also missed being in a few places we really wanted to be because of it.

This year will be a bit easier since they are coming right past my house july 4th!

HR