Hip pain trouble

T

Theo James

I am an avid runner and I am training for a marathon on 4/26. I usually run 30+ miles per week and
this weekend I am scheduled for my last long run (22 miles). Over the last couple of weeks I have
begun to develop hip pain. I have done a lot of research and I can not find something specific to my
symptoms, so I thought I would try here. I have been running for 18 months and I have already run
one marathon. Except more a few more miles and converting from hockey to racquetball as my main
cross training sport, there have been no chnages in my training (miles, location, etc.)

I have hip pain with these symtoms:

Pain is nearly equal on both hips

Pain is outside on the very top of the hip (if you placed your hands on your hips, they would sit
about the pain points)

I do not experience pain during running (except at the very start of the run)

Pain seems to be worse after sitting for awhile. Getting up and the first 10 steps hurts and I feel
stiff, but after that it subsides.

Rest seems to help, so does Ibuprofen. I do strech a little before I run and for about 2 minutes
after a run.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--Theo

I agree with Bill. Had similar symptoms for the past few weeks. Went to Austin to run the Capital
10000 and could hardly walk when I arrived. My brother-in-law hooked me up with a chiropractor
friend. 3 adjustments later I'm pain-free! You will need to get some specific stretching exercises
for long term relief though. Good luck.

Bill-always hard-Rodgers wrote:

>>I am an avid runner and I am training for a marathon on 4/26. I usually run 30+ miles per week and
>>this weekend I am scheduled for my last long run (22 miles). Over the last couple of weeks I have
>>begun to develop hip pain. I have done a lot of research and I can not find something specific to
>>my symptoms, so I thought I would try here. I have been running for 18 months and I have already
>>run one marathon. Except more a few more miles and converting from hockey to racquetball as my
>>main cross training sport, there have been no chnages in my training (miles, location, etc.)
>>
>>I have hip pain with these symtoms:
>>
>>Pain is nearly equal on both hips
>>
>>Pain is outside on the very top of the hip (if you placed your hands on your hips, they would sit
>>about the pain points)
>>
>>I do not experience pain during running (except at the very start of the run)
>>
>>Pain seems to be worse after sitting for awhile. Getting up and the first 10 steps hurts and I
>>feel stiff, but after that it subsides.
>>
>>Rest seems to help, so does Ibuprofen. I do strech a little before I run and for about 2 minutes
>>after a run.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>--Theo
>>
>
> Get yourself to a good chiropractor, those are classic sciatia signs.
>
> Bill R.
>
> =============> - -- - (_!_)
> OO

[email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >I am an avid runner and I am training for a marathon on 4/26. I usually run 30+ miles per week
> >and this weekend I am scheduled for my last long run (22 miles). Over the last couple of weeks I
> >have begun to develop hip pain. I have done a lot of research and I can not find something
> >specific to my symptoms, so I thought I would try here. I have been running for 18 months and I
> >have already run one marathon. Except more a few more miles and converting from hockey to
> >racquetball as my main cross training sport, there have been no chnages in my training (miles,
> >location, etc.)
> >
> >I have hip pain with these symtoms:
> >
> >Pain is nearly equal on both hips
> >
> >Pain is outside on the very top of the hip (if you placed your hands on your hips, they would sit
> >about the pain points)
> >
> >I do not experience pain during running (except at the very start of the run)
> >
> >Pain seems to be worse after sitting for awhile. Getting up and the first 10 steps hurts and I
> >feel stiff, but after that it subsides.
> >
> >Rest seems to help, so does Ibuprofen. I do strech a little before I run and for about 2 minutes
> >after a run.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >--Theo
>
> Get yourself to a good chiropractor, those are classic sciatia signs.
>

I have looked at sciatica and it does not quite look that way. I have no numbness in my legs, etc. I
thought that sciatica also related to presure on the sciatic nerve and would not neccessarily be
running related.

--Theo