Hip-Belt Squat

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by The Crow, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. The Crow

    The Crow Guest

    Is this an entirely useless variation? Surely you couldn't manneuver large
    weight - squatting levels of weight - around with you on a hip-belt? Maybe
    it's okay if you're a bit of a beginner, and thus the weights are relatively
    light.

    Tags:

  2. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "The Crow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is this an entirely useless variation? Surely you couldn't manneuver large
    >weight - squatting levels of weight - around with you on a hip-belt? Maybe
    >it's okay if you're a bit of a beginner, and thus the weights are relatively
    >light.

    It's useful for people with spinal problems and/or shoulder issues who
    cannot hold a bar in the normal squat position. Are you sure you know
    the difference between a "dip belt" and a "hip belt"?

  3. Lee Michaels

    Lee Michaels Guest

    "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "The Crow" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this an entirely useless variation? Surely you couldn't manneuver
    >>large
    >>weight - squatting levels of weight - around with you on a hip-belt?
    >>Maybe
    >>it's okay if you're a bit of a beginner, and thus the weights are
    >>relatively
    >>light.

    > It's useful for people with spinal problems and/or shoulder issues who
    > cannot hold a bar in the normal squat position. Are you sure you know
    > the difference between a "dip belt" and a "hip belt"?

    Who was that author/gym owner/guru from Canada?? The name slips my mind.

    He had the slickest hip belt setup I ever saw. Those guys moved awesome
    amounts of weight on it too.

    He did them on a platform. The weights were located at least three or four
    feet below the platform. The chain from the hip belt went through a hole in
    the platform. A steel beam ran vertically through this whole setup. On the
    steel beam was a set of handles that ran up and down the beam on some
    industrial rollers.

    These handles allowed the trainees to keep their balance while doing the hip
    squats. Often a fellow trainee would provide assistance at the bottom of
    the movement so they could even lift more weight.

    Not for sissies. These guys lifted far more weight in this movement than
    they did in the conventional back squat.

  4. The Crow

    The Crow Guest

    "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "The Crow" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Is this an entirely useless variation? Surely you couldn't manneuver
    >>large
    >>weight - squatting levels of weight - around with you on a hip-belt?
    >>Maybe
    >>it's okay if you're a bit of a beginner, and thus the weights are
    >>relatively
    >>light.

    > It's useful for people with spinal problems and/or shoulder issues who
    > cannot hold a bar in the normal squat position. Are you sure you know
    > the difference between a "dip belt" and a "hip belt"?

    No. Good point.

  5. "The Crow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is this an entirely useless variation? Surely you couldn't manneuver
    > large weight - squatting levels of weight - around with you on a
    > hip-belt? Maybe it's okay if you're a bit of a beginner, and thus the
    > weights are relatively light.

    One recent IronMind catalogue had a picture of a WSM winner doing
    these - get up on boxes, use a loading pin, and you can handle a ton of
    weight this way. A hip belt and a dipping belt aren't terribly
    different in concept. Here's IronMind's, rated to 3,500 lbs:

    http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1220

    It'll set you back $95 plus shipping, but I imagine you can trust it to
    handle the weight. :)

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com