Hip pain trouble

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Theo James, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Theo James

    Theo James Guest

    I am an avid runner and I am training for a marathon on 4/26. I usually run 30+ miles per week and
    this weekend I am scheduled for my last long run (22 miles). Over the last couple of weeks I have
    begun to develop hip pain. I have done a lot of research and I can not find something specific to my
    symptoms, so I thought I would try here. I have been running for 18 months and I have already run
    one marathon. Except more a few more miles and converting from hockey to racquetball as my main
    cross training sport, there have been no chnages in my training (miles, location, etc.)

    I have hip pain with these symtoms:

    Pain is nearly equal on both hips

    Pain is outside on the very top of the hip (if you placed your hands on your hips, they would sit
    about the pain points)

    I do not experience pain during running (except at the very start of the run)

    Pain seems to be worse after sitting for awhile. Getting up and the first 10 steps hurts and I feel
    stiff, but after that it subsides.

    Rest seems to help, so does Ibuprofen. I do strech a little before I run and for about 2 minutes
    after a run.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    --Theo

    Tags:

  2. I agree with Bill. Had similar symptoms for the past few weeks. Went to Austin to run the Capital
    10000 and could hardly walk when I arrived. My brother-in-law hooked me up with a chiropractor
    friend. 3 adjustments later I'm pain-free! You will need to get some specific stretching exercises
    for long term relief though. Good luck.

    Bill-always hard-Rodgers wrote:

    >>I am an avid runner and I am training for a marathon on 4/26. I usually run 30+ miles per week and
    >>this weekend I am scheduled for my last long run (22 miles). Over the last couple of weeks I have
    >>begun to develop hip pain. I have done a lot of research and I can not find something specific to
    >>my symptoms, so I thought I would try here. I have been running for 18 months and I have already
    >>run one marathon. Except more a few more miles and converting from hockey to racquetball as my
    >>main cross training sport, there have been no chnages in my training (miles, location, etc.)
    >>
    >>I have hip pain with these symtoms:
    >>
    >>Pain is nearly equal on both hips
    >>
    >>Pain is outside on the very top of the hip (if you placed your hands on your hips, they would sit
    >>about the pain points)
    >>
    >>I do not experience pain during running (except at the very start of the run)
    >>
    >>Pain seems to be worse after sitting for awhile. Getting up and the first 10 steps hurts and I
    >>feel stiff, but after that it subsides.
    >>
    >>Rest seems to help, so does Ibuprofen. I do strech a little before I run and for about 2 minutes
    >>after a run.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>--Theo
    >>

    > Get yourself to a good chiropractor, those are classic sciatia signs.
    >
    > Bill R.
    >
    > =============> - -- - (_!_)
    > OO

  3. Theo James

    Theo James Guest

    [email protected] (Bill-always hard-Rodgers ) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >I am an avid runner and I am training for a marathon on 4/26. I usually run 30+ miles per week
    > >and this weekend I am scheduled for my last long run (22 miles). Over the last couple of weeks I
    > >have begun to develop hip pain. I have done a lot of research and I can not find something
    > >specific to my symptoms, so I thought I would try here. I have been running for 18 months and I
    > >have already run one marathon. Except more a few more miles and converting from hockey to
    > >racquetball as my main cross training sport, there have been no chnages in my training (miles,
    > >location, etc.)
    > >
    > >I have hip pain with these symtoms:
    > >
    > >Pain is nearly equal on both hips
    > >
    > >Pain is outside on the very top of the hip (if you placed your hands on your hips, they would sit
    > >about the pain points)
    > >
    > >I do not experience pain during running (except at the very start of the run)
    > >
    > >Pain seems to be worse after sitting for awhile. Getting up and the first 10 steps hurts and I
    > >feel stiff, but after that it subsides.
    > >
    > >Rest seems to help, so does Ibuprofen. I do strech a little before I run and for about 2 minutes
    > >after a run.
    > >
    > >Any ideas?
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >
    > >--Theo
    >
    > Get yourself to a good chiropractor, those are classic sciatia signs.

    I have looked at sciatica and it does not quite look that way. I have no numbness in my legs, etc. I
    thought that sciatica also related to presure on the sciatic nerve and would not neccessarily be
    running related.

    --Theo