hip pain - Snapping hip syndrome?

jza86058

Jan 5, 2005
Hi, I'm 37 years old and have been training for about six years now. I had some reasonable results last year and just missed getting my 2nd Cat license by a few points. Unfortunaly however I have developed an odd hip pain. It's hard to describe and I am no medical expert so take these terms with a pinch of salt. Basically, I get an achy pain in the area to the rear of my greater trochanter (bony prominance on femur) pretty much all the time. Occasionally when, for example, I straighten up after tying a shoe lace I can feel something "ping" in my hip - which I guess could be my Tensor Facia Lata? muscle. It only affects my right side, but I'm starting to imagine the same sensation on the other side now as well. (had it for about 9 months ).

I have read about something called "lateral extra-articular snapping hip syndrome" and it sounds about right (certainly better than the bad back - referred pain diagnosis my physio gave me).

Has anybody else had this type of thing? Can anybody help recommend a set of suitable stretches / exercises that might ease the problem?

The pain is not bad enough to stop me competing yet, but it's a worry. p.s. I had a hip x-ray and it was normal.

Your help is much appreciated.

Welcome to your late thirties.:)

jza86058 said:
Hi, I'm 37 years old and have been training for about six years now. I had some reasonable results last year and just missed getting my 2nd Cat license by a few points. Unfortunaly however I have developed an odd hip pain. It's hard to describe and I am no medical expert so take these terms with a pinch of salt. Basically, I get an achy pain in the area to the rear of my greater trochanter (bony prominance on femur) pretty much all the time. Occasionally when, for example, I straighten up after tying a shoe lace I can feel something "ping" in my hip - which I guess could be my Tensor Facia Lata? muscle. It only affects my right side, but I'm starting to imagine the same sensation on the other side now as well. (had it for about 9 months ).

I have read about something called "lateral extra-articular snapping hip syndrome" and it sounds about right (certainly better than the bad back - referred pain diagnosis my physio gave me).

Has anybody else had this type of thing? Can anybody help recommend a set of suitable stretches / exercises that might ease the problem?

The pain is not bad enough to stop me competing yet, but it's a worry. p.s. I had a hip x-ray and it was normal.

Your help is much appreciated.

hi,
your iliopsoas muscle that connects from ur lumbar spine to the LESSER trochanter , this muscle's function is for trunk flexion, in snapping hip syndrome this muscle actually is snapping over the lesser trochanter( not greater trochanter) and it usually make a pop sound when you flex your thigh up and down or when u step on things, you need to see a chiropractor because if you left it to snap over and over it might cause psoas tendonitis which is inflammation in the psoas muscle!
basically your psoas muscle is over active and it's compensating for ur abdominal muscles and that causes the snapping as it's stretched. home stretches are abdominal bracing, you could find some abdominal bracing stretches on you tube, search for (abdominal bracing levels are dead bug, dying bug, plank) try to work on ur abs more and don't stress over ur psoas
&& i just realized now that your post was 6 years ago.........great!

well am not a chiropractor yet, i am a student! plus i am new to this forum and thought i could help! i was confused with the date of post and the date of joining, what's ur deal? are u that kind of a person that like to go online and leave offending replies to ppl cause you can't do something useful? u seem to have a problem with chiropractors, anyways, it was meant to the help the person who is in pain and if u can do something to help the guy why dont u leave him a useful comment instead of being mean and inappropriate! GET A LIFE!!

i think wat u need to do is to find a good psychiatrist coz u seem to have some major anger management issue, Good luck!

Why are you rambling on to your own posts? Is it something that Chiropracters do - ignore reason and just ramble?

If you are having problem with your hip the pain will run very close to your groin area. Most guys decribe as a deep numb pain.

Your pain the way your describe sounds more LBP. X-rays do not so much. I would recommend an MRI.

-js

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

If you are having problem with your hip the pain will run very close to your groin area. Most guys decribe as a deep numb pain.

Your pain the way your describe sounds more LBP. X-rays do not so much. I would recommend an MRI.

-js
A psoas problem will show up in either the groin, hip or lower back... It's a weird beastie.

But as I said earlier, before a mod went on a mass delete of all my posts, you need to get it released and stretched before you start doing core exercises as described by the chiro-student, otherwise you'll just be further worsening the situation.

Originally Posted by chirostudent .

i think wat u need to do is to find a good psychiatrist coz u seem to have some major anger management issue, Good luck!

Lets cut to the chase here.

How would you feel if you visit many different Chiropractic establishments and after several visits to each you felt either the same or worse.

How would you feel if you told the Chiropracter what was wrong (based on this showing similar symptoms to something I'd had to deal with when racing back in the 80's and 90's) and being totally ignored and having random suggestions from back surgery to shoulder problems and pretty much everything else in the book of "quack science" apart from the one thing that I'd mentioned.

How would you feel if you felt your health was put at risk - namely from every Chiropracter wanting to take several x-rays. If you visit more than a 1/2 dozen Quackopracters you're gonna end up glowing in the dark... But they didn't care because you paid in advance - you say no, they get in a huff and sulk.

Almost 12 months, lots of $'s and no result from the Chiro-quacko-practers, bt one visit to a good physio place and life was good.

Do you really expect me to feel any different about your future profession than I do?

... and why is it that most Chiropracter places require booking a set number of visits when a good physio can get you sorted in short order?

because u dont understand , if u have been going to a CHIROPRACTOR for 12 months that means u r the one who keeps wanting to go, if it didn't work for u at least from the third visit , logic would say STOP going , find some other kind of therapy that suits u,oh and for ur notice chiropractors are DOCTORS!!!!
our degree is DC which is a doctor of chiropractor, 4 years of study including 2 years in clinic, it's something that ur brain will never understand, by the way did u find a good psychiatrist or shall i recommend u one :) try to find something useful to do because i promise u i wont be looking at this post again as i dont have time for ur **** and ******** , find a job ...become a physio! get a life u know! good luck again :)

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

A psoas problem will show up in either the groin, hip or lower back... It's a weird beastie.

But as I said earlier, before a mod went on a mass delete of all my posts, you need to get it released and stretched before you start doing core exercises as described by the chiro-student, otherwise you'll just be further worsening the situation.

Until you have a diagnosis of what is going on, he should be doing any further exercising. A good PT would be able to release the psoas muscle in a few sessions. If that does not seem to help him he should take it to the next step. Cause of insurance issues most guys would have to take several weeks of PT before getting approval for an MRI. The problem is finding a good PT person. That is very difficult.

As far as Chrios going I have my own experience and my own opinion as I know many people claim they have saved their lives but I am not a big fan of it. But many swear by it.

-js